Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Tricks for getting into lounge at FRA without valid card?

Tricks for getting into lounge at FRA without valid card?

Old Mar 9, 10, 5:31 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by dgilman View Post
This would make sense, if I wasn't replying to Supermasterphil who offered a hypothetical about CO employees and the P-Club, which are in the US.

This isn't about cultural differences, this is about a company, LH, empowering and EXPECTING their employees to provide good customer service in the form of looking at the intent, as opposed to letter, of the rules. And customers holding them to that expectation.
It's LH's job to do a good customer service. This includes keeping people out of the lounge (try and keep them not crowded) that don't belong there because they are either not allowed to enter or because they are not willing to understand the rules.
Old Mar 10, 10, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5-star, Marriott Gold
Well, I'm writing this post from a Senator lounge at FRA. The combination of my boarding pass with * gold on it along with my expired card and a printout of my most recent OnePass statement did the trick. I didn't even have to show the picture of the new card. Thanks for everyone's help on this.

The woman at the door explicitly asked me for "confirmation" when she saw that my card was expired and she took the statement as good enough. I can't say for sure, but it was almost as if that was their official policy right now. Don't quote me on that though.

To add to this success I even got an op-up on my MAA-FRA segment. Now, if they can manage to not lose my bag like they did on the way over, then it will have been a perfect return trip.
Old Mar 10, 10, 1:24 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by channa View Post
Your inability understand this is one of the reasons American tourists often don't do well abroad. The rest of the world doesn't work the way we're accustomed to at home.
My wife (who is American) and I used to have this argument all the time about tipping people at hotels and restaurants in the dirt poor countries I travel to for my work (as well as the better off places we tend to go on vacation). I would say that tipping is not the custom and that by doing it I was sending a message that money didn't matter and giving a bad impression somehow by not following the local rules. She reminded me that the people in those places were poor and that she was sure the money was appreciated, even if not customarily expected from all. After travelling many years, I like her argument better. The clincher was visiting a country where they had a saying "Generous like an American".

Whilst Channa's comments above might apply to the stereotype of a loud mouthed shorts wearing American slurping an ice cream in the Duomo in Firenze. I can assure you that is not true all over the world, and that in many places my welcome gets only warmer when the server in the restaurant learns I am an aussie, but living in the US. You can call it mercantile, and in wealthier countries people may be too proud to admit it, but Americans and their tipping in recognition of hospitality is one cultural trait warmly welcomed by the hotel and restaurant staff of the world.

The other thing that I would add getting back to the original example this thread is based on that whilst it's true that some cultures are more rule bound than others, many cultures are also humble enough to try to welcome guests by accomodating the customs and needs they are used to from home, even if it means treating guests differently rather than a rigid application of the "When in Rome" principle. That doesn't excuse people who travel overseas and don't bother to try to fit in, but surely it's pushing it a bit far to claim that the rigidity applied by the LH lounges when it comes to seeing your card for entry is evidence of a cultural trait to be respected as opposed to a rule bound approach that ignores the purpose behind the rule.
Old Mar 10, 10, 3:09 pm

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
Well done Optopic, a friend of mine with an expired card couldn't get in yesterday 10AM. He had a friend so I enjoyed it myself along with my new card.
Old Mar 10, 10, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by aussieinsf View Post
Americans and their tipping in recognition of hospitality is one cultural trait warmly welcomed by the hotel and restaurant staff of the world.
Of course it is. Especially in third-world countries, where Americans casually drop a few bucks which may be equal to that person's day's pay or more, with no understanding of local customs.

It really messes things up because the Americans end up getting better service, while others get worse service as a result of this expectation.

And of course the next step will be as has happened in America already -- restaurant workers' wages fall because of the expected tips, and people are churned faster through restaurants because turnover = more tips.

It is really quite relaxing to go to another country and enjoy the slow pace of a meal, even at a casual restaurant, because the tipping culture hasn't destroyed that.
Old Mar 10, 10, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I'm too lazy to search for the post, but another FTer said they went through FRA sans 2010 card. He was told there is a ONE month grace period so I wouldn't worry too much.
Old Mar 10, 10, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aussieinsf View Post
...but Americans and their tipping in recognition of hospitality is one cultural trait warmly welcomed by the hotel and restaurant staff of the world.
Yeah, the Japanese love it.

Be smart and pay attention to the cultures of the locations you are visiting. Don't just assume that you're right because you've always behaved that way. It is a very large world out there and when visiting others it is smart to play by their rules, not assume that yours apply.
Old Mar 11, 10, 1:18 am

Lounge access at CDG seemed pretty easy this morning. There was no one at the desk of the SAS lounge, so I just walked right in. Of course, to get there, I had to go through security at CDG to get there, and my jacket came out of the machine looking like a truck ran over it

Search this Thread
Search Engine: