Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30 minutes connection at IAH

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2009, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

30 minutes connection at IAH

How risky is it to book SEA-MIA with a 30 minute connection in February? The next flight IAH-MIA is 7 hours later, so would really mess things up if the connecting flight is missed; I'd appreciate your thoughts!
Old Nov 21, 2009, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Originally Posted by kmcg
How risky is it to book SEA-MIA with a 30 minute connection in February? The next flight IAH-MIA is 7 hours later, so would really mess things up if the connecting flight is missed; I'd appreciate your thoughts!
It is doable but very tight. Plan on moving quickly and not stopping for anything between gates.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Sit as close to the front as possible and check for back-up flights. GL!
Old Nov 21, 2009, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Very tight, especially if you have to walk from Terminal C to Terminal E or vice versa. If your incoming flight gates more than five or ten minutes late and you're not sitting in the front of the plane, you're probably sunk. All in all, more anxiety than I would sign up for unless I had to.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 7:24 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
30 minutes is indeed tight like everyone has pointed. again, your key is to sit up front and hope your first leg lands on time.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
hope and pray one flight comes in C40's and other leaves in C40's MIA flights that is not uncommon area, so maybe it will!
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!
Old Nov 22, 2009, 1:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, A List Preferred
It will depend on where you are flying from. If you are flying into terminal A (most are prop planes) and have to take a bus to B terminal then a tram to C, D, then you are pretty much screwed.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by lastumps
If you are flying into terminal A (most are prop planes)...
True in general, but as the OP's route is SEA-IAH-MIA, not a possibility in this case.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'd only do this if my first flight was departing very early in the morning. If it's an afternoon connection you've got much more chance of delays than, for example, a 6:00am departure.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Flight does originate early in the morning, so thanks for that bit of encouragement! Expedia says this arrives and departs from Terminal C, so that also sounds okay, assuming Expedia is reliable on that info. I wouldn't normally cut it this close, but my D is trying to join her friends on an already purchased itinerary. Now if I could just get Expedia to stop yanking the fare every time I find a decent one! I hate it when that happens.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I see lots of 30-35 minute connections through IAH...if these are really not doable, then why does CO even offer them. Shouldnt the minimum connection time be more reasonable, not what is possible in specific situations (those in FC who can run!). Im booking a 33 min. connection and hoping my upgrade doesnt get lost if I misconnect!
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I see lots of 30-35 minute connections through IAH...if these are really not doable, then why does CO even offer them. Shouldnt the minimum connection time be more reasonable, not what is possible in specific situations (those in FC who can run!). Im booking a 33 min. connection and hoping my upgrade doesnt get lost if I misconnect!

Not sure and am sure one of the more knowledgeable folks around here could answer. Personally - I wouldn't book one if I didn't see plenty of options later in the day (and I would never count on keeping an upgrade). I'd rather wait around a bit if it allows me to keep my schedule. That's just me.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:26 pm

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
CO had a EWR-IAH-GIG with a 30 min connection for sale. I had to convince my friend not to do it, specially since they are going in the middle of the winter, and departing EWR at 5:30 pm!!! I can believe they would allow anyone to purchase that flight. The next flight would be 24 hrs later!

He is on a 2 hr connection now.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I did a 45 minute connection, from E to B (taking the tram), going through customs, getting sent to Ag inspection in plenty of time. I even stopped to pick up something to eat on the plane. I wanted to change the flight but I was told it was a legal connection. As long as you're on time and walk fast, you'll be OK.

Check the monitor to make sure your gate hasn't changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.