ELR Seat Poacher Busted

Old Apr 19, 10, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
ELR Seat Poacher Busted

Flight 1702 this morning, EWR-SFO. I was sitting in 16D (exit row aisle with full recline - pretty good seat considering I was 23 on the UG list). Shortly before departure, this exchange happened between an FA and the man in 16B:

FA: I need to see your boarding pass.
16B: It's with my bag, back there. (He pointed towards the rear of the plane.)
FA: You need to move back to your assigned seat.
16B: (rising) But this seat was empty.
FA: You know, these seats have an extra charge. ()

Former 16B collects his things and heads back. New occupant of 16B is an off-duty CO FA, with correct boarding pass.

Good move by the FA ^, but I wonder if she would have enforced the "extra charge" is the seat was unassigned.
Old Apr 19, 10, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Good.
Old Apr 19, 10, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Odds are the F/A acted in this manner because the deadheading employee was to occupy the unsold seat. Apparently in all other circumstances it is policy for CO F/A's not to enforce ELR seats against poachers, at least for the time being.
Old Apr 19, 10, 4:55 pm

The F/A was correct. In the event of the seats being assigned, they most certainly are supposed to have the right butts in them - like any other seat. The current policy will assign non-revs the ELR seats if left otherwise unoccupied. So, because the seat was assigned to someone - non-rev or not- the F/A did the right thing.
Old Apr 19, 10, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Going from my brief experience non-reving, one sits in the seat the GA put one in.

The FA was well within their rights to drop the hammer on the seat poacher.
Old Apr 19, 10, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
^ - now this means the FA COULD do the same when the seat is empty - just bring the credit card machine like UA does!
Old Apr 19, 10, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cova View Post
^ - now this means the FA COULD do the same when the seat is empty - just bring the credit card machine like UA does!
I would like this, too. ^
Old Apr 19, 10, 5:12 pm

And then the FA would get called in and 1) asked why a customer complained about being charged onboard for an ELR seat when that is not the policy in place, and 2) why the FA charged 10 minis and 3 headsets on this customer's credit card...
Old Apr 19, 10, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LukeSkywaiter View Post
And then the FA would get called in and 1) asked why a customer complained about being charged onboard for an ELR seat when that is not the policy in place, and 2) why the FA charged 10 minis and 3 headsets on this customer's credit card...
I wasn't specific enough in agreeing with an earlier post. I would like to see CO institute a policy where FAs can collect the ELR charge onboard.
Old Apr 19, 10, 5:56 pm

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by CopperSteve View Post
New occupant of 16B is an off-duty CO FA, with correct boarding pass.

Good move by the FA ^, but I wonder if she would have enforced the "extra charge" if the seat was unassigned.
Sorry, but the f/a in 16B WAS indeed ON DUTY, being positioned to work another flight an hour after they landed.
Old Apr 19, 10, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by guaCOmole View Post
Sorry, but the f/a in 16B WAS indeed ON DUTY, being positioned to work another flight an hour after they landed.
do you have inside info? how do you know it wasn't just someone commuting home? i tried pulling the list up in sonic but it's not working...
Old Apr 19, 10, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by CopperSteve View Post
Good move by the FA ^, but I wonder if she would have enforced the "extra charge" is the seat was unassigned.
I had some poacher on a UA flight the other day. The FA walks up with manifest and credit card machine in hand and says, to 15F: "That'll be $69, will that be credit or debit?"

^^^
Old Apr 19, 10, 8:08 pm

Programs: Continental
What happened then?
Old Apr 19, 10, 8:21 pm

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by warreng24 View Post
I had some poacher on a UA flight the other day. The FA walks up with manifest and credit card machine in hand and says, to 15F: "That'll be $69, will that be credit or debit?"

^^^
Seriously, they do this on UA?

On a full flight, is there ever a bidding war at the seat, for the seat???

Last edited by CLEHillbilly; Apr 19, 10 at 8:22 pm Reason: Add "for the seat"...
Old Apr 19, 10, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by warreng24 View Post

^^^
I'll admitt the samething happened to me when I took an aisle seat in E+. I didnt know they watched it like a hawk.

I felt slightly embrassed. So what could I do I reached into my wallet and gave her my 1k Card, then I explained that I like aisles but all that was available when I boked was a window, and an asile never opened. Running late for the flight I didnt have a chance to check with the GA if there was an open aisle or not.

I also handed her my BP showing E+ window. She said no problem and excused herself as she went to the guy in my assigned window seat and said Credit or Debit, she got 1, the guy handed over his card and paid up.

Search this Thread