Miles for Toronto-Havana flight on AC?

Old Mar 3, 10, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Miles for Toronto-Havana flight on AC?

Traveling from Seattle to Havana.

Due to travel embargo, I thought about driving from SEA to YVR and taking Air Canada YVR-YYZ-HAV.

Can I get OnePass miles for the flight?

Do I risk anything if I get a permanent record of my travel to Cuba on my OnePass account?

Anton
Old Mar 3, 10, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm 99% certain that you cannot accrue for travel to Havana.

There is nothing else that CO can do to you for making the trip.
Old Mar 3, 10, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Just curious - why would the OP not accrue for flights to Havana?
Old Mar 3, 10, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
I'm 99% certain that you cannot accrue for travel to Havana. There is nothing else that CO can do to you for making the trip.
I am sure CO can not do anything to me for making the trip, but if US Gov wants to prosecute me, can a record on my OnePass account be used as proof of travel?

But if I can not get miles anyway, I may just fly CO to Cancun and Mexicana CUN-HAV.
Old Mar 3, 10, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by AntonS View Post
I am sure CO can not do anything to me for making the trip, but if US Gov wants to prosecute me, a record on my OnePass account can be used as a proof of travel.

But if I can not get miles anyway, I may just fly CO to Cancun and Mexicana CUN-HAV.

Not to mention they could probably use your postings here as proof of intent and knowledge you'd be breaking the law.
Old Mar 3, 10, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you are not legally eligible to travel to Cuba then doing so via Canada is a bad idea. The airlines traversing the USA have to file a flight manifest with US authorities listing all passengers and their nationality. That can put you in quite a sticky situation.
Old Mar 3, 10, 11:16 am

Programs: Flying Nut
Also unless you have a non-US passport the airline officials at departure city have no reason to let you on the plane with an American Passport unless you have the proper exemption paperwork to fly to Cuba.

I would think as long as one has the legal right to fly to Cuba that one could get the miles. Do those in the OnePass program flying CM into Cuba not get the miles?
Old Mar 3, 10, 11:23 am

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
Originally Posted by Scott6067 View Post
Also unless you have a non-US passport the airline officials at departure city have no reason to let you on the plane with an American Passport unless you have the proper exemption paperwork to fly to Cuba.

I would think as long as one has the legal right to fly to Cuba that one could get the miles. Do those in the OnePass program flying CM into Cuba not get the miles?
That's an interesting question. What if one has a travel authorization (i.e. family in Cuba, Medical mission) or a non-us passport. Still no miles??
Old Mar 3, 10, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'd think CM flights accrue miles. There's nothing anywhere indicating any exception for travel to/from Cuba.
Old Mar 3, 10, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Sorry but this is nonsense.
Old Mar 3, 10, 11:30 am
Original Poster

I have non-US passport which I can use to enter Cuba.

However, I do not think that a non-US airline (like Air Canada or Mexicana) is going to require any exemption paperwork. Many Americans fly to Cuba every year with US passport. Cuban immigration do not stamp US passports.
Old Mar 3, 10, 11:30 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Really? Does the US deny overflight to AC aircraft carrying US residents w/o proper documentation?

Nothing here about such a requirement: https://www.continental.com/web/en-U...t/default.aspx

From CO's site for Copa: "Travel Area for Mileage Accrual: All Copa Airlines-operated flights systemwide"

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
If you are not legally eligible to travel to Cuba then doing so via Canada is a bad idea. The airlines traversing the USA have to file a flight manifest with US authorities listing all passengers and their nationality. That can put you in quite a sticky situation.
I'll 2nd this warning (no personal experience or intent, just a feeling based on stories I've been told).

The US sometimes does seem to try to enforce the travel ban (IMO a stupid thing, but that's a debate for another forum). I was once driving into the US on A15/I87 and the CBP guy, after seeing all the stamps from "interesting" countries, asked me if I had gone anywhere else besides Canada (this was in a car with Mrs. ralfp and a bunch of ski stuff). After my initial , I realized what he was thinking. It took several minutes of questions about our ski trip to convince him that I had not gone to Cuba. No, I was not so stupid as to indicate that I knew what he was thinking; the word "Cuba" was never uttered.

