Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Israeli Plats get free Presidents Club membership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat

I was very surprised to get a Presidents Club membership card, good through 2/11, in the mail today.

It was accompanied by a letter which said, "Continental Airlines is pleased to offer a complimentary Presidents Club membership to you" and added, "this is one of the numerous benefits you receive as one of our OnePass Platinum Elite members and resident of Israel".

This was one heck of a smart PR move by Continental -- and most likely will not wind up costing it any money.

As a Plat, I am already entitled to lounge access whenever I fly internationally -- and except for a limited number of domestic flights by Israeli companies, every flight which originates or ends in Israel is an international one.

About the only time the Presidents Club membership will come in handy is if I fly to the States, have one or more stopovers in various cities, and then fly back. In these cases, which are quite rare (both for me and most other Israelis), I will be able to get into the PC without paying.

Still, the gesture was greatly appreciated and makes it much more likely that I will choose CO for future flights (I was given the Platinum Elite status in a match offer after earning PM on Delta).

I do have one question, however, and was unable to find the answer on the CO website: Do I have to be flying CO to get into the Presidents Club or can I be traveling on any airline that day?
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Dovster
I was very surprised to get a Presidents Club membership card, good through 2/11, in the mail today.

It was accompanied by a letter which said, "Continental Airlines is pleased to offer a complimentary Presidents Club membership to you" and added, "this is one of the numerous benefits you receive as one of our OnePass Platinum Elite members and resident of Israel".

This was one heck of a smart PR move by Continental -- and most likely will not wind up costing it any money.

As a Plat, I am already entitled to lounge access whenever I fly internationally -- and except for a limited number of domestic flights by Israeli companies, every flight which originates or ends in Israel is an international one.

About the only time the Presidents Club membership will come in handy is if I fly to the States, have one or more stopovers in various cities, and then fly back. In these cases, which are quite rare (both for me and most other Israelis), I will be able to get into the PC without paying.

Still, the gesture was greatly appreciated and makes it much more likely that I will choose CO for future flights (I was given the Platinum Elite status in a match offer after earning PM on Delta).

I do have one question, however, and was unable to find the answer on the CO website: Do I have to be flying CO to get into the Presidents Club or can I be traveling on any airline that day?
If you have a Presidents Club card, you do not need to be flying CO the day you access it.

Also, you have access to the UA Red Carpet Clubs with a PC membership.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Dovster

You can be travelling on any airline that day, or not flying at all. If the CO PC is in a different terminal, you can request a gate pass to gain access to the PC.

Your point above about domestic vs. international flights doesn't matter at all anywhere outside the US - all non-US *A airlines allow *Gold (and *Lounge like PC) members access when travelling on any *A flight that day.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Also, you have access to the UA Red Carpet Clubs with a PC membership.
And also US Airways clubs.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
You can also bring in 2 guests with a PC membership.

Plus you can theoretically get a gate pass through security if you ever need lounge access without flying. You just need to remember GG Checkpoint line 53 or else you'll be in for fight to get that benefit
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC, CO, *A
So we have seen in other threads that this policy is also in effect for EU residents. Have any other international CO elites received this benefit? Canadians? Anyone in Asia?
Old Mar 11, 2010, 3:02 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K and Star Alliance Gold
Does this include Gold Elites?
Does anyone know if they are going to be sent to all EU residents with Plat and Golds
Old Mar 11, 2010, 3:38 pm

Programs: Hertz Gold, BAEC, FR Top Tier
Originally Posted by frenchykarl
So we have seen in other threads that this policy is also in effect for EU residents. Have any other international CO elites received this benefit? Canadians? Anyone in Asia?
Recent posts in other thread confirm receipt in Seoul & Taipei. I guess Canadian residents are excluded, as being too close to US (geographically, at least)?

Originally Posted by Solly223
Does this include Gold Elites?
Does anyone know if they are going to be sent to all EU residents with Plat and Golds
I could be wrong, but believe only Plats with non-N. American addresses are getting these complimentary PC memberships now (as I did yesterday, separately from my new PE card). It looks as if Golds may be missing out.

I do hope I am wrong, as will probably travel less this year, and might struggle to retain PE.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: CO Plat Elite
I just recieved my card a few days ago.... Plat in EU ( Italy)
Old Mar 11, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: CO Plat, UA 1P, AA Plat (status matched)
moving to isreal, at least virtually!!
Old Mar 11, 2010, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by sweetkiddddo
moving to isreal, at least virtually!!
Seriously; I live in the US and have a mailing address I can use in Israel; Will it be obvious to them very quickly that I am not a resident of Israel? or do you think the computer will not notice a difference (based on where all my flights originate)
Old Mar 11, 2010, 7:29 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I wonder whether PC members must fly CO to use the DAN lounge in TLV. Anyone know? It is the only third party non-airline lounge available on Co.com I think.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 7:56 pm

Programs: CO Plat, UA 1P, AA Plat (status matched)
Originally Posted by keisari
Seriously; I live in the US and have a mailing address I can use in Israel; Will it be obvious to them very quickly that I am not a resident of Israel? or do you think the computer will not notice a difference (based on where all my flights originate)
If their only requirement is to have an Isreal address then its simple. CO can't discriminate unless they establish other requirements and document it. We are just little sheeps playing their game. If this works, it may actually give me incentive to keep Platinum this year even though I haven't bought a single ticket on CO since Jan.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by GIGFY
Recent posts in other thread confirm receipt in Seoul & Taipei. I guess Canadian residents are excluded, as being too close to US (geographically, at least)?
Seoul-based Plat, and nothing for me!
Old Mar 11, 2010, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by keisari
I am certain that you can get away with it but be prepared for Israel to also believe it and start giving you 30 days a year Army reserve duty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.