Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free DirectTV for Elites??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:13 pm

Programs: Continental One Pass
wow - what a response(s)

Struck a raw nerve. Guess I shouldn't have used the term "blue collar". Sorry if I offended. Just that I lived most of my adult life outside of the USA and never developed the TV or the sports habit. I generally consider being glued to a tube a gigantic waste of time. I am clueless on all American professional sports. If someone offered me $5000 to sit on the 50 yard line of the super bowl I would turn them down flat. When I do look at the TV it is usually for the news (Fox News, people), or a good uninterrupted, unedited movie.

As far as being a blockhead and not figuring out how to turn off the monitor, I have degrees in physics and mathematics and a first class FCC radiotelephone ticket. I really tried to turn it off, but couldn't figure out how to make the screen go black. Maybe somebody would be so kind as to enlighten me. These days, software and hardware are so dumbed down for the great unwashed, probably only a 12 year old could figure it out.

But anyway, it looks like I entertained a little, so that is good.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Pkronfield
As far as being a blockhead and not figuring out how to turn off the monitor, I have degrees in physics and mathematics and a first class FCC radiotelephone ticket. I really tried to turn it off, but couldn't figure out how to make the screen go black. Maybe somebody would be so kind as to enlighten me. These days, software and hardware are so dumbed down for the great unwashed, probably only a 12 year old could figure it out.
Press the - button on the brightness control repeatedly until the screen gets really, really dark.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Press the - button on the brightness control repeatedly until the screen gets really, really dark.
Like it says right on the instruction card.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Pkronfield
Just that I lived most of my adult life outside of the USA and never developed the TV or the sports habit . . . I have degrees in physics and mathematics and a first class FCC radiotelephone ticket . . . These days, software and hardware are so dumbed down for the great unwashed, probably only a 12 year old could figure it out.

To what do we owe the honor of your highly dignified, learned, refined, distinguished presence?

Is this guy for real?
Old May 6, 2010, 5:03 pm
RNE

I know I'm coming late to the table on this response, but I finally got a flight with DirecTV and I like it! I pooh-poohed it in concept, but now that I have experienced it...wow! It is entertaining. And best of all, there was no pre-flight Orwellian indoctrination from Moe.

The Thief of Baghdad, saying, "Got DirecTV for free, of course. I'm not elite, but CO thinks I am."
Old May 6, 2010, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Like it says right on the instruction card.

True, but you gotta admit it's not intuitive. Every other TV or monitor in the world has an on/off button.

It's deliberately not intuitive because DTV paid for the system and does not want it off. They want to flash the ads at you until you use it. It's a downside of allowing a vendor to pay for the system.
Old May 6, 2010, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by channa
True, but you gotta admit it's not intuitive. Every other TV or monitor in the world has an on/off button.
Actually, no, I don't have to admit that.

The part where is says "off" right above the button is pretty obvious, making up for folks who don't find it intuitive.
Old May 6, 2010, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Actually, no, I don't have to admit that.

The part where is says "off" right above the button is pretty obvious, making up for folks who don't find it intuitive.
We are smart enough to figure it out - but I have not seen one person that knew how to turn off the screen. The label should be "Off - Press Hold".

Last time the FA said "turn off screen turning down the volume control", instead of brightness control. It should have a separate on and off button which is not the brightness control.
Old May 6, 2010, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by cova
We are smart enough to figure it out - but I have not seen one person that knew how to turn off the screen.
This statement doesn't make a whole lot of sense, among other reasons, because you know me.

FAs announcing it wrong is a problem, but the button is labeled (and any more text isn't really possible with the space they have) and there are instructions provided.

People are welcome to be obstinent and ignorant, but they shouldn't blame others for their plight in life.
Old May 6, 2010, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
People are welcome to be obstinent and ignorant, but they shouldn't blame others for their plight in life.
Isn't that the definition of the American Way?
Old May 6, 2010, 11:29 pm

Programs: DL GM
Last flight I turned off the DTV screen, but the fat, I mean big-boned and well apportioned gentleman who meets the armrest rule seated next to me but of course isn't fat because he is from Texas kept turning it on because his svelte arm kept pressing the controls.

Why didn't they put the controls next to the screen or better, make the screens touch screen?
Old May 7, 2010, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Laughable
Why didn't they put the controls next to the screen or better, make the screens touch screen?
Would you really want someone thumping the back of your seat all flight long as they changed the channels? Plus, touch-screens are heavier.
Old May 7, 2010, 1:17 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Laughable
Touch screen becomes a killer app when watching the Playboy channel. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.