Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Stupid Question: Web Checkin when only Premium Seats Available?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, KLM, SWA

I purchased a ticket a few weeks ago for a fairly full flight. At the time, all of the Regular (i.e. non-premium) Seats were filled, so it actually did not assign me any seat.

My question is, can I use web checkin, when the only seats available are premium seats? Will it force me to select a premium seat and then ask for money?

thanks,
James

ps: Its over Xmas (Dec 22nd) and according to Seatcounter, there are only 4-5 coach seats left.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by james968
I purchased a ticket a few weeks ago for a fairly full flight. At the time, all of the Regular (i.e. non-premium) Seats were filled, so it actually did not assign me any seat.

My question is, can I use web checkin, when the only seats available are premium seats? Will it force me to select a premium seat and then ask for money?

thanks,
James

ps: Its over Xmas (Dec 22nd) and according to Seatcounter, there are only 4-5 coach seats left.
You'll be able to select any of the "premium" seats when your check in for your flight. CO does not charge for these seats.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Originally Posted by james968

thanks,
James

All seats are available for selection at OLCI. If you do not have a seat assignment, I would suggest performing OLCI when the 24 hour window opens, or calling CO to assign a seat. Good luck not finding a middle.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:24 pm

I'll be flying Continental next week for the first time in several years. The seat map only shows premium seats available right now and I have middle seat towards the back. In light of Continental's announcement in March about charging for premium seats with extra leg room.... are they just talking about exit row seats or all premium seats. I'm wondering if I will be to select a non-exit row aisle or window premium seat at OLCI w/o having to pay.

Thanks
Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:28 pm

Programs: My views are entirely my own and do not represent my employers or their shareholders in ANY way.
I just did OLCI for a trip tomorrow. On the oversold leg, I did not have a seat assigned and I could not select a premium seat without paying for it. I don't have status, so that may skew my point of view, but it seems that things have changed since the OP.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 2:00 pm

I don't have status either so I guess I'll be paying if I want an aisle or window seat towards the front.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by letsgoredwings
I just did OLCI for a trip tomorrow. On the oversold leg, I did not have a seat assigned and I could not select a premium seat without paying for it. I don't have status, so that may skew my point of view, but it seems that things have changed since the OP.
Do you mean the ELR seats or anything in the front of the cabin? If the latter, are you sure some of those are unassigned? If the former, that is to be expected and you'll get a seat assignment at the gate, possibly in the ELR seats if no one else buys them.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 2:17 pm

Programs: My views are entirely my own and do not represent my employers or their shareholders in ANY way.
Originally Posted by sbm12
Do you mean the ELR seats or anything in the front of the cabin? If the latter, are you sure some of those are unassigned? If the former, that is to be expected and you'll get a seat assignment at the gate, possibly in the ELR seats if no one else buys them.
The front of the cabin was full, and ELR (for payment) was my only option. I'm currently flying the first leg into CLE hoping for VDB. Wish me luck.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by letsgoredwings
The front of the cabin was full, and ELR (for payment) was my only option.
Or not having a seat assignment.

Good luck with the VDB (or free ELR).
Old Apr 21, 2010, 2:59 pm

Have you tried calling?

I only ask b/c I booked a flight yesterday, and it didn't show any available seats other than the Elite reserved (I'm not elite) and the ELRs. So I couldn't choose a seat. I'm not a fan of not having a seat assignment, as with my luck I get bumped.

Anyway, I called and they gave me a seat number right away (row 16). She said there were plenty to choose from. So maybe some of the seat maps are having problems?

It's worth a shot.

Good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.