Free DirectTV for Elites??

Old Jan 11, 10, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold
Free DirectTV for Elites??

While recently browsing through benefits for other airlines (i.e. Frontier) I noticed that access to DirectTV is generally complimentary for Elites. Does anyone know if CO has any plans to offer this as an Elite benefit? Should a campaign be started to try and establish this as a Onepass benefit? I generally get upgraded to FC on the legs that have DTV, but it would be nice to have when I get stuck in Y.
Old Jan 11, 10, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by sinorguacamole View Post
While recently browsing through benefits for other airlines (i.e. Frontier) I noticed that access to DirectTV is generally complimentary for Elites. Does anyone know if CO has any plans to offer this as an Elite benefit? Should a campaign be started to try and establish this as a Onepass benefit? I generally get upgraded to FC on the legs that have DTV, but it would be nice to have when I get stuck in Y.
I agree that this would be a great benefit, particularly on redeye transcons where it's not worth $6 to pay for the full flight, but it might be nice to have some entertainment at the beginning/end of the flight. Sadly, I don't forsee LiveTV wanting to give up the potential revenue from all of those Elites.
Old Jan 11, 10, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
I think the current system is fine as is. I mean, where does one draw the line? If you are in Y and want to watch TV, we are only talking about $6. Not $600.
Old Jan 11, 10, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO View Post
I think the current system is fine as is. I mean, where does one draw the line? If you are in Y and want to watch TV, we are only talking about $6. Not $600.
Yes and no. Sure, it would be a great benefit to have so asking for it is fine. But when they say "no" I'm not going to be all that broken up over it. Even when I have it for free I generally don't use it.
Old Jan 11, 10, 3:11 pm

Programs: -UA 1K-Hilton Diamond-
i think its a good idea
Old Jan 11, 10, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I don't think it's reasonable to expect CO to provide elites with free DirecTV. But I do think it would be nice if we got some "Continental Currency" coupons with our elite welcome packets to use for DirecTV.
Old Jan 11, 10, 3:21 pm

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
Originally Posted by SS255 View Post
I don't think it's reasonable to expect CO to provide elites with free DirecTV. But I do think it would be nice if we got some "Continental Currency" coupons with our elite welcome packets to use for DirecTV.
Excellent compromise.
Old Jan 11, 10, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres

True but $6 x 100 flights is.... $600.
Old Jan 11, 10, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
That would be nice, however its not important and probably in CO's best interests.
Old Jan 11, 10, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by fireworksboy View Post
True but $6 x 100 flights is.... $600.
Are you talking annually? Anyone who flies 100x a year isn't sitting in Y. If you are talking lifetime, I say no big deal.
Old Jan 11, 10, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Are you talking annually? Anyone who flies 100x a year isn't sitting in Y.

Really?
Old Jan 11, 10, 8:01 pm
yad

Programs: CO Plat
I don't think it's reasonable to expect CO to provide elites with free DirecTV.
Why not? They promise to upgrade elites whenever they can. It doesn't seem unreasonable that when they can't provide the FC seat due to lack of space, they at least provide whatever other benefits of upgrading they are able to -- this would include free drinks and free DirectTV. Personally I don't really care, but it hardly seems an unreasonable thing to ask for.
Old Jan 11, 10, 8:52 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Yes and no.... Even when I have it for free I generally don't use it.
It appears to me that neither do many other people. On a number of transcons that I flew late last year, there were fewer than 35-40% of the coach passengers utilizing the service even on flights of 4+ hours where you would expect to have high utilization. If that is really the utilization rate, then I think that the company that installed the service is going to be reluctant to give it away for free.
Old Jan 11, 10, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Wouldn't this be a logistics nightmare with CO's new 'cashless cabin'? (Especially since the FAs don't collect the payment for the DTV system?) I imagine that unless CO can come up with a way to encode 'Continental Currency' onto the magstripe of the Elite cards, this isn't possible.

While I'm thinking about it - when the credit card charge processes, does it appear as "Continental Airlines" or "LiveTV"?
Old Jan 11, 10, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
I don't think it's reasonable to expect CO to provide elites with free DirecTV. .
Of course JetBlue gives it to EVERYONE for free. Go figure.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: