New Change Fees for Reward Tickets

Old Feb 22, 10, 4:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I agree that you should be able to get them to honor the 12,500 half of the ticket. The problem I see is that you want to change it to an EasyPass reward rather than a SaverPass reward. I'm not sure how well that will go over.
Old Feb 22, 10, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
The problem I see is that you want to change it to an EasyPass reward rather than a SaverPass reward. I'm not sure how well that will go over.
I am not sure of the EasyPass/SaverPass terminology. I redeemed 25k miles for a domestic roundtrip. I have 12.5k left over so I intend to use those miles for the same low-level reward level on my EWR-SFO flight. It looks like I need SaverPass availability, then.
Old Feb 22, 10, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Just to clarify if you cancel the reward ticket or actually any ticket within 24 hours of making the reservation there is no change or redeposit fee for miles.
Old Feb 22, 10, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by boat9781 View Post
I am not sure of the EasyPass/SaverPass terminology. I redeemed 25k miles for a domestic roundtrip. I have 12.5k left over so I intend to use those miles for the same low-level reward level on my EWR-SFO flight. It looks like I need SaverPass availability, then.

Yes, and this terminology and your use of it may play a role in whether or not you get this thing honored.

If you continue to refer to it as 12.5K remaining and you should get a 12.5K one-way flight, you will likely run into more resistance because CO does not issue one-way awards, and does not think of them as such.

I would suggest going into this issue saying you had a 25K RT reward, and are trying to rebook the return. If they ask why you cancelled it, tell them that was changed before flight time so as not to lose the value, in compliance with CO's rules, since you were unsure of what return you wanted.
Old Feb 22, 10, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by channa View Post
Yes, and this terminology and your use of it may play a role in whether or not you get this thing honored.
Understood - thanks for the heads up. I'll put it to them as you suggested above.
Old Feb 22, 10, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
I agree that you should be able to get them to honor the 12,500 half of the ticket.
I don't think so. doing so would be tantamount to allowing one-way awards for 12.5k.
Old Feb 22, 10, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post
I don't think so. doing so would be tantamount to allowing one-way awards for 12.5k.
How so? The poster wants to use the return of a 25K reward where the outbound was already flown, and the website confused him/her into making the change incorrectly.

Had this been called in, it wouldn't have been a problem.
Old Feb 22, 10, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post
I mean that the half not yet used can be still used for travel, not that the 12,500 will go back into the account.
Old Apr 3, 10, 12:27 pm

Hey all,

I am getting ready to use the "not-yet flown" return portion of my domestic roundtrip. The reward was initially SFO-DCA-SFO. Can I re-route the return to IAH-SFO? I assume an open-jaw of that degree could be problematic...

Thanks!
Old Apr 3, 10, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by boat9781 View Post
Hey all,

I am getting ready to use the "not-yet flown" return portion of my domestic roundtrip. The reward was initially SFO-DCA-SFO. Can I re-route the return to IAH-SFO? I assume an open-jaw of that degree could be problematic...

Thanks!
The open part must be the shortest of the three legs. In your case DCA-IAH is 1208 miles and IAH-SFO is 1635 so it is a valid open-jaw routing. Finding reward inventory on IAH-SFO is a whole different issue, but it is a valid routing.
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=sfo-dca-iah-sfo

Search this Thread
Search Engine: