FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Which PC's Will Close/Consolidate? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1081272-pcs-will-close-consolidate.html)

ConciergeMike May 4, 2010 12:37 am

Originally Posted by JSlo (Post 13894642)
LOL thanks for the warning! I was in FLL not that long ago, I know there isn't a RCC there but didn't see the PC. Drat. Next time.

Blink and you miss it. It's next to C1.

ConciergeMike May 4, 2010 12:38 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 13894646)
No way. That's AA/CO country. They're not going to give those TX markets any reason to defect to AA.

AA is UA's arch nemesis. With UA in the mix, you'll see the combined carrier being more aggressive towards AA.

I'm going to keep this on my clipboard.

http://cdn.gameist.com/static/conten...g_and_miss.jpg

PhlyingRPh May 4, 2010 12:52 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 13894646)
With UA in the mix, you'll see the combined carrier being more aggressive towards AA.

Well they haven't been so far! If you want to get aggressive, you take the fight to AA's hub, you tear it's behind open, climb in and spraypaint "UA was here!" all over the place. That hasn't been happening.

In fact, look at UA's presence at DFW - it's pitiful! And I don't see much change here, even with the merger (hope I'm wrong)... A couple of SFO flights, a handful of ORD and DEN, and RJ's to IAD and LAX. CO has been slightly more aggressive but its' still mostly RJ's - a couple to CLE, many per day to IAH and a couple of 737's to EWR. I do hope they get more aggressive with AA from a mainline perspective at DFW, but I am not holding my breath.

PhlyingRPh May 4, 2010 12:54 am

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike (Post 13894554)

LOL

ConciergeMike May 4, 2010 12:58 am

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh (Post 13894690)
Well they haven't been so far! If you want to get aggressive, you take the fight to AA's hub, you tear it's behind open, climb in and spraypaint "UA was here!" all over the place. That hasn't been happening.

In fact, look at UA's presence at DFW - it's pitiful! And I don't see much change here, even with the merger (hope I'm wrong)... A couple of SFO flights, a handful of ORD and DEN, and RJ's to IAD and LAX. CO has been slightly more aggressive but its' still mostly RJ's - a couple to CLE, many per day to IAH and a couple of 737's to EWR. I do hope they get more aggressive with AA from a mainline perspective at DFW, but I am not holding my breath.

That first paragraph is wonderfully funny imagery. ^

There is a reason that the CO fleet leads (or at least always comes close) the industry in utilization. They over-schedule. CO does not have the airframes to expand all that much. Once the fleet rationalization part of the merger comes around, we'll see what happens.

buckeyefanflyer May 4, 2010 2:11 am

Why would FLL be gone. United does not even serve FLL and the CO club is always packed.

mach92 May 4, 2010 2:51 am

DFW gone AUS gone

sbm12 May 4, 2010 6:39 am

Originally Posted by JSlo (Post 13894589)
I bet DEN PC will close. I was in there the other week. It's a weird location and very small. Not so great.

It has been closed for 3 weeks now. @:-)

For those who haven't figured it out, half the posts in this thread are about as sarcastic as one can get. :-:

belynch May 4, 2010 7:01 am

In the spirit of a merger of equals...

I think they should merge the RCC's and PClubs to create a hybrid product. They can call it the Red President's Club with flagship facilities in Houston Bush and Reagan DCA.

To combine UA's and CO's philosophies, alcoholic beverages will be free. Sodas, juices, and water will require a drink chit which you can get from the dragons. Premium water (bottled) and exotic sodas (celery) will require two drink chits.

Internet access will be free, but it will no longer be offered by WiFi. You'll have to fight for one of a half dozen ethernet cables, which will be located as far from outlets as possible.

Snacks, cheese, and mouse food will continue to be complimentary.

fed planner May 4, 2010 7:06 am

SAT

New terminal opening this fall and a new PC is being built there to replace the existing one. Of course things can change, but with the new terminal, CO and UA will be behind the same security, so RCC members would be able to access it (prior to any gate consolidation). Even though we now have a couple of RJs to IAH, there are still a lot of flights, and the current PC has more traffic now then it ever has. I'm sure that will factor in any decision to close it.

fp

Scott6067 May 4, 2010 7:09 am

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike (Post 13894609)
JSlo, you have not met a small PClub until you transit FLL. I'm as grateful as any to have a lounge, but damn. It's a PCloset.

I never got that image of the FLL lounge. I will stop in there and make sure we are talking about the same lounge! :)

Originally Posted by DCBob (Post 13894624)
DCA - definitely gone.

I think that UA and CO will see the reason to keep that lounge. Maybe hard for connections but the historic significance of it and the views it has are outstanding, granted I have not been in the UA Club there.

I think a lot of the PC intergration issues have more to do with the current contracts that CO and UA currently have in place with the airports. I am sure that CO's DIA contract was up for renewal and they choose to leave vs. upping for a new one.

The sad part is the new PC in SAT will be half the size of the current one according to the people working at SAT as the airport refused to give them any more space for the club. That will be a lose especially as CO currently doesnt have a partner in the same terminal as they use.

hopefully we see the expansion of the clubs in the future as there are many cities they could serve. I also hope that the PC team is the ones who lead the transition force and help to update the furnishings to the CO standard while looking to some of the offerings of food and beverage to a degree from the UA clubs but for sure keeping the free bar with paid liquer concept which I fell CO knows is the best model!!

westtexas May 4, 2010 7:14 am

Originally Posted by mach92 (Post 13894960)
DFW gone AUS gone

I hope this is not hope triumphing over reason here, but I do not see any of the three Texas clubs going away. Indeed, I think the merger actually enhances their prospects since you go from having flights to IAH and EWR to (depending on which one) LAX, SFO, ORD, IAD, and DEN.

SAT is also building a new club in someone else's terminal. AUS is the state capitol, and my guess is that it is good to keep the legislators happy near what will continue as a major hub-- particularly since AA has a hub a few feet away. DFW I will make another thread on, but I think their position becomes better too.

belynch May 4, 2010 7:15 am

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike (Post 13894609)
JSlo, you have not met a small PClub until you transit FLL.

I think the LGA PClub is smaller. @:-)

The SFO club, I believe, is smaller than FLL on a sq. foot basis too. It's certainly darker. :rolleyes:

ConciergeMike May 4, 2010 7:26 am

Originally Posted by belynch (Post 13895622)
I think the LGA PClub is smaller. @:-)

The SFO club, I believe, is smaller than FLL on a sq. foot basis too. It's certainly darker. :rolleyes:

Plenty of time spent in FLL vs. zero at the other two. Note to self: use a different lounge in SFO.

JC1120 May 4, 2010 7:31 am

On the same thread, I wonder what the new RCC/PC will be called.

Though I think losing the DCA club would be a travesty, they could make up for it by renovating all the remaining RCCs with PClub decor and amenities.