Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Mixing classes not allowed on Star Alliance Awards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mixing classes not allowed on Star Alliance Awards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2010, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Question Mixing classes not allowed on Star Alliance Awards

I tried to book a OnePass award on LX- I need a longhaul flight in O and short haul flight in I. Flights are available as per OP Service Centre.
According to the agent, she can not price the itin with the intra-Europe segment in I and long haul in O. It has to be all in one class. Since there is no O in short haul, I have to fly I all the way or the system won't price the itin.
Is this the case?? I never had problems with mixed class awards when booking awards using Star alliance FF programs.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 5:39 am

This can't be true. I just booked to Asia with some of the intra-Asian flights in I, but the overwater flights in O. Definitely call back and try another agent.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: CO-PLAT, Hyatt Plat
I think you need to try another agent, just had an award with EWR-FRA in O and then FRA-LHR in I
Old Feb 12, 2010, 7:50 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Miles&More Senator, bmi Diamond Club Silver, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG
You absolutely have reached a bad agent. Call back and get a competent one. O is LX F and I is LX short-haul C. They absolutely will price. She was very, very wrong. And if you happened to get her name, report it to a supervisor for training purposes so she can learn what is correct.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 9:30 am

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
I have a reward booked that even alternates O-I-O-I (on LH, LH, LX, SA) in a single direction. The two I segments are 2-class service. It is absolutely bookable, but may require advanced skills to do (I happened to have an über-Elite desk agent on the phone at the time).
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:55 am
Original Poster

I suspect I found the wrong agent too- I will try OPSC in Houston to see if I have better luck. Seats are available as per ANA, I can price the whole itin using my Miles and More account. To make sure that the seats don't disappear, I have asked her to hold the long haul F segments, so I need to find someone who can add the intra-Europe segments and price the itin.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by LonLH
I suspect I found the wrong agent too- I will try OPSC in Houston to see if I have better luck. Seats are available as per ANA, I can price the whole itin using my Miles and More account. To make sure that the seats don't disappear, I have asked her to hold the long haul F segments, so I need to find someone who can add the intra-Europe segments and price the itin.

OPSC doesn't book tickets as far as I know.

Just call back and get another agent at the call center. I don't think this will be a problem.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Update

Made three more attempts- got same answer that they can't do it. Got various answers like "LX does not release seats to us", "Mixing classes are not allowed on Star Alliance awards", "We can see seats, but can't price itin" etc. even though seats are available on ANA (which means it should normally be available to all Star Alliance carriers). Tried Brussels and Houston- neither could do it.
Since there is a possibility that Miles and More would release seats for a LH Gold, I decided to verify if it is true that LX will not release to CO. Just to experiment, I asked BD to do a dummy reward booking for me and it was done without any problem.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Made three more attempts- got same answer that they can't do it. Got various answers like "LX does not release seats to us", "Mixing classes are not allowed on Star Alliance awards", "We can see seats, but can't price itin" etc. even though seats are available on ANA (which means it should normally be available to all Star Alliance carriers). Tried Brussels and Houston- neither could do it.
Since there is a possibility that Miles and More would release seats for a LH Gold, I decided to verify if it is true that LX will not release to CO. Just to experiment, I asked BD to do a dummy reward booking for me and it was done without any problem.
Call AGAIN. I've done this successfully.

But I'm confident that the LX seats were not available on the ANA website
Old Feb 13, 2010, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"We can see seats, but can't price itin" etc.

That's the closest you've gotten. Have an agent build it, and when it doesn't price, then you need to escalate.

Basically CO's computer isn't auto-pricing it, so there's some sort of technical issue on their end. At that point, the agent has two choice -- A) find out why and get it resolved for you; or B) BS you and get you off the phone.

Since CO really watches how long an agent is on each call, they do better in their metrics with the B) BS you approach, which is the type of response you've gotten. Either you need to find a more confident agent, or you need to push back harder when you hear that.

I've trained dozens of CO agents over the years. It's just what you gotta do as a OP member.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by channa
..or B) BS you and get you off the phone..
Hey, that customer/hour call count is an important metric!
Old Feb 13, 2010, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by afrugal1
Hey, that customer/hour call count is an important metric!

And apparently at CO, the most important metric.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And apparently at CO, the most important metric.
That's true of most call centers. Agent time on the phone is the number one expense.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjque
That's true of most call centers. Agent time on the phone is the number one expense.
Though most call centers seem to balance that reality while being able to provide some semblance of knowledgeable customer service.

I'm not saying I never have to redial when dealing with any other companies, but with CO I find myself redialing quite a bit in these types of situations.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Though most call centers seem to balance that reality while being able to provide some semblance of knowledgeable customer service.

I'm not saying I never have to redial when dealing with any other companies, but with CO I find myself redialing quite a bit in these types of situations.
I managed a call center for a while and found that reps who provided bad info just to get people off the phone usually had pretty high handle times because the one skeptical person who spends 20 minutes asking follow-up questions cancels out the 10 who were off the phone in two minutes.

With respect to airlines, at least on CSR over on the UA board says there are no handle time or call per hour requirements. The notion of "hang up and keep calling back until you get correct info" was pretty much invented on the UA board, so there would not seem to be a correlation between cph requirements and quality of service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.