ewr-hkg instant upgrade?

Old Mar 2, 10, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

ewr-hkg instant upgrade?

did a search and didn't come up with a clear answer.

I am a platinum elite and flying ewr-hkg. Do upgrades clear automatically and without request. That is, without using miles...an instant upgrade?
Old Mar 2, 10, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Originally Posted by noxben View Post
did a search and didn't come up with a clear answer.

I am a platinum elite and flying ewr-hkg. Do upgrades clear automatically and without request. That is, without using miles...an instant upgrade?
On CO, instant upgrades are available to elites who purchase Y or B fares (and M fares for plats). This program is part of EUA and EUA is not applicable to flights marketed with BusinessFirst. The only way to upgrade is to get on the waitlist for a combination of miles and copay, based on your fare class.

Edit: The FAQ has complete details.
Old Mar 2, 10, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I was aware of the y,b,m class ticket. I have a B class ticket, but not enough miles at the moment. So, no upgrade?
Old Mar 2, 10, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Yeah, I was aware of the y,b,m class ticket. I have a B class ticket, but not enough miles at the moment. So, no upgrade?
Correct, a B fare requires 15,000 miles to upgrade to BusinessFirst if space is available. You will also need the amount up front to get on the waitlist as the mileage is deducted when you request the waitlisting, but would be refunded if the upgrade does not go through.
Old Mar 2, 10, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Correct, no free upgrades on the EWR-HKG route, or any other BusinessFirst marketed route.
Old Mar 2, 10, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

shenanigans! anybody feeling generous?
Old Mar 2, 10, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
shenanigans! anybody feeling generous?
Surely, someone who is a CO Plat, and has a B fare on a flight to HKG can afford to buy some miles? How many are you short?
Old Mar 2, 10, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

spent all my extra cash on the ticket.
Old Mar 2, 10, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Originally Posted by Mackieman View Post
Correct, a B fare requires 15,000 miles to upgrade to BusinessFirst if space is available. You will also need the amount up front to get on the waitlist as the mileage is deducted when you request the waitlisting, but would be refunded if the upgrade does not go through.
Actually Y class required 15,000 miles each way, B class is 30,000 miles each way
Old Mar 2, 10, 3:48 pm

spent all my extra cash on the ticket.
Then you can enjoy the straight jacket in coach.
Old Mar 2, 10, 10:26 pm

Location: Lat. N41., Long. W-75, in the NJ foothills of the Poconos
Programs: Ex-Con Million Miler, UA MM, CO Plat dozen, Onepass member since 1988
I would NOT buy a $2000 B ticket in coach

I would NOT buy a $2000 B ticket in coach, when I could buy a $1000 coach ticket, and go twice. Even with miles & $$, you are probably not going to get the comfy seat and free drinks. CO sells almost all of them for $7000 - $10,000 each. Not worth it, on my nickel.

I love HKG! Buy some good carry-on food/snacks beforehand. Buy a few drinks at the airport. Take an Ambien on the flight to erase 8 hours of the 15.

B7
Old Mar 2, 10, 10:32 pm

Programs: CO Plat, UA 1P, AA Plat (status matched)
30,000 miles is reqired for upgrade each way with a B fare regardless of status. I do this route three or four times a year. You board, eat dinner, after six hours of sleep, you're still only half way there. It is bad enough in J. Can't imagine doing it in Y.
Old Mar 2, 10, 10:49 pm

how about buying an extra seat in coach for yourself? or 2 extra seats to secure a row (if the load factor in coach is expected to be high) Be considerate and don't take up seats in the bulk head or exit row.
Old Mar 2, 10, 11:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, CO MM Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Mackieman View Post
On CO, instant upgrades are available to elites who purchase Y or B fares (and M fares for plats). This program is part of EUA and EUA is not applicable to flights marketed with BusinessFirst. The only way to upgrade is to get on the waitlist for a combination of miles and copay, based on your fare class.

Edit: The FAQ has complete details.
I have a question: I recently bought a cheap "S" fare for SEA-DEL, and got offered an upgrade for 40K miles + co-pay immediately after buying my ticket, which I did for one leg...is this normally the case (it's the first time I was offered this (and immediately processed) so soon after purchase)?

Last edited by emcsweeney; Mar 2, 10 at 11:27 pm
Old Mar 2, 10, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't buy an expensive fare hoping for an upgrade, unless I was sure that I could upgrade immediately (or refund the ticket).

I think you'd have been better off buying two seats. I've flown this route in Y, and it's a long one.

I believe that CO is coming out with real SWUs this year, so this would be a very good route to use them on, if you hit the 100k threshold.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: