Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

BusinessFirst Upgrade but Credit to United?

Old Jan 2, 10, 11:38 am
zac
Original Poster

Hello. I have SFO-EWR-MXP booked and upgraded (the EWR-MXP segments confirmed). Will changing the reservation to credit United MileagePlus hurt either my confirmed segments or my chances of clearing the other two segments?

Note, I have no CO or UA status anymore. I also don't expect the trans-con segments to clear regardless (but would prefer to have some rather than no chance).

Also, I have tried to decipher the 24-hour window information that I've found. Am I correct that there is no longer anything I need to do to remain on the waitlist and possibly get an upgrade within the last 24-hours?

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 10, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You will be fine with respect to the waitlist while crediting the flights to UA. And it won't change your priority on the waitlist.

As for the waitlist transferring over, it might work and it might not. It is supposed to but no guarantees. If you aren't on the list after you check in you'll need to get someone at the airport to add you.
Old Jan 2, 10, 1:22 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat; Hyatt Explorist; Marriott Titanium; Hertz Pres Cirlce
Do I understand the o/p correctly? Did you use CO miles to upgrade segments and want to switch over to UA for mileage credit?

Just want to be clear but would like to try this for a future trip to GUM. I want to use CO miles to upgrade to BF but then get mileage credit for UA to stay 1K.

If this is possible - very good news indeed.
Old Jan 2, 10, 11:13 pm
zac
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mh3265a View Post
Do I understand the o/p correctly? Did you use CO miles to upgrade segments and want to switch over to UA for mileage credit.
Yes, that is what I'm thinking of trying. I will post back in a month or so with what happens.
Old Jan 3, 10, 5:43 am

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
I did this just before Christmas from EWR to LHR, even though it was a CO flight booked as a UA codeshare. The upgrade had cleared 24 hours before the flight, and I received my UA mileage credit without any problems.
Old Jan 28, 10, 8:32 am
zac
Original Poster

To update: I had the same experience as Passmethesickbag although I was booked on CO metal with a CO fare (no codeshare).

I flew SFO-EWR-MXP and back on CO and upgraded with $500 and 20000 miles each way. The flight miles credited to my UA account just fine.

Additionally, I was automatically added to the upgrade standby list for both the SFO-EWR and EWR-SFO flights and amazingly both cleared at the gate.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: