FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Distance between C and E gates in Houston Airport? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1079055-distance-between-c-e-gates-houston-airport.html)

Boleslav Apr 27, 2010 7:17 pm

Distance between C and E gates in Houston Airport?

How many minutes regular walking pace does it take to get from gate C36 to E20 in Houston International Airport?
thank you.

sdm1130 Apr 27, 2010 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Boleslav (Post 13855572)
How many minutes regular walking pace does it take to get from gate C36 to E20 in Houston International Airport?
thank you.

All of the E and C gates are about 5-10 minutes away from each other.

Bonehead Apr 27, 2010 7:20 pm

I timed myself Sunday from E16 to C30 (one of the longest treks at IAH) just in case you asked this question, Boleslav. I walked very briskly and used all the moving walkways (still walking)...9 minutes. Getting to the north concourse of C (e.g., C-18) would have taken a couple more minutes, I'm guessing. Your walk, if taken at a more leisurely pace than mine, I would estimate at 11-13 minutes.

rkkwan Apr 27, 2010 7:26 pm

It's almost exactly 1,000yd between those gates, as measured on Google Earth, so 0.57mile. If you walk 3MPH, it'll take you 0.19hr or about 11.5 minutes.

Edit: There are some moving sidewalks in Terminal E. So, if you keep walking on them, you can cut down a minute or so. But it will take longer if you stand on them.

trm2 Apr 27, 2010 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan (Post 13855629)
Edit: There are some moving sidewalks in Terminal E. So, if you keep walking on them, you can cut down a minute or so. But it will take longer if you stand on them.

But some of the moving sidewalks are currently out of order.

theblakefish Apr 27, 2010 7:46 pm

Yep...the sidewalks and the tram are out of order a lot lately, so it could be a veeeeerrrrrry long walk, depanding on your gates....

Platcomike Apr 28, 2010 6:24 am

Be sure to watch out for carts, especially in the relatively narrow corridor between C and E. They are not allowed to have horns, so all they can do is shout "cart" or something else clever to get you out of the way.

BTW, the signs are pretty good, so it is easy to find the way. From c36 you take a right at the first intersection and then straight on to the end of E (two moving sidewalks, if moving) and take another right. See map on the website or the magazine.

cova Apr 28, 2010 6:45 am

If you want to take an easy walk - figure 15 minutes. 10 minutes if you walk fast. Maybe 8 if you run. But the corridor has been narrowed in C as you connect to E with bars, shops, etc so you will be dodging people if you walk/run at a pace faster than the flow.

Also many times there are gate changes at the last minute so always check the monitors as soon as you exit (or ask the redcoat). If your C gate were to change to the north section of Term C - then take the overhead train from C to E. But from the south side of Term C - walk.

belynch Apr 28, 2010 8:09 am

Originally Posted by rkkwan (Post 13855629)
It's almost exactly 1,000yd between those gates, as measured on Google Earth, so 0.57mile. If you walk 3MPH, it'll take you 0.19hr or about 11.5 minutes.

This post is way too helpful for FT. :rolleyes:

Bonehead Apr 28, 2010 8:13 am

Originally Posted by belynch (Post 13858251)
This post is way too helpful for FT. :rolleyes:

Hey...I actually timed my walk, and get no love?

belynch Apr 28, 2010 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 13858273)
Hey...I actually timed my walk, and get no love?

I'll give you a :-:

rkkwan got the :rolleyes:-out because he posted not only an answer but a (relatively) detailed analysis for how he got to that answer so the OP could related to their own situation and modify.

Your reply, while solid, had a lot of variables. Your gait / pace may be significantly different than the OP's.

Plus, your post was a little :rolleyes:CD. Who times their walks between gates? rkkwan was a bit more autistic. And we all know the FT community embraces and fosters autistic tendencies.

:D

rkkwan Apr 28, 2010 9:43 am

Haha... You guys are funny. :rolleyes: :p

snod08 Apr 28, 2010 9:45 am

Originally Posted by belynch (Post 13858694)
I'll give you a :-:

rkkwan got the :rolleyes:-out because he posted not only an answer but a (relatively) detailed analysis for how he got to that answer so the OP could related to their own situation and modify.

Your reply, while solid, had a lot of variables. Your gait / pace may be significantly different than the OP's.

Plus, your post was a little :rolleyes:CD. Who times their walks between gates? rkkwan was a bit more autistic. And we all know the FT community embraces and fosters autistic tendencies.

:D:D

Bonehead Apr 28, 2010 9:49 am

Originally Posted by belynch (Post 13858694)
I...your post was a little :rolleyes:CD. Who times their walks between gates? rkkwan was a bit more autistic. And we all know the FT community embraces and fosters autistic tendencies.

This question comes up all the time, and realizing that I had one of the longer walks at IAH, I decided to establish a data point. Note that my contribution is empirical, whereas "the autistic one" has not included consideration of the moving walkways.

By the way, I'm 6'3" with a pretty long stride when I get going (no one passed me during my walk to C-30), and I pushed a little old lady out of the way on one of the moving walkways, slowing me down slightly. Hope that additional data helps.

belynch Apr 28, 2010 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 13858899)
and I pushed a little old lady out of the way on one of the moving walkways, slowing me down slightly. Hope that additional data helps.

Did you steal her marble rye? :rolleyes:

See, now you've got me all :rolleyes:CD. I'm 6'3" too and have a runner's gait and invariably have connections in IAH that seem to be equivalent to landing in DFW and departing in IAH. I'll have to check your timing and I can provide another data-point for aggregate.

A couple things that handicap me:
  • I generally detour through B if I have more than 30 minutes to grab a Shipley and/or a football sized baked potato full of meat.
  • I often check double-ply status in the P(oop)Club. Especially if the prior flight was the "Fiber special" of Total Cereal, Banana, Bran Muffin, and coffee.