FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Denver PC (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1053918-denver-pc.html)

cloudcuckooland Feb 19, 2010 2:44 pm

Denver PC

I did a search but did not find one that seemed relevant since CO joined *.

My question is: although I am only travelling UA, would I be turned away from the PC in Denver? As everyone knows, the PC is just better in every way and I would like to go there instead of the RCC, if possible. I am assuming the PC there is still open since it was listed on CO.com.

I'm travelling tomorrow, but I may be travelling through DEN fairly frequently this year after that.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Bonehead Feb 19, 2010 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by cloudcuckooland (Post 13423598)
I did a search but did not find one that seemed relevant since CO joined *.

My question is: although I am only travelling UA, would I be turned away from the PC in Denver? As everyone knows, the PC is just better in every way and I would like to go there instead of the RCC, if possible. I am assuming the PC there is still open since it was listed on CO.com.

I'm travelling tomorrow, but I may be travelling through DEN fairly frequently this year after that.

Thanks for the help in advance!

I am almost 100% sure that you cannot access the Denver PC simply because you are flying UA.

Mackieman Feb 19, 2010 3:00 pm

Are you an RCC member? If so, you should be able to access the DEN PC. If you're relying upon *G, that's a different story.

cloudcuckooland Feb 19, 2010 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mackieman (Post 13423690)
Are you an RCC member? If so, you should be able to access the DEN PC. If you're relying upon *G, that's a different story.

Good question. I'm *G, not RCC.

cloudcuckooland Feb 19, 2010 3:12 pm

According to the latest Star Reference Guide Online . . .

. . . both CO and UA have lounges listed as *G in Denver. Not sure if that is reflected "on the ground."

jbb Feb 19, 2010 3:19 pm

As a *Gold member with a Star Alliance carrier from outside the United States (AC) you have access to all Star Alliance Gold lounges in the US including US Envoy Lounges, UA RCC's and CO President's clubs. It does not matter which airline you are flying. So, if you are flying UA you can show your aeroplan Elite card at the CO PC and they will have to grant you entry.

Many *Golds "lounge hop" when given situations like this when they can access more than one lounge. At LHR Terminal 3, *Golds can choose between Singapore's Silver Kris Lounge or the AC/SAS London Lounge. In HKG, they can choose between Thai, Singapore and United lounges. In Honolulu, they can choose between the UA RCC and the CO PC. It doesn't matter which airline you are flying.

The rule is that as long as you are a *Gold member (from an airline outside the US) and flying on any *carrier that day, you can access any *Gold lounge available at that airport.

I fly out of LHR on AC all the time and a few times I've chosen to use the Singapore Lounge instead of the AC one because it tends to be quieter at my departure times. When I was last in HNL and flying AC to Calgary I first stopped in the CO PC and then the UA RCC.

sbm12 Feb 19, 2010 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by cloudcuckooland (Post 13423719)
Good question. I'm *G, not RCC.

As either an AC or OZ *G (based on your profile) you can access the PC in DEN as long as you are departing on a *A flight. If you are a CO, UA or US *G you cannot unless traveling internationally and CO's version of that rule is sufficiently miserable that you almost certainly won't have access.

cloudcuckooland Feb 19, 2010 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by jbb (Post 13423791)
As a *Gold member with a Star Alliance carrier from outside the United States (AC) you have access to all Star Alliance Gold lounges in the US including US Envoy Lounges, UA RCC's and CO President's clubs. It does not matter which airline you are flying. So, if you are flying UA you can show your aeroplan Elite card at the CO PC and they will grant you entry.

Many *Golds lounge hop when given situations like this when they can access more than one lounge. At LHR Terminal 3 *Golds can choose between Singapore's Silver Kris Lounge or the AC/SAS London Lounge. In HKG, they can choose between Thai, Singapore and United lounges... Again, it doesn't matter which airline you are flying. I fly out of LHR on AC all the time and a few times I've chosen to use the Singapore Lounge instead of the AC one because it tends to be quieter at my departure times.

Thanks for clarifying. Once I saw the PC listed as a *G lounge, I thought that was the case. (I do know that in some places overseas different carriers' lounges block passengers of other * programs from access, but that is almost always just for F.)

I may get some scowls, but I don't care --I have too much time to kill! :D

cloudcuckooland Feb 19, 2010 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 13423799)
As either an AC or OZ *G (based on your profile) you can access the PC in DEN as long as you are departing on a *A flight. If you are a CO, UA or US *G you cannot unless traveling internationally and CO's version of that rule is sufficiently miserable that you almost certainly won't have access.

Thanks! Again, forgot to add above that my *G is through AC (for now).

jbb Feb 19, 2010 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by cloudcuckooland (Post 13423823)
Thanks for clarifying. Once I saw the PC listed as a *G lounge, I thought that was the case. (I do know that in some places overseas different carriers' lounges block passengers of other * programs from access, but that is almost always just for F.)

I may get some scowls, but I don't care --I have too much time to kill! :D

I've never had a scowl when using different airlines' lounges. Just remember that as an AC *Gold member full lounge access is your clearly stated privilege... the whole point of an airline alliance is to allow this sort of flexibility and choice for status members so don't feel bad for using it!

As for carriers' blocking lounge access that almost entirely occurs only for those airlines with F lounges which are not meant to be *Gold. I think only Singapore has some restrictions even for their C lounges at Changi where they funnel the *Golds to a specific lounge and have a separate lounge for their own status/business class passengers (may be wrong about the details on that though).

jbb Feb 19, 2010 3:57 pm

I forgot to mention that they can block your access in the event of space constraints and crowding. ie. The CO lounge agent can refuse you entry to the PC if it is getting near capacity, to reserve space for their own PC members and business class passengers if they know that there is more space at the RCC. This has never happened to me, but I have heard it happen at the SK SKL at LHR...

Bonehead Feb 19, 2010 4:00 pm

By the way, the Denver PC is closing the first part of March (so says my favorite bartender).

cloudcuckooland Feb 19, 2010 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 13424026)
By the way, the Denver PC is closing the first part of March (so says my favorite bartender).

--Curses! I figured it would go the way of ORD! My next layover in Denver is 2 1/2 hours on March 11, so I hope the PC is open long enough for me to squeak in then. After that, I'll hope to luck out like I did last weekend and get an itinerary that passes through IAH for no extra $$$.

worldwidedreamer Feb 19, 2010 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by cloudcuckooland (Post 13424054)
--Curses! I figured it would go the way of ORD! My next layover in Denver is 2 1/2 hours on March 11, so I hope the PC is open long enough for me to squeak in then. After that, I'll hope to luck out like I did last weekend and get an itinerary that passes through IAH for no extra $$$.

I hope that CO might take over one of the UA clubs.

Billiken Feb 19, 2010 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 13424026)

According to one of the check-in agents and two different bartenders, the PClub in Denver is closing on March 15th.