Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lima Upgrade Changes – Eff. Jun. 1, 2010

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2010, 9:15 am

Programs: CO Plat
I strongly agree but as Scott mentioned they believe the dynamics have changed. I think we will see some Elites using a cheaper option (CO is not the cheapest option to go to LIM). Also, some others (including myself) flying on CM more often. In any case, I hope that CO reconsiders this change in the near future if they realizes that its frequent fliers on this route have taken other options.
Old May 11, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: OnePass Platinum
Originally Posted by CVCONDE
Your only problem is that CO is the only game in town if you want a non-stop flight to LIM.
True, but at this point, I'll just look at price. I've flown decent one stops on Taca, American, Delta, and I'm sure I can get a better price and even maybe upgraded.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
I guess I don't understand something here, your profile says you are based at IAH and CO Insider said this in his follow-up post: "The product on the Houston - Lima service will not change, at least not for now, but it's still a BusinessFirst seat (and by Jun, a >20% chance of a flat-bed seat), expanded catering, and a 3,000+ mile journey."

So how does this change affect you?
Old May 11, 2010, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
What CO Insider means is the "soft" product will not immediately change. The upgrade process will though (for the entire U.S. to LIM, which is currently only IAH and EWR).
Old May 11, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA - GS/1MM, Marriott- PT, SPG-Gold/Fairmont Presidents
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by CO Insider
Hi Everyone, I wanted to give you a heads up and some background behind a change we’ll be making to our upgrade policy for our flights between the U.S. and Lima, Peru (LIM). Specifically, Continental flights booked for travel on or after June 1, 2010 between the U.S. and LIM will no longer be eligible for complimentary Elite upgrades, and service fees for OnePass upgrade rewards will correspond with our current policy for upgrading to BusinessFirst.

Here are some additional details:
  1. Why are we doing this? With this policy change, flights between the U.S. and LIM will match the OnePass upgrade policies and service fees as our longer flights, such as those between the U.S. and Europe, since they are comparable in both flight duration and onboard product. As you may know, this is something we continually look at. For example, last year, we amended our upgrade policy to allow complimentary upgrades between California and Hawaii because the duration, aircraft and service on these flights was more in line with our domestic product. In the case of LIM, the reverse is the case. Flights between the U.S. and LIM primarily offer a product that’s closer to our BusinessFirst offering, and the length of these flights is comparable to BusinessFirst flights we operate between the U.S. and Europe. For example, New York/Newark (EWR) - LIM is actually longer than New York/Newark - Paris (CDG).

2. Copa flights aren’t part of this change. Flights operated by Copa Airlines (CM) between Panama and LIM are not included in this policy change, and will continue to be eligible for complimentary Elite upgrades.

3. Elite upgrades will continue to be honored through May 31. For those of you traveling between the U.S. and LIM between now and May 31, 2010, your Elite upgrades will be honored within our existing Elite upgrade policies and process.

4. Traveling Jun. 1 or after, but booked before May 10? We’ve got you covered. For those of you who have travel booked on or before today (May 10, 2010) between the U.S. and LIM, we will ensure your complimentary upgrade request is honored in accordance with the upgrade policies in effect when you booked your flight. In fact, we will be confirming your upgrade in advance for you and any travel companions in your reservation, regardless of your Elite level. As long as there’s a seat in the cabin, we’ll do it. This process should be complete in the coming week.

5. OnePass upgrade reward service fees will start in June. Service fees for OnePass upgrade rewards will take effect with redemptions Jun. 10, 2010 onward.
I think I’ve covered it, but if you have any questions, post them here.
Scott: Thanks for the update, however, as a flyer from IAH to LIM, and having paid for the "BF" seat, I find this very sad. Recent service does not reflect CO's business class. While I do agree that it is a long flight, I too struggle with the logic of removing this perk for the customers that have been loyal to CO. As a long time flyer with CO, through the good and bad days, it saddens me to see CO rush to become one of the crowd (and now joining the great aviation names in history Pan AM, TWA, Braniff, New York Air, etc....).
Old May 11, 2010, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by tw747
While I do agree that it is a long flight, I too struggle with the logic of removing this perk for the customers that have been loyal to CO.

It may be related to the UA/CO reciprocity that's coming up soon. Since UA doesn't serve this destination (and relied on TACA for S.Am. service prior to CO joining *A), there may be an influx of UA pax on this route eligible for upgrades.

