Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lima Upgrade Changes – Eff. Jun. 1, 2010

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG
[QUOTE=kuwaito;13933282]As as result, i think we will see many flights to LIM going with an empty BF cabin. QUOTE]

A few years back, Lima was a BusinessFirst desitination, and then they changed it to an EUA deestination. Now it's back to BF. When it was a BF destination a few years ago, the front cabin was empty all the time. CO must think the dynamics have changed on this route in recent years??
Old May 10, 2010, 3:01 pm

Programs: CO Plat
The only change in the dynamics that I can forsee is that a few (really just a few) will pay for the upgrades with cash and miles. But again, I can forsee many (by not saying most of the flight) to go with an empty BF cabin. Is CO weighing a few (again a very few) dollars and miles collected more than what they were providing to its elite members who frequently fly on this route?
Old May 10, 2010, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Thanks for letting us know!
Old May 10, 2010, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dlen111
rif im not mistaken HNL upgrade fees (on BF routes) are a bit lower than other BF markets.
You are mistaken. There used to be a spread on the H fares (no charge for HNL, $50 for real BF IIRC) but that went away a couple years ago.

As for LIM having been a BF destination "a few years back" it must be more than 5, likely many more. For a long time now the LIM route has been a gem for elites. The flight is longer than EWR-UK/Ireland and was EUA-able. They cannot improve the service enough to take away the value of losing that benefit.

I wonder if they'll realize fewer upgrades and start over-selling Y and throw OpUps at elites if they are not selling out up front. Sortof the same effect but with the folks willing to upgrade in advance actually paying for it rather than just using the miles.
Old May 10, 2010, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Nooooooooo.

That is my main route when I go to South America.
Old May 10, 2010, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Received this in my inbox: (have a flight to Lima in mid-June that I booked in February)

New Upgrade Policy for Continental Flights Between the U.S. and Lima
Effective June 1, 2010.

Beginning in June, we will be changing our upgrade policy for Continental flights between the U.S. and Lima. Our front cabin service will be similar to our BusinessFirst product and will continue to offer sleeper seats and a variety of dining and entertainment options.*

Flights booked for travel on or after June 1, 2010, between the U.S. and Lima, will no longer be eligible for complimentary Elite upgrades and service fees for OnePass upgrade rewards will correspond with our current policy for upgrading to BusinessFirst. With this policy change, flights between the U.S. and Lima will match the same OnePass upgrade policies and service fees as our longer flights, such as those between the U.S. and Europe, since they are comparable in both flight duration and onboard product. Flights operated by Copa Airlines between Panama and Lima are not included in this policy change and will continue to be eligible for complimentary Elite upgrades.

We have noticed that you have an upcoming Continental flight between the U.S. and Lima. Since this reservation was made before today, we will ensure your complimentary upgrade request is honored in accordance with the upgrade policies in effect when you booked your flight. This will happen automatically and will not require any action on your part.

Thanks for choosing Continental and we hope you enjoy your flight.
*Sleeper seats and entertainment may vary by aircraft. Concierge service and some onboard amenities will not be offered.
Old May 10, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: CO Plat
i guess it's official now
Old May 10, 2010, 3:57 pm

*Sleeper seats and entertainment may vary by aircraft. Concierge service and some onboard amenities will not be offered.
So, no, it is not BF service. Just CO raising the costs of upgrades on this route with no commensurate improvement in service.

At least they had the decency to not call it an "enhancement" while they took away a benefit.
Old May 10, 2010, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium
i've got a trip...

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I'm reading it that flights booked today will be proactively upgraded.
Anyone booking to LIM?
my friend and i have a flight booked for labor day wknd. we bought r/t coach and used 20k miles on the return to upgrade. got an email yesterday from CO and noticed i'm in R both ways now. thought they messed up but my friend also got the email so i thought something else must be going on.

i'm on the phone with them now to figure out if i'm getting my 20k miles back.
Old May 10, 2010, 5:15 pm

I can't think of a reason to go to Lima, yet.

