Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Whats the Best/Nicest Thing CO has done for you

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton

Saw a similar topic in AA, whats the nicest/coolest thing CO has done for you; gone out of there way for you during a trip or CO issue?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
It would have to be the way CO Insider handles problems.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 3:42 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Two things stand out from the past.

1) Once on an itineary with a long connect time (accepted because we were flying on multiple award tix), a GA in FLL paged me and my family first in the airport and then found us in the PC to ask if we wanted to take the earlier connecting flight because there were seats open. She said she thought we would want to be able to start our vaca earlier rather than sitting around the airport. The routing was EWR-FLL-FPO.

2) Once on an EWR-London nonstop (back in the LGW days), I got an OPUP at the gate to BF from a very low coach fare class. I think I was only silver elite at the time. The GA said "this is your lucky day, Mr. ctroadwarrior".

I also feel I've always been taken care of with IRROPS either with good alternate accomodations and/or compensation. Most of the contacts I've had with the elite desk on this and other matters have been pleasantly resolved.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 5:25 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Vacation reward travel with family transcon last two summers. Both times, turned down upgrade to sit with family. FA's were especially nice and attentive to family, making a big deal about how "important a customer I was." Very much appreciated - great way to start off and end the vacation.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 6:24 am

Programs: DL FO - CO Gold
CO compted me to Gold status from DL, thereby getting me away from that crappy airline.^
Old Apr 12, 2010, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Good thread. :-:

Overall CO has treated me very well in the couple of years they've been my preferred airline. A few things that set them apart:
  • Started with a status match to Plat. from the evil empire, aka US (CP).
  • Second year I was projecting to end the year with 74,8XX EQM's and I was having a heck of a time getting some Amtrak segments to post to put me over. CO said "no worries" and assured me Plat for the next year. I ended up booking a couple more trips, putting me over the mark anyway, but it was a nice gesture and signaled that they really appreciated my business.
  • From an operational perspective, I was transferring from one CoEx flight to another at EWR and as would have it my flight was leaving from the lone "other" gate in the AC/UA pier. When I presented myself at the bus stop the woman saw my BP and made some calls as she flagged down the bus that was just pulling out to let me on. As the bus reached the other side a red coat hopped on, called for me by name, and walked me across the tarmac to the RJ, which was all buttoned up and ready to push. The FA remarked that she had never seen them do anything like that at EWR before. The whole ground-crew at EWR did a phenomenal job that evening (and yes, I wrote to WE-CARE in hopes everyone involved received my thanks) and really salvaged the trip.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:56 am

Perhaps not the best, but certainly memorable was during a delay in Knoxville when the CO staff ordered pizza and sodas and water for the passengers. Had it all delivered to the gate area. Very unexpected and appreciated.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
+1 A big ^ to CO Insider.

I also thought it was great that CO has us over at their "house" for the DO and really made sure we all had a great time. ^
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Why would this be the best thing CO has done for you? Presumably, if CO Insider is getting involved, it's because the normal channels failed you. While he certainly can get things done, and he's a great safety net, in most cases when he gets involved it's because CO's customer service were not able to appropriately handle your situation in the first place.

As for me, CO waived a change fee once, 25 hours after making a booking (yes, my plans changed exactly 1 hour after the 24-hour refund policy had passed).
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
CO Insider rocks.

As far what CO has done for me: I love that I got a companion upgrade as a Gold, and that before I had status, my space-available upgrades would clear about one-third of the time. This seems to befuddle most FTers.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
I love that I got a companion upgrade as a Gold
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
One time 8 of us all traveling on award tickets, I got a call first thing in the morning on my cell phone from the local ticket office telling me that high winds might cancel our 6:30PM flight.

"Would you like us to put you all together on the 2:15PM flight so you are sure not to miss your connection!"

Took the offer and made our connection for sure!!!

And after checking that flight later that night, surely we would have caused us to miss creating significant problems for our family.

Thanks CO!
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:47 am
Suspended

the nicest things they have done (no special order)is;

take away Special meals from all flights except Intl and Trancons and as of 9/10 the Trancons as well

confirm FC for those paying full fare

refuse to put in E+

take away PlanB

these plus more simply make it a No Brainer for me not to spend any more $$ on CO and instead move over to UA and Ive been ever since I did so
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:25 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by ctroadwarrior
I also feel I've always been taken care of with IRROPS either with good alternate accomodations and/or compensation.
Same here (knock on wood)... e.g. the time I booked ORD-EWR-BHX with a 59 minute layover for Mrs. ralfp and me (hey, it saved me $200+ per ticket). On the ground at ORD the pilot announces a 1 hour ground hold. I called the elite desk from the aircraft and Mrs. ralfp and me were put on the EWR-BRS flight (seats 7C and 8D!). Yes, the pilot did allow cell phone calls while we were sitting at the 10 pad. Were it not for the money, I would have originally booked to BRS.

The EWR ground staff somehow managed to get our bags to the BHX aircraft in the < 10 minutes between the ORD flight's gate arrival and the BHX flight's gate departure! By the time we got to the BHX gate the aircraft was already pulling away. I was impressed, though obviously disappointed.

CO delivered our bag the next day and comped us $100 ($50 each, even though there was one bag and two PNRs) for clothing purchases. Of course we were stupid and only spent $85 or so.

In general I find that CO tells me the truth more often than other airlines. This applies whether they're being nice or scr$*ing me over. For some reason being lied to usually bugs me more than the subject of the lie (e.g. tell me the flight will be canceled and that I won't be able to clear the standby list for the next flight, don't wait an hour with BS info about the flight being delayed to save some GA the hassle. I'm talking to you, UA).

Last edited by ralfp; Apr 12, 2010 at 10:49 am Reason: grammar
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
It was thanks to CO I got to pay my first visit to Lisbon in my life.
CO38 for Oslo did not want to wait for a late flight from LAX (which included a divertion to Pitsburgh - another first-time visit for me), so it left without us. The first agent first suggested the Oslo-flight two days later, although she could only provide accomodation for one night. Then her colleague stopped her, and put us on the Lisbon flight instead

And then there was a seat change from 16A to 1F on a TATL 757 once

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.