Interesting talk with a Silver

Old Mar 17, 10, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT
Interesting talk with a Silver

One of my clients is a Silver and did an overnight trip EWR-MIA. He said there is no benefits associated with being Silver anymore, especially if you are in a hub.
He never gets upgrades and he will have to pay for his food in the near future. The Elite Acess lines are ridiculous as you can get Elite Access with the CO Pres Plus MC. He has lifetime membership in the PC and says its hard to get a seat in EWR due to AMex Plat and now *G members in there.

He is thinking of flying other carriers since CO is not really offering him much as a SIlver. I wonder how many others feel the same way.

For me, I look to keep my Elite status up. I don't want togo back to Silver. SO, I will fly more.

Cheers
Old Mar 17, 10, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
Boarding ahead of non-elites? That's a huge advantage for people with rollaboards.
Old Mar 17, 10, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The only advantage to being Silver is Elite Access boarding. That's better than nothing.
Old Mar 17, 10, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
especially if you are in a hub.
I don't really see how being in a hub makes silver less of a benefit than being out of a hub, virtually all of CO's flights go in-or-out of their fortress hubs, so the effect is the same.
Old Mar 17, 10, 10:03 am

I'm a new silver, and I definitely think it's worth it. I'm in a hub city, so I can expect not to get upgraded (0 for 6 this year so far), but the priority check in/security lanes, no cost baggage and restricted seating access makes it worth it. I'm going to push for gold this year as I think I'll have a much better shot at upgrades next year if they don't run DEQM this year.
Old Mar 17, 10, 10:09 am

Programs: AA US
EWR Clubs have always been zoos. He should have been there when they used to serve freshly-baked cookies; it was like a cattle call, surprising the floor didn't collapse due to the sudden weight shift.

Priority boarding and priority baggage delivery, assuming you check any; that's about it for Silver benefits. (I'm a Silver.)
Old Mar 17, 10, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
The only advantage to being Silver is Elite Access boarding. That's better than nothing.
Doesn't EliteAccess come with the PPlus card, too?

The lounges are no more crowded than ever IMO. They are always crowded in EWR but it isn't any worse than it was 3 years ago to me.

That all being said, I probably wouldn't pay extra to earn Silver status. Bottom-tier elite isn't worth all that much in any program. There was some discussion of this just yesterday IIRC.

ETA: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...-co-pp-mc.html

Last edited by sbm12; Mar 17, 10 at 10:21 am
Old Mar 17, 10, 10:18 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA PPro- LT Gold, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Doesn't EliteAccess come with the PPlat card, too?
I think you mean PresPlus card (Chase MC).

PPlat (Pres Plat) cards not out yet.
Old Mar 17, 10, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cova View Post
I think you mean PresPlus card (Chase MC).

PPlat (Pres Plat) cards not out yet.
Yup...too many presidents.
Old Mar 17, 10, 10:26 am

Programs: AA PLT
In addition to priority boarding and free bags (which is huge), one benefit most people forget is access to an expanded reward inventory. That 'XN' fare bucket is restricted SaverPass reward inventory that's only available to elites. Most of the reward tickets I've booked in the past year have booked into XN.
Old Mar 17, 10, 11:12 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
I'm a brand new Silver, after getting a status match from BA Silver, and will be doing my first CO flight as a silver in a couple of months. I know that i will be able to check in at a shorter line (at least here at OSL), board earlier, and if we end up checking in more than one piece per passenger, I can do that for free. I'm happy with that.

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
That all being said, I probably wouldn't pay extra to earn Silver status. Bottom-tier elite isn't worth all that much in any program. ]
I'm silver at British Aiirways, and that does actually give me lounge-access within the entire OW network. I'd call that a quite decent bottom-tier..
Old Mar 17, 10, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Considering how there is currently a thread on this forum about how a Platinum feels his status is useless, I would tell your friend to wait in the pity party line.

And then I would tell him to read the forums of the other carriers, and see the upgrade percentage of higher level elites. The grass may seem greener, but I think if he decides to defect elsewhere, he's going to be the same boat, except he will forego some of the other benefits I see of CO - like, IME, cancelling the least amount of flights for mechanical reasons (US is notoriously guilty of this), having wonder FA's and CSR's, better fleet, etc.

Flying today isn't like how it was 20 years ago, when 25k annually earned you something and designated you as as serious FF. Sadly, silver tier is almost leisure status, considering how many miles are logged by top tier elites.
Old Mar 17, 10, 12:18 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by wcalvert View Post
I'm a new silver, and I definitely think it's worth it. ...priority check in/security lanes, no cost baggage and restricted seating access makes it worth it.
You can get all that* for $375 from Chase, plus PC membership.

*Except for restricted seating access, which ends up unrestricted and fully populated by Kettles from front to back. Some benefit!
Old Mar 17, 10, 1:50 pm

The fee-waived checked bags and priority boarding are two sides of the same coin as I see it.
1. bags are free, if you choose to check them, that is a big plus for every single flight.
2. Because bags cost more, more people are bringing them on board and taking up that overhead space. Being allowed to board early means you definitely get a space above your seat if you yourself decide to carry on.

--
Those two, in addition to priority seating, are huge. Those who disparage these benefits would do well to book a y ticket on any airline that is not in *A and see how much fun it is.
I fly US Airways semi-frequently and definitely feel the positive effects from being a *G on that carrier as opposed to nothing at all.
Old Mar 17, 10, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
You can get all that* for $375 from Chase, plus PC membership.

*Except for restricted seating access, which ends up unrestricted and fully populated by Kettles from front to back. Some benefit!
You forget non-elite now have to pay for the restricted seating as of today.

You are right about sliver is worth much less than $375 but definitely don't want to fly without some sort of status as lowly as it may be.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: