Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Paying for upgrade, economy to ZE class, do I still get EQMs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying for upgrade, economy to ZE class, do I still get EQMs?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by rangr
The original class I booked was actually H, which then became a ZE on upgrade, and then became a ZM on my statement.
I still don't fully understand it: does ZE = upgraded H ? There is an E class, so I would assume ZE = upgraded E, but I've never seen a ZH, for example.

This is pure curiosity at this point...
What actually happens is that you're on an H fare, you buy-up to M, then you get the instant upgrade to ZE. (the M-->ZE portion happens behind the scenes, and your receipt will never actually show M, just ZE).

This is why your OP statement shows ZM. You paid to move yourself to the M bucket and were then upgraded.

Don't confuse fare buckets with what shows on your statement. They are not always the same thing. For example, let's say you got an EUA from a S fare. You would be booked into the R bucket but your OP statement would show ZS.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO - Platinum
Originally Posted by TommyC80
What actually happens is that you're on an H fare, you buy-up to M, then you get the instant upgrade to ZE. (the M-->ZE portion happens behind the scenes, and your receipt will never actually show M, just ZE).

This is why your OP statement shows ZM. You paid to move yourself to the M bucket.
So is ZE is the lowest available upgrade seat? If I'm getting this:
$50 got me from H-->M
Plat elite got me M-->ZE
Statement shows I paid for M and got a FC seat, therefore ZM.

The fog seems to be lifting....
Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
So is ZE is the lowest available upgrade seat? If I'm getting this:
$50 got me from H-->M
Plat elite got me M-->ZE
Statement shows I paid for M and got a FC seat, therefore ZM.

The fog seems to be lifting....
Here's how it works:

Fare Buckets for Instant Upgrades

All Elites

B Instant Upgrade books into ZE
Y Instant Upgrade books into FE

Platinum Elites

M Instant Upgrade books into ZE

Remember, EQM earnings come from the fare bucket you purchase, not the fare bucket you fly in. That's why you and a friend could book a M/B fare on the same flight, both upgrade into the ZE bucket and earn 100%/150% respectively.

The same logic applies if you were to use miles to upgrade. If you book into R from a B fare you earn 150%. If you book into R from an M you would earn 100%.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO - Platinum
Originally Posted by TommyC80
Here's how it works:

Fare Buckets for Instant Upgrades

All Elites

B Instant Upgrade books into ZE
Y Instant Upgrade books into FE

Platinum Elites

M Instant Upgrade books into ZE
Got it. Thanks.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:56 pm

Got it. Thanks.
For sure!
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The original class I booked was actually H, which then became a ZE on upgrade, and then became a ZM on my statement.
I still don't fully understand it: does ZE = upgraded H ? There is an E class, so I would assume ZE = upgraded E, but I've never seen a ZH, for example.

This is pure curiosity at this point...
There is a strange quirk in the way CO posts the flights versus books them for Platinum Elites on M fare instant upgrades. The flights book into ZE, same as B fares for all elites. They post as ZM since they are upgraded M fares. That allows CO to account for them as M fares when crediting - so only the 100% EQMs, for example - and also issue the upgrades out of the same bucket as the B-Ups.

FWIW, most upgrades credit as Z_ where the _ is the original paid bucket. Actually the B fares are the only one I can think of that don't.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 9:35 pm

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
I booked a V fare to SJU for the family in Oct. I bought up with money and now it's ZE. The previous entries are about B & M fares. Will I only the V fare miles or Z fare since I bought up in advance.

If I paid $200 to buy up why wouldn't I get the Z fare elite bonus?
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 1k & MillM
Originally Posted by COEWR2587
I booked a V fare to SJU for the family in Oct. I bought up with money and now it's ZE. The previous entries are about B & M fares. Will I only the V fare miles or Z fare since I bought up in advance.

If I paid $200 to buy up why wouldn't I get the Z fare elite bonus?
You might get 150%... It depends... The previous posts are relevant in your case because it takes a buy-up to M, B, or higher to get you into First.

If you are platinum M can buy you up to first. M is cheaper than B, but will only earn you 100% EQM whereas B earns you 150%.

I wonder if there is a way to tell (from the record/receipt) whether you bought up to an M or B fare.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 1:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by reinballe
I wonder if there is a way to tell (from the record/receipt) whether you bought up to an M or B fare.
If you know how much you paid (which you should, duh!) looking at the list of published fares should let you deduce it. Not perfect, but it should be close enough. If it was EWR-SJU, for example, the $200 one-way would most likely be an M fare from the V fare based on what's currently published for that route:
Export from Wandering Aramean Travel Tools
Code:
Flexible Fare Search -- EWR-SJU roundtrp for date range Sep-Mar on carrier CO -- Continental Airlines
Carrier|From |To   |FareBasis |Fare      |Min   |Max       |Adv. Purch|Earliest  |Latest    |
CO     |EWR  |SJU  |NR213NN   |USD$ 259  |seerul|          |21days    |          |          |
CO     |EWR  |SJU  |SR213NN   |USD$ 299  |seerul|          |21days    |          |          |
CO     |EWR  |SJU  |WR143NN   |USD$ 339  |seerul|          |14days    |          |          |
CO     |EWR  |SJU  |VR103NN   |USD$ 380  |seerul|          |10days    |          |          |
CO     |EWR  |SJU  |QR73NN    |USD$ 420  |seerul|          |7days     |          |          |
CO     |EWR  |SJU  |KR33NN    |USD$ 520  |seerul|          |3days     |          |          |
CO     |EWR  |SJU  |MA0NN     |USD$ 801  |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
CO     |EWR  |SJU  |BA0NN     |USD$ 1002 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
CO     |EWR  |SJU  |Y8        |USD$ 1272 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
CO     |EWR  |SJU  |C8        |USD$ 1474 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
CO     |EWR  |SJU  |Y         |USD$ 1888 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
CO     |EWR  |SJU  |C         |USD$ 2412 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |