Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR In For It Today Weatherwise? Really?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2009, 6:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by nova08
We are talking about 30 mph winds however. There is an average of 1 1/2 hour arrival delays at the NYC airports
I was driving by the airport yesterday around 2:00pm. Saw a helicopter make a very quick, steep landing over Rts 1&9 right by the CO building. Never seen a helicopter land like that (or at part of the airport). I'm wondering if that was wind related. Then as I went over the Skyway, I saw several planes (CO, Fedex) make the usual approach from the North only to make some sharp turns to the East right before the airport. They appeared to circle around for an approach from the East. Very weird. Those must have been some strong winds.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Just to button this discussion, the OPSC quickly credited me with my intended CO flights MHT-CLE-IAH-SEA, deleted the UA flights (which posted within three days!), and all is good. Just need the DEQM promo to run on my account and I can relax.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by njcommodore
I was driving by the airport yesterday around 2:00pm. Saw a helicopter make a very quick, steep landing over Rts 1&9 right by the CO building. Never seen a helicopter land like that (or at part of the airport). I'm wondering if that was wind related. Then as I went over the Skyway, I saw several planes (CO, Fedex) make the usual approach from the North only to make some sharp turns to the East right before the airport. They appeared to circle around for an approach from the East. Very weird. Those must have been some strong winds.
Those airplanes were conducting an approach to Runway 29, which will be in use for regular arrivals when the winds are such that landing on 22L or 4R puts the aircraft at or above its certified crosswind maxima.

The runway is plenty long enough for any a/c operating at EWR to land under most conditions. It's always a treat to see 767s and 777s on short final maybe 60-100 feet overhead as you pass below on the Turnpike.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.