Perhaps due to the length of the flight, CO realized there's potential to sell this space for upgrades vs. making them complimentary, and if so, might as well do this now before offering this to and then taking it away from UA Elites.
Old May 11, 2010, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by transportbiz
I guess I don't understand something here, your profile says you are based at IAH and CO Insider said this in his follow-up post: "The product on the Houston - Lima service will not change, at least not for now, but it's still a BusinessFirst seat (and by Jun, a >20% chance of a flat-bed seat), expanded catering, and a 3,000+ mile journey."

So how does this change affect you?
It used to be a EUA. Now it is miles + copay. The upgrade is tremendously more expensive now.
Old May 12, 2010, 1:36 am

Programs: UA Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by channa
It may be related to the UA/CO reciprocity that's coming up soon. Since UA doesn't serve this destination (and relied on TACA for S.Am. service prior to CO joining *A), there may be an influx of UA pax on this route eligible for upgrades.

Perhaps due to the length of the flight, CO realized there's potential to sell this space for upgrades vs. making them complimentary, and if so, might as well do this now before offering this to and then taking it away from UA Elites.
Hmm.

Plausible.
Old May 12, 2010, 5:24 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Can CO Insider or others address the challenge for IT regarding to EUA for booking prior to May 12?

I certainly dont want to miss an upgrade because the failure of IT because of the change, and the gate agent says that the flight after June 1 wont be eligible for EUA.
Old May 12, 2010, 6:23 am

What IT challenges are you refering to?

CO Insider said in the original post that eligible flights booked prior to May 10 would be upgraded "by next week" (based on space availability). There also has been another post about a Labor Day reservation already having been upgraded and booked into "R".

I assume that Reservations booked into "R" or "ZE" will be honored by the GAs. Of course CO Insider will be able to validate this.
Old May 12, 2010, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CVCONDE
What IT challenges are you refering to?

CO Insider said in the original post that eligible flights booked prior to May 10 would be upgraded "by next week" (based on space availability). There also has been another post about a Labor Day reservation already having been upgraded and booked into "R".

I assume that Reservations booked into "R" or "ZE" will be honored by the GAs. Of course CO Insider will be able to validate this.
I looked at my reservation for June 11 and found that I had been upgraded on my LIM-IAH non-stop (R class). I booked the ticket in March.
Old May 12, 2010, 9:59 am
Original Member

I haven't been upgraded yet, even though there are plenty of seats available. But I booked on May 10, and I'm not flying until early August, so if they're going through in chronological order, they may just not have gotten to me yet.
Old May 12, 2010, 11:29 am

I have two trips on consecutive weeks (EWR-LIM) in mid-July that are yet to clear.
Old May 12, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium
20k miles richer

i posted earlier and thought i'd let you know the outcome as i'm very pleased with co (at the moment!).

originally booked ewr - lim - ewr for labor day weekend. coach on the flight down, and upgraded from n with 20k miles on the way home. since they are giving the eua now, i called and asked for my 20k miles back and since the cabin is pretty empty, the eua should clear. my eua ewr - lim already cleared over the weekend. i spoke to a number of confused people and finally a nice guy moved my friend and me back to N and said to wait for the eua in a couple of days. 20k miles are yours and we won't charge a redeposit fee.

i'm pleased to say that i got my 20k this morning and as of 30 mins ago i'm back in R. my friend has his miles and is still waiting for the eua. could be a lag since he's silver, who knows.
Old May 12, 2010, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by mc0107
i posted earlier and thought i'd let you know the outcome as i'm very pleased with co (at the moment!).

originally booked ewr - lim - ewr for labor day weekend. coach on the flight down, and upgraded from n with 20k miles on the way home. since they are giving the eua now, i called and asked for my 20k miles back and since the cabin is pretty empty, the eua should clear. my eua ewr - lim already cleared over the weekend. i spoke to a number of confused people and finally a nice guy moved my friend and me back to N and said to wait for the eua in a couple of days. 20k miles are yours and we won't charge a redeposit fee.

i'm pleased to say that i got my 20k this morning and as of 30 mins ago i'm back in R. my friend has his miles and is still waiting for the eua. could be a lag since he's silver, who knows.

Somebody at CO must really like you! I have two flight segments in mid-July that have yet to be upgraded (and I am a Plat). Both flights are pretty empty up front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.