Connection advise at EWR

Old Feb 16, 2010, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Connection advise at EWR

Hi,
I had flights booked for mid-May and received a change of schedule notice from CO. My initial flights ANU-EWR-LHR had 2 1/2 hours stopover, now it is only 29 minutes. No chance to make it through EWR with that short connection time, or is there (esp. when coming from Antigua)?

Thanks
Old Feb 16, 2010, 6:53 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by crazychicken
Hi,
I had flights booked for mid-May and received a change of schedule notice from CO. My initial flights ANU-EWR-LHR had 2 1/2 hours stopover, now it is only 29 minutes. No chance to make it through EWR with that short connection time, or is there (esp. when coming from Antigua)?

Thanks
Long answer to a complicated question: NO!
Old Feb 16, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
That should not be a valid connection. Call CO and make them aware and they should re-route you.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I do not think that is even a legal connection. When the schecule was changed you should have been notified and your flights should have been changed.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: *Gold
Not in a million years. Illegal connection and not even doable in theory! Call them to get it changed.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:59 am
RNE

Hi,I had flights booked for mid-May and received a change of schedule notice from CO. My initial flights ANU-EWR-LHR had 2 1/2 hours stopover, now it is only 29 minutes. No chance to make it through EWR with that short connection time, or is there (esp. when coming from Antigua)?Thanks
I love Antigua.

The advice already given is sound. I merely want to emphasize 1) that the onus is on CO to reroute you, and 2) you might want to look for reroutes on your own beforehand to ensure you get the most desirable, not simply the first legal routing the rep suggests.

Good luck.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I don't even know if there is a real alternative. The flight gets into EWR at 7:30 pm, which is too late for almost all of CO's TATL flights. Unless the OP wants to route through Paris or Germany.

The only decent routing is Delta to JFK, BA to LHR. But 0 *A miles that way.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
If getting to LHR 12 hours later is an alternative, I would overnight at a EWR hotel and take the next morning's daytime flight to LHR.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. I contacted CO and they have rebooked me on the 9am flight on the next day. According to the customer service agent, CO will put me up in an airport hotel at their cost. Let's wait and see...
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:21 am
Suspended

According to the customer service agent, CO will put me up in an airport hotel at their cost. Let's wait and see...
airport Motel is more likely then Hotel. Think of HoJos unless theres crazy Irrops that day and by arriving late all of those dumps are already filled with other passengers.

But hey its free, just dont expect anything on a Grand scale like a Hilton or Sheraton unless everything else is soldout
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by craz
airport Motel is more likely then Hotel. Think of HoJos unless theres crazy Irrops that day and by arriving late all of those dumps are already filled with other passengers.

But hey its free, just dont expect anything on a Grand scale like a Hilton or Sheraton unless everything else is soldout
isn't there a flight to London about 8:50pm that you could probably catch?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: Hertz Gold, BAEC, FR Top Tier
Originally Posted by hughw
isn't there a flight to London about 8:50pm that you could probably catch?
Yes, VS codeshare (CO9682) at 8:50pm, so not sure why the agent did not offer that option. Assume the VS codeshares are on now on the way out, with change to *A?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GIGFY
. Assume the VS codeshares are on now on the way out, with change to *A?
Nope. But they cost CO more since the revenue sharing is different so CO might not offer them without prompting. The connection, while still tight, is permissible. I'm not a big fan of VS in coach but if you actually want to get to London the day you originally planned to do so I'd give CO a call back and try for that.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: Hertz Gold, BAEC, FR Top Tier
Originally Posted by sbm12
Nope. But they cost CO more since the revenue sharing is different so CO might not offer them without prompting. The connection, while still tight, is permissible. I'm not a big fan of VS in coach but if you actually want to get to London the day you originally planned to do so I'd give CO a call back and try for that.
Thanks for the clarification.

I'm no fan of VS in coach either, quite happy with coach on CO (as long as exit row), BF when I can (but usally only on reward tkt!).

OP's choice, whether he wants night in EWR or not, I guess, but personally, I would take the VS option in this case...
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:23 pm

Programs: Commoner... just a onepass (non-elite)
You should go to the gate (if you can make the cxn) and show your tkt to the gate agent. Hopefully they will put you on that plane right then and there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.