That said - I would not mind so much if this is marketed simmilar to Business First Service, available to the rest of South America, EZE, GIG, with simmilar amenities, flat beds, amenity kits, etc.

Last edited by meFIRST; May 10, 2010 at 5:21 pm
Old May 10, 2010, 5:15 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DiverDave
(Maybe there will be a rush of reservations made to Lima today?)
Originally Posted by sbm12
I considered it but CO Insider's post says "before May 10" so they're already on to us.
To clarify, we'll honor the upgrade for reservations made on or before May 10, 2010. Still not counting on a rush, DiverDave. Then again, this is FlyerTalk.

Originally Posted by EWR764
In a nutshell, BusinessFirst upgrade rules without the BusinessFirst service.

From a catering standpoint, CO treats LIM like a transcon with a pre-arrival snack.
Originally Posted by sbm12
So, no, it is not BF service. Just CO raising the costs of upgrades on this route with no commensurate improvement in service.
Not exactly, sbm12 and EWR764. The service on New York/Newark - Lima will be upgraded to include a similar modified BusinessFirst service as our Hawaii BusinessFirst service. Printed menus and ice cream sundaes will be the notable adds on this route. The product on the Houston - Lima service will not change, at least not for now, but it's still a BusinessFirst seat (and by Jun, a >20% chance of a flat-bed seat), expanded catering, and a 3,000+ mile journey.

Originally Posted by kuwaito
As as result, i think we will see many flights to LIM going with an empty BF cabin. IMO this is just a way of CO to attempt to collect more revenue via the fees to be charged in this route.
Hi kuwaito, LIM has always been on the margin for us, and you're right, it's been a considered BusinessFirst market before. We had our reasons for removing that designation way back when, and now the market dynamics have changed once again. Suffice to say, we wouldn't be making this change if we didn't think there'd be a meaningful difference to our performance on these routes. Competitively speaking, I hope you'll agree we still offer one of the most generous Elite upgrade policies between the U.S. and Latin America.
Old May 10, 2010, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by CO Insider
To clarify, we'll honor the upgrade for reservations made on or before May 10, 2010. Still not counting on a rush, DiverDave. Then again, this is FlyerTalk.

Not exactly, sbm12 and EWR764. The service on New York/Newark - Lima will be upgraded to include a similar modified BusinessFirst service as our Hawaii BusinessFirst service. Printed menus and ice cream sundaes will be the notable adds on this route. The product on the Houston - Lima service will not change, at least not for now, but it's still a BusinessFirst seat (and by Jun, a >20% chance of a flat-bed seat), expanded catering, and a 3,000+ mile journey.

Hi kuwaito, LIM has always been on the margin for us, and you're right, it's been a considered BusinessFirst market before. We had our reasons for removing that designation way back when, and now the market dynamics have changed once again. Suffice to say, we wouldn't be making this change if we didn't think there'd be a meaningful difference to our performance on these routes. Competitively speaking, I hope you'll agree we still offer one of the most generous Elite upgrade policies between the U.S. and Latin America.
Then this is not so bad. (the sundae's, printeed menu's, amenity kits). It's give and take. But If I were a marketing person, I'd call this a "service enhancement" and market it as a Businessfirst product, instead of the transcon with pre-arrival snack.

Does anyone know if AA allows stickers on MIA-LIM?
Old May 10, 2010, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Well played, sir. ^ Thank you for clarifying.....!

David
Old May 10, 2010, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Will it be branded as BusinessFirst* service like Hawaii? It is pleasing to hear that the service standard is being upgraded to go with the increased cost of of access.

I suppose if market conditions are the driver then business travel to LIM must be on the upswing. Good news for CO. Again, I'm ambivalent about the change, but it's certainly a benefit cut to Elites.
Old May 10, 2010, 7:26 pm

That's quite an expensive ice cream sundae. And the IAH folks don't even get that. The seats were already there anyways; it isn't like you're switching from 735s to 752s and providing a significant improvement in the product as part of this change.

I'm still calling this one crappy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.