Volcanic activity 4/15 CO flights..

Old Apr 17, 2010, 9:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
So I am flying CO120 EWR-BCN on Thursday and this thing has me pretty worried. I thought that Spain would be safe from all of this but then they cancelled that route tonight. Do you think it makes sense to try and change my flight to Madrid? This is for vacation and all we were doing in BCN was connection to SVQ (Sevilla) which Madrid is closer to anyways. It is still 5 days away but I don't want to get stuck in EWR on standby or something.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by dav373
So I am flying CO120 EWR-BCN on Thursday and this thing has me pretty worried. I thought that Spain would be safe from all of this but then they cancelled that route tonight. Do you think it makes sense to try and change my flight to Madrid? This is for vacation and all we were doing in BCN was connection to SVQ (Sevilla) which Madrid is closer to anyways. It is still 5 days away but I don't want to get stuck in EWR on standby or something.
If it were me, I would wait to see how tomorrow plays out and look for updates on forecasts of where the ash is moving and a time frame of when it may (possibly) be moving out. If you do switch to MAD and it messes up your BCN-SVQ flight, can you pay the premium for the AVE (I ask because there is a chance that those flights intra-Spain could be booked full for a while because of people stranded the past few days)? I am seeing $88 one way from Madrid Atocha to Sevilla S. Justa departing either 10:05 or 4:10, all other times are $112.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
If I made it to Madrid I would definitely take the train. I'm seeing train tickets from $88 - $112 and then I wouldn't have to worry about it, though, if I made it in from EWR I doubt MAD-SVQ would be an issue. I'll wait it out for a couple of more days, hopefully no new explosions and no more closures of Spain air space.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by dav373
For starters, I wouldn't read much into CO's cancellations today. Like I said on the last page, it is looking like CO jumped the gun on BCN and FCO. US, United, and Delta all have flights currently enroute to Barcelona. The airport was closed for a brief time today, but reopened.

That being said, as we've seen the past several days, depending on the volcanic activity and the winds, the situation can change. At this point, I wouldn't think about changing the reservation. Today went against what I'm about to say, but the other thing to consider here is the proximity of MAD and BCN... If the cloud ends up spreading south and affecting Spain to a greater extent, I'd be willing to wager at that point both airports will be having issues.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cjgibson
Looks like everything to Europe is cancelled tonight, except for LIS and MAD. The flight to LIS has been upgraded to a 764, and both flights to MAD have been upgraded to 764s.

Also looks like there was going to be an additional flight to FCO (flight 1950), but it has been cancelled...
yet eveyday Both flights to & from TLV have operated, wonder how they are routing them since it shows they are operating pretty much within teh reg flight times
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by craz
yet eveyday Both flights to & from TLV have operated, wonder how they are routing them since it shows they are operating pretty much within teh reg flight times
You can see last night's flight here: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C...309Z/KEWR/LLBG

Just seems to be a more southerly Atlantic crossing than normal.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by snod08
its always interesting to see Heads of State flying in commercial aircraft.

Hope he is flying BF!!
Not at all, at least if the article is correct

The article says hes in a club at JFK, CO doesnt fly into JFK, nor does SAS. It also said BA people were nearby.BA flys out of Term7 its own

does Spanair or Iberia fly out of T7 @ JFK since no other Carriers fly to MAD out of T7
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by craz
This shouldn't be that surprising. Until today, the ash cloud had been essentially only affecting the North Western portion of Europe. Everything to the Middle East has been operating. They are just taking a more Southerly route. A similar routing headed in the opposite direction from TLV-EWR gets used quite a bit.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 1:44 am

deleted

Last edited by servus; Apr 18, 2010 at 2:54 am Reason: deleting
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Mr.Nuke
This shouldn't be that surprising. Until today, the ash cloud had been essentially only affecting the North Western portion of Europe. Everything to the Middle East has been operating. They are just taking a more Southerly route. A similar routing headed in the opposite direction from TLV-EWR gets used quite a bit.
AFAIK, the cloud is going up to 25K feet. TATL flights to TLV should go above it and are not effected. It's possible they take a southern route just to make sure it does not rise above 25K.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by apirchik
AFAIK, the cloud is going up to 25K feet. TATL flights to TLV should go above it and are not effected. It's possible they take a southern route just to make sure it does not rise above 25K.
I just landed at EWR on CO 91. No issue, just took a few minutes longer - over 12 hours flying time. We landed around 10 minutes late. The path was just south of the spanish french border to avoid spanish airspace.

80% of flights Sunday at TLV are cancelled...
Old Apr 18, 2010, 5:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Mr.Nuke
A crew could be deadheading over on one of the flights. There are also a fair amount of pilots stuck in Europe right now when you think about all of the crews who got stranded over there waiting for their inbound flights that never made it in. In theory one of those crews could've been repositioned. In addition, they are now sending a 3rd 764 to MAD tonight as well from the looks of it.
It appears that they are using the same crew for the return. I see that the extra 762 to LIS arrived there at 9:32am and is not scheduled out until 6:50pm. Same thing at MAD. The extra 764 arrived at 12:43pm and is scheduled to depart at 1:15am to arrive in EWR at 3am. It suggests that they are allowing the crews the minimum times to rest and then fly the birds back home.

It looks like EWR immigration and customs folks are going to have to work at 3am tonight.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:13 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
So what European cities is CO flying out of? I was planning to head to Rome or Spain but am hearing on UK tv that more European airports are closing. My flight is Wednesday from LHR-EWR but we're hearing on tv that flights that early are probably not going to happen. So I'm trying to get back to the states and am hoping CO will work with me to fly from another city if that flight IS cancelled.

On the other hand, we're hearing that test flights are being flown in the UK to test the waters, so to speak.

Also, does CO HAVE aircraft at LHR or would we have to wait for aircraft to come in? I'm asking b/c a friend at United told me that they have no aircraft here.

I've been trying to get through to CO to see what my options are but as expected, it's a long hold.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by thaliajen
So what European cities is CO flying out of? I was planning to head to Rome or Spain but am hearing on UK tv that more European airports are closing. My flight is Wednesday from LHR-EWR but we're hearing on tv that flights that early are probably not going to happen. So I'm trying to get back to the states and am hoping CO will work with me to fly from another city if that flight IS cancelled.
Lisbon, Madrid, Rome and Athens. From what I read and hear, there is no space on trains, buses and rental cars so it's tough to find your way south by land.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Not Athens. They're not flying to ATH at this time of the year. So far, the only flights I see for tonite, 4/18 are 764 services to LIS, MAD and FCO. BCN is still listed as cancelled.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.