If I had any interest in going to Cuba (I do not), I would only consider going there on a flight that did not come anywhere near US airspace and on a PNR without a US FF account (only foreign airlines and addresses) or any info connecting me to the US. I would not pay with a US-issued credit card, initiate the purchase in the US, etc. etc.

Last edited by ralfp; Mar 3, 10 at 4:04 pm
Old Mar 3, 10, 12:46 pm

Programs: CO-PLAT, Hyatt Plat
ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS, TRAVEL TRANSACTION LIMITATIONS: The Cuban Assets Control Regulations are enforced by the U.S. Department of the Treasury and affect all U.S. citizens and permanent residents wherever they are located, all people and organizations physically located in the United States, and all branches and subsidiaries of U.S. organizations throughout the world. The regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed in order to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba. Transactions related to tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities enforce these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of the Treasury regulations could face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.
Old Mar 3, 10, 5:06 pm

Programs: United Platinum
I can't speak to whether you earn miles on the trip, but the odds of getting arrested for going to Cuba are slim. This is a story from 7/2009 and I've heard similar ones>

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32131507...more_politics/

LOS ANGELES - A U.S. citizen trying to challenge the ban on travel to Cuba on Friday bemoaned his inability to get arrested or cited even after having his passport stamped in Havana and bringing back Cuban memorabilia.

Mytchell Mora, a 39-year-old freelance entertainment news producer, said he told U.S. customs officials he broke the law after flying through Costa Rica home to Los Angeles early Friday.

Officials punched some information about him into a computer and sent him home without punishment, Mora said. They didn't even confiscate his Cuba T-shirt or postcards.

"I am just so surprised nothing happened to me," Mora, who lives in West Hollywood, said in a phone interview. "What can you really do when you're saying, 'take me to jail or give me a ticket,' and they do nothing to you?"

Mora hoped to get arrested or cited after his fourth trip to Cuba so he could challenge the country's travel ban, which he says discriminates against anyone who isn't Cuban-American and punishes Cuba's people, not its government.

Mora said he hopes he may still be cited so he can challenge the policy in U.S. courts.

Most Americans who travel to Cuba do so on the sly, sneaking in and back without permission from U.S. authorities.

But Mora is trying to make a point.

He traveled to Cuba without permission in 1999 and 2000. About six months after the second visit, he got a letter from the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control saying he had to explain why he went to Cuba, who he stayed with and how much money he spent and could face fines or jail time if he failed to respond within 10 days.

Originally Posted by ralfp View Post
Really? Does the US deny overflight to AC aircraft carrying US residents w/o proper documentation?

Nothing here about such a requirement: https://www.continental.com/web/en-U...t/default.aspx

From CO's site for Copa: "Travel Area for Mileage Accrual: All Copa Airlines-operated flights systemwide"

I'll 2nd this warning (no personal experience or intent, just a feeling based on stories I've been told).

The US sometimes does seem to try to enforce the travel ban (IMO a stupid thing, but that's a debate for another forum). I was once driving into the US on A15/I87 and the CBP guy, after seeing all the stamps from "interesting" countries, asked me if I had gone anywhere else besides Canada (this was in a car with Mrs. ralfp and a bunch of ski stuff). After my initial , I realized what he was thinking. It took several minutes of questions about our ski trip to convince him that I had not gone to Cuba. No, I was not so stupid as to indicate that I knew what he was thinking; the word "Cuba" was never uttered.

If I had any interest in going to Cuba (I do not), I would only consider going there on a flight that did not come anywhere near US airspace and on a PNR without a US FF account (only foreign airlines and addresses) or any info connecting me to the US. I would not pay with a US-issued credit card, initiate the purchase in the US, etc. etc.
Old Mar 3, 10, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by AntonS View Post
I am sure CO can not do anything to me for making the trip, but if US Gov wants to prosecute me, can a record on my OnePass account be used as proof of travel?
Of course it can be used as proof of travel for all sorts of evidentiary and investigative purposes. Not to mention, travel databases are far more accessible to the government than most here realize.

I have no idea as to your employment or career aspirations, but I would strongly caution against the trip if you have any need/intentions of trying to obtain a U.S. government security clearance in the future.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: