Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Runnin' on CO . . .

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2010, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Mileage Runnin' on CO . . .

Hey, Friendly CO Folks,

New here from the UA forum. I'm making the switch from dear UA to CO or US, based on my desire to shed Starnet blocking, but preserve my allegiance to the Star Alliance.

I was hoping I could get some input before I make the final decision: Putting cabin service, IFE, and upgrade possibility aside entirely, how difficult is it to craft mileage runs on Continental? I'm coming from a context on UA where it is quite easy to throw together a six city mileage run for about 7,000 miles in just about 24 hours. Is it possible to complete something similar on CO? More difficult?

In short, I know nothing about mileage running on CO, and would love to hear any input from the CO mileage runners about the travails of booking a similar type of run. I'm based in NYC, and would mostly have weekends available.

Please forgive my general ignorance. And, yes, I tried to make a full and through search before starting this thread. Please exonerate me if I have missed something,

Gracias.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Generally speaking, routing rules and fare pricing on CO are much more strict than on UA. That isn't to say that mileage runs can't be found (especially NYC - West Coast it seems) but CO usually won't let you purchase EWR - LAX and throw in five other stops to maximize miles and segments.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA/ 1K /Marriot-Plat
Not sure if this helps but I often find ERI-LAX for $170 ai That's 5106 miles and sometime it will route ERI-CLE-EWR-LAX-CLE-ERI which gets you close to the 7k for the same $170
Old Mar 25, 2010, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
You could still buy your UA tickets at united.com for multiple segment trips - but have the mileage post to your new OnePass account.

But you will not get an elite match on CO from UA - so you will have to start out from scratch on CO.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PanHam
In short, I know nothing about mileage running on CO, and would love to hear any input from the CO mileage runners about the travails of booking a similar type of run. I'm based in NYC, and would mostly have weekends available.
Not much on CO metal. As noted the routing rules are not nearly as loose as UA has. But that doesn't mean you cannot run with OnePass. You'll just be doing it on UA tickets and UA metal using UA routings.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:03 pm

To the best of my knowledge (correct me if I am wrong)

Routing rules are strict on CO. LGA/EWR are not co-terminals. You can't decide to go to LGA when your ticket is to EWR. Execeptions are made in bad weather/irrops - also depends on the agent. trAAsh is more flexible with LGA/JFK/EWR co terimnal switching for customer recovery, CO enforces routings like it's gospel. At the end of the day, my home is in New York, and I just want to get home.

trAAsh allows you to add cities and be creative with city pairs, up to the maximum permitted mileage, and make all kinds of funky stops along the way. I believe this is a sabre thing.

CO on the other hand has mandatory routings, i.e you are going from EWR to DFW, you must fly either EWR-IAH/CLE-DFW, You cannot get creative and fly EWR-LAX-IAH-DFW on the same fare basis - it prices out completely different and becomes a fare to LAX and DFW.

Also, there are markets where CO just chooses not to compete. i.e LAX-HKG.The route for that would be LAX-EWR-HKG, a fare on OZ and UA (Star Alliance) can be had for less money, direct across the Pacific.

That being said, there are some bargains, but in general, (and I am sure I am not alone here) fares have been redicioulously expensive and the airplanes have been full to the brink.

What's the alternative? . Take a train across the country? We need to fly. (at least I do).
Old Mar 26, 2010, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Mackieman
Generally speaking, routing rules and fare pricing on CO are much more strict than on UA. That isn't to say that mileage runs can't be found (especially NYC - West Coast it seems) but CO usually won't let you purchase EWR - LAX and throw in five other stops to maximize miles and segments.
On the other hand, you can buy a UA ticket & throw in fifty five other stops & credit all of it to CO.

It would be more fitting to describe CO's routing & fare rules as normal & UA's as awfully darned sloppy. UA will complement CO well. I'm hoping they don't merge.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
If you are NYC-based and moving to CO, check out LGA and PHL. EWR never offers much in the way of quick turns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.