FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   EWR In For It Today Weatherwise? Really? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1026280-ewr-today-weatherwise-really.html)

BearX220 Dec 11, 2009 7:57 am

EWR In For It Today Weatherwise? Really?

Woke up in Vermont this morning to learn today's scheduled MHT-EWR-SEA with generous three-hour layover has been modified to MHT-CLE-IAH-SEA, with my SEA arrival two hours later than planned. EWR looks like it'll be cold and windy but not snowed in this afternoon. I appreciate CO's proactive irrops planning (and the proactive bump to F on the IAH-SEA leg) but will things really be that bad at EWR today? CO predicts average 77-minute delays, but what else is new for December?

Mary2e Dec 11, 2009 8:01 am

Not only is it really windy today, it's also really cold.

sbm12 Dec 11, 2009 8:15 am

My flight 6pm is only 45 minutes delayed thus far, but I'm not holding out much hope that it stays that good. My plane has been running delayed since around 11am yesterday when it arrived in RSW. Since then it has been adding delays as it passes through the system.

It is sad that wind and cold - two things that happen EVERY year - can have such a significant impact on the airport operations.

nova08 Dec 11, 2009 8:19 am

We are talking about 30 mph winds however. There is an average of 1 1/2 hour arrival delays at the NYC airports

Critic Dec 11, 2009 9:01 am

Oh, good. I had to pick TODAY to return to EWR in a Q400/Dash 8.

doobierw Dec 11, 2009 10:04 am

Plus it's a Friday.....
There are more than 4 knots of wind....
The FAA spotted a cloud within 1,000 nautical miles of NYC.....

Have to dig up my EWR/FAA delays thread.

DRW :rolleyes:

ConciergeMike Dec 11, 2009 10:42 am

I can understand CO being proactive if the forecasts tell them that the wind will not be a friendly wind. Crosswinds at EWR basically grind the joint to a halt because of having to rely on 11/29.

USFreak Dec 11, 2009 1:22 pm

CHS-EWR flights are already delaying 2+ hours....no shocker there....it can be a crystal clear day and we get slapped with a minimum hour delay.
I am flying through IAH this evening going to SFO....apparently, SFO is getting hammered as my 950p flight is already delayed an hour as have the afternoon flights for the rest of the day.

BearX220 Dec 11, 2009 2:31 pm

Well, when I got to MHT I found my originally planned MHT-EWR Expressjet service, a 125p departure, had been pre-emptively cancelled overnight. The online seat map had been wide open, so the change agent may well have been a low load rather than weather. Then the aircraft serving as our MHT-CLE flight went mech at CLE; return to gate there, a/c change, and the 205p MHT-CLE departure is leaving at 430p - too late to make most of the customers' onward connections.

So after a very poor ExpressJet day and four and a half hours hanging around MHT, I am about to do MHT-ORD-SEA on UA - the only possible rebook that did not force an overnight en route.

This would be OK except that the very sight of a United Airlines airplane gives me hives and nausea; I am still getting over SFH 2000, I've had a long and horrible week with clients, and I don't think I can take any of the usual ORD antics, etc without going ping. Also, I won't get 2XEQM for this transcon as planned, so I fear I may fall a few miles short on my carefully planned Plat campaign. May have to write to OnePass and plead for original itin miles...

Aargh. I've run out of things to do at MHT and am losing my girlish enthusiasm. On the ++ side of the ledger, the UA system recognized my CO status and put me in Boarding Group 1, and the agent comped me into E+.

Benjh Dec 11, 2009 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 12969135)
Also, I won't get 2XEQM for this transcon as planned, so I fear I may fall a few miles short on my carefully planned Plat campaign. May have to write to OnePass and plead for original itin miles...

Call OPSC - I'm pretty sure you can get your original itin miles, since they changed it without your consent.

sbm12 Dec 11, 2009 3:46 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Looking at the board in EWR tonight things didn't actually appear all that bad. There were a handful of CXLD and delays up on the screens but overall not much worse than any other day I can remember passing through recently. I'm sure that rolov might disagree since his was one of the delayed flights, but things seem reasonably normal for EWR today.

Of course, "normal for EWR" covers all manner of sins but it isn't like I didn't know that going in.

recreationguru Dec 11, 2009 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Critic (Post 12967136)

Got into EWR nearly two hours late this morning from SFO -- inbound into SFO was 1 hour delayed by Newark winds and then by very strong headwinds that added 45 minutes to flying time. Our flight SFO-EWR was quick -- 4 Hours 14 minutes -- but not quick enough to make the scheduled connection work, so I got to enjoy EWR for an extra 4 hours before a Dash-8 flight to IAD. Very bumpy ride, several passengers became ill.

milesmilesmiles Dec 11, 2009 4:11 pm

Discussions about EWR Delays could easily be a sticky thread :D

There are just few good days at EWR :( Too many people.....too many planes...

SS255 Dec 11, 2009 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Critic (Post 12967136)

If it makes you feel any better, yesterday was not much better. My mother's RSW-EWR flight got delayed by 2:30 due to heavy winds, and her Q200 connection (which would have been busted anyway if it had taken off on time) ended up getting cancelled. She eventually made it home on the last (albeit extremely bumpy) EWR-AVP flight, about 3 hours late.

COpltASgldPHX Dec 11, 2009 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Benjh (Post 12969299)
Call OPSC - I'm pretty sure you can get your original itin miles, since they changed it without your consent.

I will add instead of requesting the MHT-EWR-SEA miles I'd press for the MHT-CLE-IAH-SEA!