Food for Purchase – Coming Fall 2010

Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Glad to see this one coming! its about time, CO will finally have decent food, even if you have a pay a few bucks for it.

I'm a bit confused by the block-length definition for what will get BoB, Why not simply say all domestic flights other than ?transcons? and ?hawaii? will have BoB?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Well, I'm a little sad to see this go. It was one are that CO shone a bit more than its competitors. My wife commented to me recently on a trip to SJO, that at least she got a little food on the flight. Since this trip is usually under 6 hours, I assume no more food.

At least the change is being communicated in a forthright manner, with plenty of notice.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Originally Posted by nova08
^
The 6+ hour flights baffles me a bit, how many of them are there?
Most EWR transcons.

Considering the declining EUA rates it would be nice to use the CO currency but I doubt that will happen.
It would be nice if they take them, but I doubt they would.

I have to say I am more likely to buy something in the terminal and either eat it before the flight or bring it on so CO won't be making much money off me
+1.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:56 am

are free meals being suspended immediately? or when this takes effect later in the year?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
one of the few things that differentiates Continental from the other domestic majors is the fact that your legroom in coach is absolutely horrendous.
ZING!

To be fair, 31" is consistent with most of US' fleet. The big difference between carriers is US' Y seats (with the new covers) are surprisingly tolerable whereas the CO church pew seats are "numbing."
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by cptlflyer
It won't shock me if most of these flights end-up being "meal free" -- although most are blocked at over six hours, the actual flight times won't be. I've run into the issue with GoGo where I've been on a flight that's only 1.25 hours but have been charged the 1.5+ hour fee for inflight wifi because, as they put it to me, it's "about" 1.5 hours or more.

You have to wonder how much these flights are padded for likely delays.

An example:
EWR-SAN CO1626 is blocked at 6 hr 13 min
EWR-SAN CO1726 is blocked at 5 hr 55 min

However with a Transcon product that seems to be lagging a bit, it would behove them to continue serving meals on these flights
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
It would be interesting if they only served free meals on the westbound flights. Then again, CO previously used the expected flight time, not block time, for deciding meal service and those flights all block at just over 6 hours but generally have expected flight times of less than 6 hours. I guess we'll have to wait to see what the actual policy is when it comes into play.
Block time for the eastbound flights are all under 6 hours, so I would not expect to see anything there. Would be interesting to see if they use block time or expected flight time for the EWR westbound transcons.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
You may wish to update this page since it still reflects the "Meals at Mealtime" policy.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soccerflyer
are free meals being suspended immediately? or when this takes effect later in the year?
Re-read post 1

Hi Everyone, today we’re announcing some changes to our onboard food menus, including the introduction of food for sale, starting this Fall. Here are some of the key points:

While I don't have more details to share at this time, please stay tuned for more details as we get closer to launch
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by marklyon
You may wish to update this page since it still reflects the "Meals at Mealtime" policy.
Because, I would assume, that's the current policy until the BoB program is rolled out this fall.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
One more thought

I really like how AC administers their BOB program. For those of us that buy really high (read: profitable) fares, it's nice to get a comp'ed meal (of decent quality).

Perhaps CO can market free BOB for individuals buying B or Y fares (as well as Pres. Plats.) that are stuck in whY? Requires a bit more leg-work, but ya'll can do it.

Last edited by belynch; Mar 15, 2010 at 10:15 am
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by belynch
ZING!

To be fair, 31" is consistent with most of US' fleet. The big difference between carriers is US' Y seats (with the new covers) are surprisingly tolerable whereas the CO church pew seats are "numbing."
You are correct.

I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable UA’s seats were. ^

Last edited by jrzyshawn; Mar 15, 2010 at 10:27 am
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Well, I'm a little sad to see this go. It was one are that CO shone a bit more than its competitors. My wife commented to me recently on a trip to SJO, that at least she got a little food on the flight. Since this trip is usually under 6 hours, I assume no more food.

At least the change is being communicated in a forthright manner, with plenty of notice.
Until the USA annexes Costa Rica you have a chance. The change is only slated to affect domestic service right now with "most international flights" retaining free meals.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:12 am

I very much prefer the current "free meals at mealtime" as those who would rather different offerings and didn't like the option could always choose to purchase something before getting on the plane without negating the program. I know airlines are moving away from the advertised ticket price including everything and will be sad to see meals being included no longer be a facet of Continental on most domestic flights.

To Continental - If possible, please allow the option of paying for the meal when purchasing the ticket as it will make it much easier for some of us business travelers.

Likewise, I love the idea of possibly being able to use our co currency towards the BOB product.

I understand Continental needs to take advantage of revenue streams, but hope there can at least be the option to purchase the food during the initial purchase of our fare. (Not in lieu of also being able to make the purchase on board but to allow people who can better plan and budget by making the purchase in advance with their ticket.)
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: UA and HH
My wife is going to be devastated. The main reason she loved CO (and belynch can attest) was the free meals at meal time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.