FCO-Heathrow-EWR

Old Feb 16, 10, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

FCO-Heathrow-EWR

Any advice on how annoying this will be...flying British Airways from FCO to Heathrow (via Continental booking) on a British Airways jet...then from Heathrow to EWR back on a Continental jet (757-200)...connection time is 3.5 hours...this should be enough time? How far do I have to walk from British airways plane in heathrow to continental in heathrow? How uncomfortable am I going to be on a 757-200 over the atlantic?

Thanks
Old Feb 16, 10, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
British Aiways uses terminal 5, Continental uses terminal 4. Not sure how far it is but it should not take that long to get where you are going.
Continental uses alot of 757's from EWR to Europe. I flew both CLE-LGW/LHR and
CLE-FCO which is even a longer flight and had no problem but should point out I like
to sit in the seats right by the door so there is pleanty of room since you have several feet of space in front of you and the FA jumpseat. I also flew HNL-LAX on a 757.
Old Feb 16, 10, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer View Post
I flew ...CLE-FCO
No you didn't. CO has never operated that flight. And if they did they couldn't do so on a 752 as it doesn't have the range.

To the OP, the transfer from T5 to T4 will require a bus and re-clearing security. Follow the signs for transit passengers and you'll get there eventually. Figure ~40-60 minutes to make the transfer, depending on if you get lucky with the bus and the security lines.

As for how uncomfortable the 752 is, that is a very personal issue. Some folks really hate it and some just don't care. I'm in the latter group. The seats are the same and the IFE is the same as the 772. The single aisle thing just doesn't bother me at all.
Old Feb 16, 10, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

Thanks for the help...so just to clarify...i am on the 1:35pm from FCO to Heathrow on a British Airways jet (booked through continental.com) then I go from Heathrow to EWR on a Continental 752...not looking forward to the change in London!!!
Old Feb 16, 10, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by canada625 View Post
How uncomfortable am I going to be on a 757-200 over the atlantic?

Thanks
Does this have to come up every single day?
Old Feb 16, 10, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
Does this have to come up every single day?
I think it alternates with CO/UA merger threads.
Old Feb 16, 10, 9:07 pm

Programs: Continental
Also

The "why didn't I get upgraded?" rants
Old Feb 17, 10, 2:47 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Sorry It was Paris I got my airport codes mixed up

FCO Rome?

CDG is Paris
Old Feb 17, 10, 3:07 am

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Yup, yup... and more info

Thanks for the help...so just to clarify...i am on the 1:35pm from FCO to Heathrow on a British Airways jet (booked through continental.com) then I go from Heathrow to EWR on a Continental 752...not looking forward to the change in London!!!
We understood that.
I am considering booking a similar itinerary, except LHR-IAH vis a vis your LHR-EWR.
I have this to say about that:
BA will put you into terminal 5, which is near the T1/2/3 complex, but nowhere near the T4 building. You'll take an underground train, or a cab if you like. Or, simply ask when you get there- I'm sure a gate agent will have better info than I do on that one- I've never had to make that particular trek while I was at Heath Row.
As far as 757's across the pond, I will summarize the multiple gigabytes of conversation on the topic (and readily accessible to yourself via the 'search' tool) by saying this: you will be equally as miserable going across the ocean in a 757 as you would a 777.
Yes, the 777 is a much wider airplane, but unless your kiester is eighteen feet across, or you have some sort of amazing deal with the airline, you'lll be limited to the same 17 inch width as you would on ANY OTHER AIRPLANE.

Enough said.
Old Feb 17, 10, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
the transfer from T5 to T4 will require a bus and re-clearing security. Follow the signs for transit passengers and you'll get there eventually. Figure ~40-60 minutes to make the transfer, depending on if you get lucky with the bus and the security lines.
I believe BA's website tells you to leave minimum 120 minutes to connect between T5 and T4. Either way, the op should have more than enough time. Anyways, even if he was flying BA the whole way via T5, he'd still have to re-clear security. Although, you may need to re-check your bags at LHR...CO or BA should be able to tell you this on the phone.

flying British Airways from FCO to Heathrow (via Continental booking) on a British Airways jet
Since when does CO book on BA? I would've imagined they'd only to that booking if they can do it via bmi or Virgin. I realize that neither of those have flights to Heathrow via FCO, but still, CO has enough other options, either direct, or via IAD...
Old Feb 17, 10, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Legend717 View Post
I have this to say about that:
BA will put you into terminal 5, which is near the T1/2/3 complex, but nowhere near the T4 building. You'll take an underground train, or a cab if you like. Or, simply ask when you get there- I'm sure a gate agent will have better info than I do on that one- I've never had to make that particular trek while I was at Heath Row.
Not accurate advice at all. T5 and T4 are both well away from the T123 complex, but you can effectively ignore this - you don't have to worry about how you do the transfer as long as you meet the minimum connection time, and you certainly don't have to take a cab (this would be a particularly bad idea). When you arrive in any terminal in LHR, just follow the Flight Connections sign. This will take you to more specific Flight Connections T1, T4, etc. Follow the T4 one and you will be connected to the appropriate terminal, by airside bus in this case. Your bags will be checked all the way through to the US, as CO has an interline agreement with BA. It's a pretty painless transfer overall.
Old Feb 17, 10, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
This is plenty of time. If this is booked as a single ticket (it sounds as if it is), then your bags should be checked through. I would confirm this at check-in, though, as BA has a reputation for being a bit uncooperative in this regard (though I have never had a problem). You may also need to show your bag tags to the service desk on the other side of security at LHR, so they can 'find' your bag, but this may only be for separate ticket connections.

Otherwise, do as StarWorld says and follow the signs to the bus. The trains are landside, so you would need to clear immigration (not recommended, again assuming that your bags are checked through) for that. My guess is that your gate-to-gate time will be less than an hour.

As to the plane... I do think it is more uncomfortable than many other options, but it isn't the end of the world.
Old Feb 17, 10, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 View Post
Since when does CO book on BA? I would've imagined they'd only to that booking if they can do it via bmi or Virgin. I realize that neither of those have flights to Heathrow via FCO, but still, CO has enough other options, either direct, or via IAD...
Many months now. If the routing rules permit it - and many routes do - then the BA connections will show up on co.com. You don't earn any CO miles on those flights but the connections are possible.

Originally Posted by Legend717
You'll take an underground train, or a cab if you like. Or, simply ask when you get there- I'm sure a gate agent will have better info than I do on that one- I've never had to make that particular trek while I was at Heath Row.
The only part of the above that appears accurate is where you state that you've never done it.

The OP should follow the signs for transit passengers and take the bus provided. No cabs. No trains.

Search this Thread