Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unusual VDB Idea

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: My views are entirely my own and do not represent my employers or their shareholders in ANY way.
Unusual VDB Idea

Hi Folks,

Long time lurker, rare poster here (not by choice, I haven't been able to break into the traveling ranks in my profession). Since CO switched to *A, I've flown them a few times getting from DEN to the east coast. Over the holidays, I encountered some IRROPS due to weather and was able to execute a non-standard VDB request. I was scheduled to fly CLE-DEN, but I was able to give up my seat, stay a few more days with family and fly DTW-IAH-DEN two days later. I have a flight coming up tomorrow that seems to be oversold, so if I get an opportunity to VDB, I want to make the most of it. Here goes:

I'm currently scheduled to fly DEN-CLE-BDL tomorrow, with the second leg being the problem. Now besides the natural animosity towards all things immediately south of my home state of MI (it's taught early, I can't help it), I don't have anything against CLE per se, but I'd like to avoid spending the night there if at all possible. So, do you think that asking for the late flight CLE-EWR and remaining overnight there before connecting to the early EWR-BDL the next morning is something a GA can make happen? Is what I'm suggesting even remotely possible or am I being completely unrealistic?

Thanks for reading this far into my n00b post, and as always I'd greatly appreciate any answers you may have.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
If CLE-EWR (overnight) EWR-BDL is faster, you might be able to use that as justification.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: My views are entirely my own and do not represent my employers or their shareholders in ANY way.
Thanks, channa. I'm counting seats now to see what the most likely options will be. I appreciate the quick response.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:30 pm

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
If you are pleasant with the GA, it should not be a problem. Once I took a VDB from IAH - EWR, and they almost routed me through LAS (I said I would appreciate earning some more miles), but they got me a last minute direct to EWR the next day on first.

I think most GA appreciate volunteers, as it makes their job easier then having to deal with a customer that has been involuntarily DB'd.

Also don't be afraid to ask for first if available on the routing you are taking for future VDBs. Just be nice about it. something like "hey is there anything in First class available by any chance?"
Old Apr 21, 2010, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll be sure to bring my Jason Bateman-esque charm to the gate with me in CLE. For now, I'm just watching the ELR seats get snapped up on my flight. One more and I'm not getting on the plane unless someone doesn't show. Wish me luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.