Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Newly Minted Platinum Elite - What to Expect?

Newly Minted Platinum Elite - What to Expect?

Old Mar 16, 10, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO View Post
Um, what? The OP is based in EWR. Do you think I would have written that if the OP was based in some off-brand city like SAN or Kileen, TX?
You took time to quote someone that was not the OP and attack them which was uncalled for. It works for him, and he flies CO with a high percentage of upgrades.

It doesn't mean it will work for the OP, but that is his own choice to make.
Old Mar 16, 10, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
You took time to quote someone that was not the OP and attack them which was uncalled for. It works for him, and he flies CO with a high percentage of upgrades.

As of March 16, 2010 anyone who thinks that a EWR based plat flying on anything less than YBM fares (or only on Saturdays, etc) will average 60% on EUA's is delusional. Sorry if that offends you.

Thats like saying "I just moved to NYC, can you tell me where they have the best pizza?" and someone from San Diego saying "I love this place in La Jolla"

Last edited by BigPoppaCO; Mar 16, 10 at 8:13 pm
Old Mar 16, 10, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt, Hertz President's Circle, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Gold
Many thanks for the responses, answers and spirited debate. Yes, most of my flying will be into or out of Newark. I am still anticipating maintaining my AA EXP status but I will be doing a lot of EWR-TPA and EWR-IAH flying in the next few months so CO meets my needs. Is the EWR-TPA route a difficult one for Platinum Elite upgrades on discount fares?
Old Mar 16, 10, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by family friend View Post
Is the EWR-TPA route a difficult one for Platinum Elite upgrades on discount fares?
EWR-SoFla has a lot of capacity and some of the better routes for upgrades. I haven't flown it in that direction but I do hear the people in the PClub actually do SDC and get upgrades on them quite regular. Still pick your times and days if you have the flexibility.
Old Mar 16, 10, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by family friend View Post
Many thanks for the responses, answers and spirited debate. Yes, most of my flying will be into or out of Newark. I am still anticipating maintaining my AA EXP status but I will be doing a lot of EWR-TPA and EWR-IAH flying in the next few months so CO meets my needs. Is the EWR-TPA route a difficult one for Platinum Elite upgrades on discount fares?
If you will be flying primarily between EWR and TPA then 60% is not unreasonable. Peak flying between EWR and IAH on anything less than YBM fares is.
Old Mar 16, 10, 10:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, CO MM Lifetime Gold

Attack? You're joking right? It's pretty obvious to me he was joking. I think it was hilarious! Just preparing the OP for the "new C(E)O". There are a couple other threads currently going that might help answer some of the OP's questions, but the one that sticks out the most is: CO Platinum Elite stinks....
Old Mar 17, 10, 6:52 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Avis First, HHonor Diamond, Marriot Gold
Um, what? The OP is based in EWR. Do you think I would have written that if the OP was based in some off-brand city like SAN, MSY or Kileen, TX?
I think he was thinking I was the OP which is not the case. So your witty little comment was misdirected. Oh, and I do not live in EWRland. I live in SANland. And yes, my upgrades have been roughly hovering 60 percent. I chose to live on the west coast and fly to hubs rather than the hubs out to increase my upgrade possibility. So far, its worked for me. Not only as a silver, but a lot as a gold.

I reassured the OP that switching to CO was probably a good idea (maybe not for upgrades) but otherwise yes rewarding. Although the OP has stated that they can keep AA EXP so they should be just fine if they get a lot of AA flights.
Old Mar 17, 10, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Justin7525 View Post
I think he was thinking I was the OP which is not the case. So your witty little comment was misdirected. Oh, and I do not live in EWRland. I live in SANland. And yes, my upgrades have been roughly hovering 60 percent. I chose to live on the west coast and fly to hubs rather than the hubs out to increase my upgrade possibility. So far, its worked for me. Not only as a silver, but a lot as a gold.

I reassured the OP that switching to CO was probably a good idea (maybe not for upgrades) but otherwise yes rewarding. Although the OP has stated that they can keep AA EXP so they should be just fine if they get a lot of AA flights.
A) I am glad you thought it was witty

B) Misdirected? LOL. Dude- I quoted you directly and wrote "Move to EWR-land..." (see post #12 to refresh your memory) Why would I write that if I thought you already lived there? Pay attention.

C) By writing "I chose to live on the west coast and fly to hubs rather than the hubs out to increase my upgrade possibility" you are only proving my original point about the scarcity of upgrades for plats WHO HAPPEN TO BE HUB BASED LIKE THE OP

Good lord.

Last edited by BigPoppaCO; Mar 17, 10 at 8:17 pm
Old Mar 17, 10, 10:11 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Avis First, HHonor Diamond, Marriot Gold
You are absolutely, undeniably, positively delusional. Move to EWR-land and tell us all what happens to your lovely 60% upgrade percentage as a CO Gold. Are you serious?
Glad you know your ABC's, and I'm sure you had D-Z something to say.

However, I wasn't implying that the OP would get 60 percent upgrades in EWR, I was commenting on my own being based out of SAN.

Oh and I never tried to disprove your point. Calm down, count to three or C whichever...

Why the attitude in every single line of your posts? Geez...

Blessed BE!
Old Mar 18, 10, 8:17 am

You come at the king, you'd best not miss
- Omar Little
Old Mar 18, 10, 8:50 am

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
EWR-SoFla has a lot of capacity and some of the better routes for upgrades. I haven't flown it in that direction but I do hear the people in the PClub actually do SDC and get upgrades on them quite regular. Still pick your times and days if you have the flexibility.
I fly MCO/TPA <-> IAH regularly, often during peak times, and except for the 757-200 as a plat I have experienced a 100% upgrade rate on those routes (though I typically fly H fares so I'm at the front of the queue). If EWR <-> TPA is similar, and I expect it is, then you will enjoy a lot of upgrades.
Old Mar 18, 10, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
To caveat, the answer is "Yes" out of EWR, as it is a major hub and elite-heavy. Upgrades are rare for EWR-LAX, SFO, and SEA. I've gotten upgrades easily for PDX or flights from PHL-IAH.
I don't understand this logic. Flights to or from major hubs are essentially EVERY FLIGHT in the system.
Old Mar 18, 10, 10:11 am

Programs: CO MP
Originally Posted by chiph View Post
I don't understand this logic. Flights to or from major hubs are essentially EVERY FLIGHT in the system.
Ah yes but if you in a non-hub city you are going against the traffic flow, so to speak.

A good analogy may be someone who lives downtown who works in the suburbs...this person's commute would be contra the main flow, i.e., he/she is zooming down the fwy while waving at the parking lot on the other side.
Old Mar 18, 10, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by DH77024 View Post
Ah yes but if you in a non-hub city you are going against the traffic flow, so to speak.
Until you get to the hub, then you are going with the traffic flow...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: