Free DirectTV for Elites??

Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:00 am

Programs: UA-1K w/2MM & lifetime U-Club; Marriott-Lifetime Titanium; IHG-Diamond; National-Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by sbm12
But how many of those were mainline jets rather than Qs and ERJs? You're not going to get the IFE on the smaller birds with any carrier.
Point taken since (according to FM) around 500 segments were on regional/non-jet equipment .
Old Feb 14, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
If you are in coach, and you don't feel like shelling out $6 for DirectTV, then you are back to reading or working. I can see having a basic product on a 4 hour flight, and then charging for premium such as DirectTV, but not "nada" included for such a long flight.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
The good and the bad - is that it is live TV. If you are flying mid-day - there may not be anything on TV you want to watch. If you are flying in the evening - maybe there is a game, special event show, American Idol or what ever are the more popular shows.

When I was on the flight from IAH-SFO last weekend and Jim Compton was on the flight - we spoke about Direct TV. One of the issues is that people do not know what is on TV. So CO is looking at presenting a list of shows on the display - so you can see what is playing and it may make it more desireable for you to watch - this is just a software upgrade. Maybe the Oscars are on TV and you might decide to watch that.

The issue I see is the stored content - which doesn't change much. CO has about 4 stored movies - but they have to pay a fee for those - but they do not change as much as the current Movie system. Also the Showtime Series are stored and they repeat as well.

I flew 17 long haul segments last month and about 1/2 had Direct TV - but same stored content. And if you are flying in the morning or mid-day not much of interest on TV.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 9:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Actually, what I wish for is either numerical buttons or at least a "LAST CHANNEL" button, to avoid commercials, I usually flip back and forth, and cycling through ALL the channels is quite a pain.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by HobokenFlyer
Actually, what I wish for is either numerical buttons or at least a "LAST CHANNEL" button, to avoid commercials, I usually flip back and forth, and cycling through ALL the channels is quite a pain.
Without numerican buttons, a "LAST CHANNEL" button doesn't do a whole lot of good.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 9:41 pm

Agreed.
I hate that!
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:22 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Originally Posted by tvetter01
Without numerican buttons, a "LAST CHANNEL" button doesn't do a whole lot of good.
not if you use the guide; but yes, using the up/down channel button, you are correct.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:33 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Do you think they will put Direct TV in any RJ's.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:20 am

last channel

I think the 'Back' button on the remote/PCU will perform the 'last channel' functionality that you're looking for.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cova
The good and the bad - is that it is live TV. If you are flying mid-day - there may not be anything on TV you want to watch. If you are flying in the evening - maybe there is a game, special event show, American Idol or what ever are the more popular shows.
And some folks like watching daytime TV but can't stand prime time lineups.
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Do you think they will put Direct TV in any RJ's.
No. Not enough potential profit for the cost of fitting the aircraft, among other things.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by flyzabit
If you are in coach, and you don't feel like shelling out $6 for DirectTV, then you are back to reading or working. I can see having a basic product on a 4 hour flight, and then charging for premium such as DirectTV, but not "nada" included for such a long flight.
I am continually amazed by what people will or will not pay for. If we consider an average one way ticket on a TV equipped flight costs $100 (and I am being very conservative on this), the cost of TV is 6%, or probably less than what we pay in sales tax for any purchase (that is taxable). Yet I routinely see people on 4 hour flights refuse to pay the $6 because....???(insert your reason).

So people say we should get free entertainment and point at other airlines that provide free "entertainment". Yet you may pay $8-10 for something to eat on that carrier and no one even factors that into the equation when CO provides your meals for free. Is that a wash? Who knows?

I am with BigPoppa on this. It's $6. Get over it or don't use it.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
I am continually amazed by what people will or will not pay for. If we consider an average one way ticket on a TV equipped flight costs $100 (and I am being very conservative on this), the cost of TV is 6%, or probably less than what we pay in sales tax for any purchase (that is taxable). Yet I routinely see people on 4 hour flights refuse to pay the $6 because....???(insert your reason).

So people say we should get free entertainment and point at other airlines that provide free "entertainment". Yet you may pay $8-10 for something to eat on that carrier and no one even factors that into the equation when CO provides your meals for free. Is that a wash? Who knows?

I am with BigPoppa on this. It's $6. Get over it or don't use it.

In talking with friends, relatives and even strangers next to me on flights I find the average flyer has no clue what really goes into the cost of the airline ticket.

Most tend to take a view of the airlines, as many in Washington take a view of capitalism, as evil corporations that are only out to get you for fees, extra costs, intentional cancellations of flights and that they go out of their way to inconvenience you. None of those types would ever see the DirecTV offerings as 3-6% of what they paid for their ticket, as most assume the airline should provide it free.

As for the original topic here, I think we need to refer to the "Too Many Elites," thread. CO can even admit that they have too many elites to comp DirecTV on mainline flights, and that in the end they'd lose on their investment in this program. I guess with these penny pinchers we should consider it lucky that we get DirecTV comp'd when flying in domestic F.

Although, with CO's recent change in the EUA process, free DirecTV for elites would be a nice consolation.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:22 pm

I am not sure how it works - but if I were to guess - CO likely has to pay a fee to DirectTV for each FC seat that has it. Maybe even $5 per seat per flight? Anyone know?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 5:45 pm

getting back to the post on, time of day programming......

what is cheaper for airlines? DTV or AVOD?

there are quite a lot of people who would find nothing amusing on daytime TV. even sat tv. however, AVOD offers so many more options that may be more mind stimulating than sat tv.

i absolutely love the 752's b/c of the AVOD. the 739's are OK with DTV, but the 752's..... way cooler.

Last edited by dlen111; Feb 15, 2010 at 5:53 pm
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by dlen111

i absolutely love the 752's b/c of the AVOD. the 739's are OK with DTV, but the 752's..... way cooler.
I agree. Another drawback to the stored content on DTV is that it runs on a schedule - so you have to watch it like a non-AVOD equipped movie flight. Plus if the crew makes an announcement the sound is cut off but the picture is not frozen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.