FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   PHX-SYD-PHX. do i have to fly TPAC? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1028303-phx-syd-phx-do-i-have-fly-tpac.html)

dlen111 Dec 16, 2009 7:23 am

PHX-SYD-PHX. do i have to fly TPAC?

do i have to fly west to get to OZ or can i connect in the EU or in DXB?

I just read a post where someone was able to get a last minute F/J reward MIA-MNL-MIA connecting in the EU on LH on the return.

flying east would give me more options. possibly EK or VS in addition to *A.

sbm12 Dec 16, 2009 7:41 am

This is very much a gray area right now. CO's official stance is that Asian reward destinations east of India require a TPAC routing. In reality, however, it seems that some folks have been successful in redeeming for European carriers to SE Asia. Where it gets tricky is with the onward connections. Getting to SIN or BKK on LH or TK seems to not be an issue. Getting past there by adding SQ or TG in seems to cause problems.

This is all anecdotal so the best bet is to try calling it in if you see the inventory and hope that it tickets. If not you probably don't hae too much of a leg to stand on in protest but if it does you win.

Good Luck!

supermasterphil Dec 16, 2009 9:24 am

Why open two threads for basically the same question (background)? :td::confused:

dlen111 Dec 16, 2009 2:30 pm

why waste your time posting?

one thread is about the accuracy of CO's agent post *A and one is a simple routing question.

The moderators will merge if they see fit.

BIMMERKID2 Dec 16, 2009 4:40 pm

OR try this?

ticket you ticket as US-EU-SE Asia-EU-US.... or would that trigger some nasty problems in the reservation systems?

sbm12 Dec 16, 2009 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by BIMMERKID2 (Post 13001800)
ticket you ticket as US-EU-SE Asia-EU-US.... or would that trigger some nasty problems in the reservation systems?

This is the outstanding question. CO's official statement is that such bookings are not permitted at the "normal" rates. Reality seems to differ and I know some truly interesting redemptions that have been successfully ticketed. But the official policy is what it is and should the system kick it out there isn't much recourse.

Plus the OP is trying to go to Australia, not SE Asia. ;)

Centurion Dec 16, 2009 5:25 pm

I would like to know outcome

dlen111 Dec 17, 2009 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by BIMMERKID2 (Post 13001800)

im almost positive that the idea suggested would trigger two seperate reward bookings.

im going to try and ill update.

BIMMERKID2 Dec 17, 2009 5:06 pm

i would assume if you went US-EU-se Asia-US that triggers (eu award levels then pacific award levels)

Doing this as such to me.. seems like a way to "trick" the system.. since it never "sees" you cross two oceans... since doing US-EU-Asia-US in my mind is what triggers off the two different award levels/increased ticket price in miles.

Originally Posted by dlen111 (Post 13007238)
im almost positive that the idea suggested would trigger two seperate reward bookings.

im going to try and ill update.

sbm12 Dec 17, 2009 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by BIMMERKID2 (Post 13008950)
since doing US-EU-Asia-US in my mind is what triggers off the two different award levels/increased ticket price in miles.

That would generally be a RTW reward. I know of one reward that has been issued USA-China(stopover)-SE Asia(destination)-USA where the outbound is TPAC and the return is on TK via IST and TATL. It can happen, but it isn't the norm and isn't something that people should be beating up the agents on if their systems won't price it.