Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Smisek Cost Cutting: Parts 1 & 2 (Decaf Coffee and Rondelle)

Smisek Cost Cutting: Parts 1 & 2 (Decaf Coffee and Rondelle)

Old Feb 19, 10, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discv, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs down Smisek Cost Cutting: Parts 1 & 2 (Decaf Coffee and Rondelle)

Effective today (Friday, Feb 19th) CO no longer caters domestic flights with decaf coffee (drip-brew) packs.
If you drink decaf (like me), it's now instant decaf coffee.

Also I noticed told today at both DEN and IAH (C South) that they had small packs of cream cheese and NO RONDELLE. At both locations I was told that they no longer have the more expensive Rondelle cheese spread.

YMMV
Old Feb 19, 10, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I totally dislike the rondelle anyway, no loss

Decaf....bah who drinks that?!
Old Feb 19, 10, 8:41 pm

Location: KFST (Nrst=KMAF) or wherever the airplane just took me from there.; PWP Botmaster
Programs: Pre Merger - CO Plat/1MM/STAR. Post Merger - UA 1K/2MM.
Originally Posted by Billiken View Post
Also I noticed told today at both DEN and IAH (C South) that they had small packs of cream cheese and NO RONDELLE. At both locations I was told that they no longer have the more expensive Rondelle cheese spread.

YMMV
IAH B club was LOADED with Rondelle Parmesan Peppercorn spread today, at least when I was there from noon to 2:30pm.

YMMV.
Old Feb 19, 10, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COFreqFlyer View Post
IAH B club was LOADED with Rondelle Parmesan Peppercorn spread today, at least when I was there from noon to 2:30pm.

YMMV.
I'd not be too worried about it really, it seems to rotate in some between rondelle and Philly with veggie (almost always that at FLL)
Old Feb 19, 10, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
I'd miss Rondelle and be aggravated if it was a cost-cutting measure because I pay for Club membership - cutting items from an already limited PC menu would be completely ridiculous.

However, I actually prefer the veggie cheese spread at FLL, and even better, the no-name stuff they serve in the SEA club (bigger veggie chunks).

Cutting from the club is BAD - they need to ADD more menu options and features and increase the fee slightly to compensate.
Old Feb 19, 10, 9:20 pm

decaf to me, is like o'douls. why bother? however, I do understand there are health reasons associated with caffine.

on the cheese note, although somewhat consistent, PC's do offer varied fare. I believe they are catered by the individual contractors CO hires on a per location basis. FLL, for expample, seems to always have different cheeses. the mini yellow or red baby bells come to mind. those are pretty tastey and i believe all natural. I also notice that IAH PC's have varied products from time to time. I dont think CO really cares very much about the specifics of the four things they offer in the PC's.
Old Feb 19, 10, 9:22 pm

Programs: TK *Gold; WN A-list; NEXUS; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by dlen111 View Post
decaf to me, is like o'douls. why bother? however, I do understand there are health reasons associated with caffine.
Yes exactly. I love caffeine but it doesn't love me. This move in a big Instant coffee is a 'why bother'.
Old Feb 19, 10, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Renard View Post
Yes exactly. I love caffeine but it doesn't love me. This move in a big Instant coffee is a 'why bother'.
I have a certain tea I like, i ask for a cup of hot water and brew it myself, keep a couple bags in my carryon. you could do the same with coffee singles.

It will end up being a lot better than the dirty sink water they serve anyway.
Old Feb 19, 10, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Cutting from the club is BAD - they need to ADD more menu options and features and increase the fee slightly to compensate.
+1

CO already has the weakest food selection of any North American club. They should really try to increase the offerings (read: fresh vegetables).
Old Feb 19, 10, 9:33 pm

I remember when the only decaf coffee we served was Sanka in those little packets.
Old Feb 19, 10, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
While we're talking about coffee, what about getting cappuccino machines in the clubs?

I think CO may be the only North American club network without them.
Old Feb 19, 10, 10:13 pm

Programs: TK *Gold; WN A-list; NEXUS; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I hope the decaf cutbacks don't include int flights...specifically the BF cabins.

Originally Posted by channa View Post
+1

CO already has the weakest food selection of any North American club. They should really try to increase the offerings (read: fresh vegetables).
Fresh Veggies in the PC

While we're talking about coffee, what about getting cappuccino machines in the clubs?

Another good idea... would almost make the PC like a RCC

Last edited by Renard; Feb 19, 10 at 10:20 pm
Old Feb 19, 10, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater

Veggies? Blech. I'd be thrilled if they offered a hybrid of the Alaska Boardroom/NW Worldclub experience - a cauldron of hot oatmeal for breakfast and then soup the rest of the day, along with fresh baked cookies, and some finger sandwiches or light salads.

At least one location at IAH and EWR should set aside space to offer premium service for BF customers on Int'l flights - at least no worse than the recently discontinued snack bar at Delta's main JFK club.
Old Feb 19, 10, 11:02 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Good riddence with the decaf....don't even understand why anyone would drink that crap. It's like near beer.....if I crave that kind of beverage....I drink water.
Old Feb 19, 10, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

+1

Have you been in a DL lounge, lately?

Search this Thread