Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ewr-hkg instant upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2010, 6:15 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I think you'd have been better off buying two seats. I've flown this route in Y, and it's a long one.
What would happen if in this case the flight was oversold (or just very very crowded)? Would the FA or other passengers attempt to take your 'extra' seat? Yes, I could see someone 'whipping out' their second ticket-- but I can also see the FA attempting to override this action, to get the plane off the ground and everyone in a seat. Any practical experiences here ?

I believe that CO is coming out with real SWUs this year, so this would be a very good route to use them on, if you hit the 100k threshold.
The very reason I'll be going for the extra 25,000 above Platinum
Old Mar 3, 2010, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Bernoulli 777
I would NOT buy a $2000 B ticket in coach, when I could buy a $1000 coach ticket, and go twice. Even with miles & $$, you are probably not going to get the comfy seat and free drinks. CO sells almost all of them for $7000 - $10,000 each. Not worth it, on my nickel.

I love HKG! Buy some good carry-on food/snacks beforehand. Buy a few drinks at the airport. Take an Ambien on the flight to erase 8 hours of the 15.

B7
Some EWR-HKG B fares have been going for as low as $1300. While an upgrade with miles is never definite, I'd say you have a good shot as a plat.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 6:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by emcsweeney
I have a question: I recently bought a cheap "S" fare for SEA-DEL, and got offered an upgrade for 40K miles + co-pay immediately after buying my ticket, which I did for one leg...is this normally the case (it's the first time I was offered this (and immediately processed) so soon after purchase)?
Sometimes the upgrade inventory is out there and available. Not always, but some of the time.

Originally Posted by mauld
What would happen if in this case the flight was oversold (or just very very crowded)? Would the FA or other passengers attempt to take your 'extra' seat? Yes, I could see someone 'whipping out' their second ticket-- but I can also see the FA attempting to override this action, to get the plane off the ground and everyone in a seat. Any practical experiences here ?
No, the FA is not going to do that, certainly not when you present both tickets. You can allow one of the seats to be VDB'd if you choose.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 7:53 am

Programs: UA and SPG are the two primary ones these days
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I believe that CO is coming out with real SWUs this year, so this would be a very good route to use them on, if you hit the 100k threshold.
No kidding - it's the longest route CO flies, and the 10th-longest segment flown by any airline (according to Wikipedia).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.