Community
Wiki Posts
Search

transfer from CO to SAS in CPH in 1 hour?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2009, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
transfer from CO to SAS in CPH in 1 hour?

Hi,
My daughter and new husband are headed to Italy over the holidays. I have the choice of a them flying in Y on a nonstop EWR-FCO with EasyPass Seats (50,000miles each) or in BF EWR-CPH-FCO with SaverPass seats (52,500 miles each). Obviously, the mileage difference is a no brainer. What concerns me is that there is a one hour connection in Copenhagen from CO to SAS. Having never flown through CPH, I have no idea if that will be a problem or not. Being in BF, they will be able to exit the aircraft quickly. Advice please. Thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 2:56 pm

If the flights are on time then no problem. They just should make sure the luggage is checked all the way through and they can stay airside and do transfer.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
CPH is pretty compact and easy to navigate. I'd book it.

You can always try to waitlist the nonstop.

They can also have the EWR BF concierge note the flight for connection assistance on arrival, and the CPH concierge meeting the flight should be able to point them in the right direction.

Though it really is a painless airport.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:19 pm

Just like many things Scandinavian, CPH has been designed with minimalism in mind and this includes transfer times at CPH. As an American having lived there for some time in college, not to mention frequenting their airport almost weekly, I cannot imagine that it will be much of an issue.

Plus if it's ticketed collectively and there is an issue, you will be accommodated... Not to mention the fact that no one in their right minds spends more than 2 hours in coach- haha
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Should be a non-issue. Immigration shouldn't take more than 5 minutes, tops. And most SK flights leave from the same side of the airport where they will arrive. Might even have time to hit the lounge. Bags might not make it, but that has more to do with SK incompetence with regards to luggage than anything else.

I'd book the BF trip.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Should be a non-issue. Immigration shouldn't take more than 5 minutes, tops. And most SK flights leave from the same side of the airport where they will arrive. Might even have time to hit the lounge. Bags might not make it, but that has more to do with SK incompetence with regards to luggage than anything else.

I'd book the BF trip.
they would be arriving on Continetal, leaving on SK; how far apart would those gates be in walking time? I assume when they arrive from the states they have to go thru immigration, but then do they have to go back thru security?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:57 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by hughw
they would be arriving on Continetal, leaving on SK; how far apart would those gates be in walking time? I assume when they arrive from the states they have to go thru immigration, but then do they have to go back thru security?
Security from a non-schengen flight is a must. Don't forget that except the really bad examples CDG and LHR, most european airports are way easier than US airports. If they miss their flight CO/SK will accommodate them on the next flight to Rome with no extra charge.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 6:10 pm

I arrived in CPH from a flight from Ireland. We cleared immigration in the middle of the airport, it seemed. We made our flight from aircraft opening to aircraft door closing in 20 minutes with the gates being on opposite sides of the airport. Take the BF seats and enjoy the ride. Even if they miss their connecting flight, the CPH airport looks very interesting to explore.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Gosh, now that I think about it, I think you might actually need to exit the air-side of the airport and go back through the main security screening. I just don't think there is another way to do it, as there is only the one security checkpoint. When you exit from an ex-US flight, I think you are basically forced to go through baggage claim - there simply isn't any other way to go.

So, this would mean going through passport control and downstairs to baggage claim. You would then walk out the door through the customs checkpoint and then back up the stairs to security. I would think that it would take maybe 15-20 minutes from exiting the plane until you are on the other side of security, depending upon how fast you walk and how long the lines are at security (usually nor more than 5 minutes). Definitely more of a hassle than I was originally thinking, since I was just thinking gate-to-gate as the crow goes and wasn't thinking about where you would end up having to clear security.

If I am wrong and have somehow missed where there might be a separate security screening area for transfer pax (or if you don't need to go through security), then the walk would be something like 5-10 minutes, depending upon which gate the onward flight leaves from.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Gosh, now that I think about it, I think you might actually need to exit the air-side of the airport and go back through the main security screening. I just don't think there is another way to do it, as there is only the one security checkpoint. When you exit from an ex-US flight, I think you are basically forced to go through baggage claim - there simply isn't any other way to go.

So, this would mean going through passport control and downstairs to baggage claim. You would then walk out the door through the customs checkpoint and then back up the stairs to security. I would think that it would take maybe 15-20 minutes from exiting the plane until you are on the other side of security, depending upon how fast you walk and how long the lines are at security (usually nor more than 5 minutes). Definitely more of a hassle than I was originally thinking, since I was just thinking gate-to-gate as the crow goes and wasn't thinking about where you would end up having to clear security.

If I am wrong and have somehow missed where there might be a separate security screening area for transfer pax (or if you don't need to go through security), then the walk would be something like 5-10 minutes, depending upon which gate the onward flight leaves from.
I have transfered at CPH SK to SK. Obviously, I was arriving from outside Schengen, and I did have to go through passport control, but I did not go to baggage claim.

After the passport control (which was at the end of the satellite where my flight landed from EWR) I proceeded to catch my CPH-ARN through the airside terminal onto SK.

I've done this a couple of times and do recall fairly healthy distances...
Old Dec 13, 2009, 3:00 pm

I absolutely love CPH...the transfer is painless if they have their Boarding Passes already =)

I thought it was 55,000 RT for E? or was she quoting each way?
Old Dec 13, 2009, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by usa18dca
I absolutely love CPH...the transfer is painless if they have their Boarding Passes already =)

it's 105K RT for BF with saver pass.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by usa18dca

For saverpass it is. She was quoting sleazypass.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 2:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
I have transfered at CPH SK to SK. Obviously, I was arriving from outside Schengen, and I did have to go through passport control, but I did not go to baggage claim.
If this is the case, then the connection would be very easy. The walk is healthy, but not overly so, IMO. You would, at worst, be going from C to B. Dodging the shopping mall atmosphere would be the hardest part.

Either way, whether you have to exit or not, I think 1 hour is enough time. could be a bit stressful, but I would be pretty confident that they would make the flight.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I'd go for it.

Just in case there are luggage turnaround issues, pack that carry-on very carefully in case you make it and your bags don't....if you check bags at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.