FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Which PC's Will Close/Consolidate? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1081272-pcs-will-close-consolidate.html)

Plus1 May 4, 2010 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by belynch (Post 13895787)
Discussed up-thread. Red Presidents Club. :-:

Why would they name an airport lounge after Hugo Chavez? :confused:

Plus1 May 4, 2010 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 13895925)
Well, in seriousness....

Why on earth would anybody want that?

rankourabu May 4, 2010 5:35 pm

Will the new Red Presidents' Carpet Clubs take care of the current club pets?

danville 1K May 4, 2010 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 13898245)
SFO PC is most definitely toast. Question is whether they'll open a new club in the T3 AA AC space if they get that pier.

CO and US are scheduled to move into T3, so getting the pier isn't in question. Opening a club in the AA AC space is an entirely different question though. The RCC in T3 tends to be pretty crowded early mornings and late afternoons already, so adding the CO and US pax to the mix would be interesting if they don't open another club.

MIA-SAT May 4, 2010 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by fed planner (Post 13895571)
New terminal opening this fall and a new PC is being built there to replace the existing one. Of course things can change, but with the new terminal, CO and UA will be behind the same security, so RCC members would be able to access it (prior to any gate consolidation). Even though we now have a couple of RJs to IAH, there are still a lot of flights, and the current PC has more traffic now then it ever has. I'm sure that will factor in any decision to close it.

fp

SAT also does some substantial Priority Pass traffic as the only carriers in Terminal 2 SAT are AA and CO. I use Priority Pass there when I am going out AA as there is no Admirals Club and I see that others do as well from the sign in list because Priority Pass still requires paper signins. I have been told by the PC staff that the club is a net revenue maker. UA's presence in SAT is pretty weak, it is really a three carrier town with AA, CO and WN. The weakness out of SAT has always been westbound traffic, which had been pretty much conceded to WN. (US is a joke out of SAT.) Put the UA routes at the disposal of the SAT bound passengers and CO is a pretty strong competitor with WN and AA. Finally there is only one other club at SAT, a tiny MX club in Terminal 1. Unless there is a major scaleback on all PC's, I think SAT would be way down on the potential closing list If anything, the consolidation of UA's westbound traffic with CO's only helps keep the PC open at SAT.

fozz May 4, 2010 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by belynch (Post 13895538)
...They can call it the Red President's Club with flagship facilities in Houston Bush and Reagan DCA.

Red Presidents Club? Sounds like a communist gentleman's club.

Isn't that the name of the Aeroflot club?

fozz May 4, 2010 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh (Post 13898210)
I'm a bit worried about this one actually. I can well see UA (powered by CO) deciding there is no need for club presence in Terminal 6, and directing everyone to the RCC or IFL in T7. It's a hell of a walk!

Originally Posted by channa (Post 13898245)
I wouldn't be so sure about that. With CO's LatAm service (and marketing), LAX is probably a hub slated for growth, so they'd want to hang onto that T6 club.

I believe UA has the master lease on some of the T6 gates they're subleasing to other carriers.

SFO PC is most definitely toast. Question is whether they'll open a new club in the T3 AA AC space if they get that pier.

I agree. I doubt that they would close the club in T6 as T6 is the one that can carry a larger amount of international traffic.

I do believe that UA gave up some of the rights to T6 a few years ago since the city of LA was accusing them of under utilizing the facility. I can't remember what they got in return, but they did get something.

T6 is currently the misfit terminal with all the random airlines flying in there and I'm sure DL would love to get it's hands on more gates there if they could.

fozz May 4, 2010 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 13898337)
UA already closed theirs.

And UA moved it's gates to Terminal E to be close to Pclub at DFW.

fozz May 4, 2010 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike (Post 13898485)
US is a :-:A member thru almost the end of 2014 unless another round of consolidation happens. Didn't Dougie ask for and get a 5-year extension because of CO joining?

Indeed. Prior to approving CO's joining, US did demand a five year extension.

Dougie must be really scared now.

buckeyefanflyer May 4, 2010 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 13898786)
The New UA will probably try to eliminate FLL and PBI like they did in the past. After the local media gets wind of all the anti-merger protests down there, the new company will likely lose what's left of its market share and be forced to cede the market to US, DL, and AA.

I'd be surprised if we see any more than an RJ or two in FLL and PBI in a year.

:D

On the other hand maybe UA will resume ORD-FLL service.

EWR-FLL is a very busy market, espeially in the winter, I doubt it would be cut. FLL-IAH does good too as does FLL-CLE. United flew CLE-FLL in the 1970's and even used DC-10's in the winter.

fozz May 4, 2010 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 13898786)
The New UA will probably try to eliminate FLL and PBI like they did in the past. After the local media gets wind of all the anti-merger protests down there, the new company will likely lose what's left of its market share and be forced to cede the market to US, DL, and AA.

I'd be surprised if we see any more than an RJ or two in FLL and PBI in a year.

:D

I suspect they will resurrect the MIA hub and then use their new partnership with Greyhound to shuttle people back and forth from PBI and FLL.

ConciergeMike May 4, 2010 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by fozz (Post 13900517)
I suspect they will resurrect the MIA hub and then use their new partnership with Greyhound to shuttle people back and forth from PBI and FLL.

Said shuttle between PBI and FLL will be available on super-cheap very restricted fares, and the Greyhound will be called the Riff-Raff Express. Veggie burgers will be served onboard.

fozz May 4, 2010 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike (Post 13900535)
Said shuttle between PBI and FLL will be available on super-cheap very restricted fares, and the Greyhound will be called the Riff-Raff Express. Veggie burgers will be served onboard.

And the ELR seats will include AC as the "standard" seats will only have paper fans.

ConciergeMike May 4, 2010 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by fozz (Post 13900621)
And the ELR seats will include AC as the "standard" seats will only have paper fans.

A shuttle connecting two airports could quite easily be defined as an Air Bus. Guess driving on 95 Is Not Possible anymore either.

channa May 4, 2010 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by fozz (Post 13900517)

United Express operated by Boca Airbus of Fort Lauderdale