VDB/IDB without seat assignment

Old Feb 22, 10, 8:49 am
Original Poster

VDB/IDB without seat assignment

I'm confirmed on CO 2665 on 2/25 that's 0'd out across the board. I don't have a seat assignment, but can I VDB or be IDB'd on the flight?

I know normally you VDB if you have a seat, so I don't know about it otherwise. Also, is compensation different with an IDB vs. VDB?

Thanks
Old Feb 22, 10, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Having a seat assignment has nothing to do with it really. You can volunteer for a VDB or be IDB'd whether you have a seat assignment or not, so long as you have a confirmed ticket for the flight and otherwise meet the check-in guidelines.
Old Feb 22, 10, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

most Carriers block appx 30% of the seats for Airport check-in only. Once they reach that pt they will continue to sell seats but wont beable to give you an assigned seat. meaning Hello middle seat is a very good chance where youd end up sitting.

being Zeroed out means most likely that CO has oversold the Flight. Call up CO give them your record located and they will let you know if its OverSold. they usually wont tell you by the exact #, but if tell 'em youd like to squeeze in another meeting and would do so only if its slightly Oversold they will tell you if its a good idea to do that or not. Not a good idea usually means its way oversold but YMMV.

then keep in mind Ive been on many aflight that was way oversold and we still took off with a # of empty seats. So being 0ed out doesnt mean you will score a Bump

Last edited by craz; Feb 24, 10 at 10:26 pm
Old Feb 24, 10, 9:05 pm

Programs: TK *Gold; WN A-list; NEXUS; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I was on a CO Flight pretty recently where I had no seat assignment until checkin... they were asking for as many as 7 volunteers.. I volunteered but they ended up needing nobody. I was given a comfy seat in 20B

Search this Thread