Search

Upgrade Offer on my Confirmation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Upgrade Offer on my Confirmation

I just checked my reservation online to HNL and found an offer to upgrade to BF -

$979 to pay OR 17.5k points + $450

I investigated further since I have been checking for upgrade seats and found that while I could buy the BF seat today, the miles/$$$ offer was to be waitlisted only.

I guess they're extending the upgrade offers at check-in.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I know my case is a bit different than yours since your HNL flight is business first.

I just bought a ticket for DCA-LAX-DCA for a weekend trip in February. After purchasing the ticket (cheap T-class). A colorful banner popped up at the bottom of "Request Receipt". Offering an upgrade for $337/way or for 15,000 miles per way. Since it's my birthday weekend I decided to treat myself instead of waiting for the comp upgrade to clear 5 days before, just because even as a platinum DCA-IAH-LAX can be hard.

Once I clicked "Yes" (with miles) it switched everything to "R" class and took me to the seat map to select F-class seats. It's all confirmed.

This is the first time I've noticed the catchy banner.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: DL PM, CO Silver
I just checked my flight (CO234 on 1/18) and was offered the upgrade for 15k or $275. There are currently 8 seats available.

What are the chances I would be upgraded anyways as a Plat? I've status-matched coming over from Delta, so no experience with CO yet (this is my first flight with them).
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

They have been putting it on the reservation confirmation screen for weeks if not months now. A bit misleading to offer it in a waitlist-only scenario but not horribly so.

They are definitely pushing to sell more F seats.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by booper
I just checked my flight (CO234 on 1/18) and was offered the upgrade for 15k or $275. There are currently 8 seats available.

What are the chances I would be upgraded anyways as a Plat? I've status-matched coming over from Delta, so no experience with CO yet (this is my first flight with them).
Not sure (I don't ply that route), but this is ominous:

Continental Flight 234 [1-15-2009]
Upgrade Standby List:
Capacity: 16 | Booked: Full | Checked In: 12
No Customers Upgraded
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

They have been putting it on the reservation confirmation screen for weeks if not months now. A bit misleading to offer it in a waitlist-only scenario but not horribly so.

They are definitely pushing to sell more F seats.
The last I flew was in Nov. I was outboud in Y and BF return. I didn't get the offer. I didn't get it on my Oct flights.

It was definitely misleading.... the first screen of the offer asked if I wanted to upgrade for 17.5k miles. Well, I'm no fool and thought it was great - no money required

Only when I clicked on it did I see the co-pay AND the fact that it would be waitlist only.

So, on two fronts it was misleading
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
The last I flew was in Nov. I was outboud in Y and BF return. I didn't get the offer. I didn't get it on my Oct flights.
But when did you book? I know I was seeing the offer on bookings I made last month. I'm not sure about in November.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

I booked 3 days ago. The offer appeared today. I'm certain it wasn't there yesterday. The Nov bookings were made sometime around June. I'm not sure about Oct.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, CO Silver
Originally Posted by Mary2e

It was definitely misleading.... the first screen of the offer asked if I wanted to upgrade for 17.5k miles. Well, I'm no fool and thought it was great - no money required

Only when I clicked on it did I see the co-pay AND the fact that it would be waitlist only.

So, on two fronts it was misleading
How do you see it's waitlist only? It appeared to me that it was definitely an upgrade to first, and not just to get waitlisted.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

On the second screen, where I would actually select the flight I wanted to upgrade and have the miles & $$$ deducted, on the far right, in much smaller lettering, it said there wasn't an actual upgraded seat available, but that I would be put on the waitlist.

My return flight was already BF, so I was selecting individual flights to upgrade.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 1:13 pm
RNE

Can anybody post a screen capture of an offer?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

If you tell me how to post it, I'll gladly do it. I tried and wasn't able to. I don't think I was using the correct tag.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Can anybody post a screen capture of an offer?
Click for a bigger version.

There is another box further down that lets you pick an unrestricted ticket instead of upgraded.

ETA: That was on the booking screen. Below is from an existing reservation:

Last edited by sbm12; Jan 15, 2010 at 3:37 pm
Old Jan 15, 2010, 4:47 pm

I booked my EWR-SAN flight a couple of weeks ago for tomorrow and have had this upgrade offer of 15K miles or $375 each way. It did go up at one point to ~$475 or so and then back to $375. It would even say how many seats are available in F. There were a like 9 seats too until the Patriots lost and Jets were playing in San Diego and instantly no more seats up front, looks like I'm sitting in the back on a pretty full flight.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 4:56 pm

Programs: CO Plat, UA MP, AA
I've gotten those offers since mid-December and the only time I jumped on one was LAX-IAH for $78 and no miles one-way on a T-fare. I think it was a buy-up to M because when the miles were credited the fare code said ZM. They were offering the return for $457 but for a 3 hour trip it wasn't worth it for me; it turns out I was upgraded at the 5-day mark on the return anyway .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.