Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page > System-wide Upgrades and Presidential Platinum, coming mid-2010

System-wide Upgrades and Presidential Platinum, coming mid-2010

Old Dec 8, 09, 5:34 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

System-wide Upgrades and Presidential Platinum, coming mid-2010

Hi Everyone, today we’re pleased to announce two new programs designed to reward our most loyal customers: System-wide Upgrades and a new invitation-only Elite tier to be called Presidential Platinum. These new programs, both of which will take effect in mid-year 2010, are designed to reward those of you who fly and/or spend more than our average Platinum Elite member.

First, let’s start off with System-wide Upgrades – our new reward designed to thank our Elite members who reach Platinum and just keep on going. Starting in 2010, members who earn at least 100,000 Elite Qualification Miles (EQMs) or 120 Elite Qualification Points (EQPs) will earn four one-way electronic System-wide Upgrade certificates for use on Continental, Continental Micronesia or Copa Airlines flights. That’s a lot of flying, and for that reason, we’ve cut out as much fine print as possible. Here are the key details:
  • They’re valid with all published fares. And without any upgrade co-pays!

• They’re valid everywhere we fly. These upgrades are good for a one-way upgrade to Domestic First Class, International Business Class and BusinessFirst on any flight operated by Continental, Continental Micronesia and Copa Airlines. One certificate equals one one-way, no matter how short or how long

• They’re fully transferable. You can redeem them for yourself or anyone you desire, regardless of whether they’re traveling with you

• They’ll have the same capacity controls as OnePass Upgrade Rewards. Specifically this means R class on Continental and F class on Copa. And yes, you can request a waitlist when upgrade space is not available to be confirmed.

• The earning clock will start 1/1/2010. Earnings toward System-wide Upgrades will begin on Jan. 1, 2010 and will be based on earnings within a calendar year (Jan. through Dec.)

• You can start redeeming them in mid-2010. Starting mid-year 2010, those of you who have earned Systemwide Upgrades will be able to access them at continental.com

• You have until the end of the following Elite year to use them. Once earned, System-wide Upgrades expire at the end of the following Elite year. For example, System-wide Upgrades earned in 2010 must be redeemed and have travel completed by the end of the 2011 Elite year (which lasts until the end of Feb. 2012)
Next up is Presidential Platinum, our exclusive new invitation-only tier for those Platinum Elite OnePass members who spend the most with us. Here are some of the benefits and key details:
Benefits:

• Top priority for Elite Upgrades and flight standby. Specifically, Presidential Platinum Elite members will have the highest upgrade priority when traveling on eligible Continental and Continental Micronesia flights, and will be upgraded starting at 144 hours (approximately 6 days) before departure, subject to availability. Also, when our reciprocal upgrade program with United takes effect in mid-2010, Presidential Platinum Elite members will be prioritized behind United’s Global Services and 1K Elite members, but ahead of their Premier Executive Elite members when traveling on eligible United flights

• An exclusive VIP phone line. The dedicated VIP desk will be for the exclusive use of our Presidential Platinum Elite members and will be staffed with representatives that are specially-trained to handle your unique travel needs. Members will be given phone numbers to access this desk from anywhere in the world

• A little something extra. Members residing in the Mainland U.S. and Alaska will additionally be eligible for a fee-waived Continental Airlines Presidential Plus World MasterCard for every qualifying year as a Presidential Platinum Elite member — including a Presidents Club membership and additional benefits. The Presidential Plus card and access to its benefits are subject to credit approval. Members residing outside of our marketing area for the Presidential Plus card (residence in Hawaii and outside the U.S.) will automatically receive 25,000 OnePass bonus miles instead

Key Details:

• The earning clock will start 1/1/2010. Earnings toward Presidential Platinum will begin on Jan. 1, 2010 and will be based on spend within a calendar year (Jan. through Dec.)

• Mid-year 2010 is when the program takes effect. Presidential Platinum Elite benefits will become effective mid-year 2010 for those who qualify

• The spend threshold for 2010 is $30,000. Elite members will be invited to become Presidential Platinum Elite members based on their annual spending on travel on Continental, Continental Micronesia, Continental Express and Continental Connection. The initial spending qualification will be $30,000, and yes, Platinum Elite members will be able to track their eligible spending at continental.com starting mid-year 2010

• The spend threshold will be re-evaluated each year. $30,000 is the inaugural spend threshold for 2010. In subsequent years, this threshold will likely change in order to preserve the exclusivity of this program

• Copa is not included… yet. At this time, Copa and their partner Aero República are not part of this program. We do, however, plan to include them in the future and will provide these details at a later date

• 4MM = Presidential Platinum for life. We have replaced the 4 Million Miler lifetime benefit, which was formally Platinum Elite for life, with Presidential Platinum for life
Questions? Please post them here, and also be sure to check out our FAQ on continental.com. As always, thanks for your feedback. Your constructive suggestions and years of banging the drum have paid off!

Last edited by UA Insider; Dec 8, 09 at 6:35 pm Reason: added SWU travel area info, added SWU waitlist info
Old Dec 8, 09, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA GS/National EC Exec/Hyatt Platinum/Marriott Platinum

This is great news! Will you need two SWUs for international BF upgrades (similar to M&M or UA)? Its too bad my EQMs and spend from this year don't qualify.
Old Dec 8, 09, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2.2 MM); SPG Plat (LTG); Mar Plat; Hyatt Expl; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Vistana 5-Star Elite
Good news.
Old Dec 8, 09, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
I see the spend qualification but is there a mileage qualification as well? What if you spend $30k and but dont fly 100k miles?
Old Dec 8, 09, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
This is great news! I'll never hit Presidential Platinum in my lifetime but the SWU's are great!
Old Dec 8, 09, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver SPG Lifetime Gold
So you can use the Upgrdes on all International flights?
Old Dec 8, 09, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisinacton View Post
So you can use the Upgrdes on all International flights?
They're system-wide upgrades. That means any flight in the CO system.

Great news!
(Well, except that it means if I want to earn CO SWUs, I'll probably have to forgo my mid-tier status on AA unless my travel somehow ramps up meaningfully.)
Old Dec 8, 09, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Will the PP 30K threshold be only on CO operated/marketed flights?

How would a ticket that is issued by CO that includes other airlines such as a *A RTW ticket count?

Sounds like I may be headed to CO in 2010!
Old Dec 8, 09, 5:57 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, United Club
i will never reach $30k/year on continental, but maybe i can aim for 4MM in my lifetime!
Old Dec 8, 09, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder how the corporate customers are going to react to the Presidential Platinum status. This could encourage employees to spend more on tickets than they otherwise might. IIRC, there was a lot of pushback a number of years ago when TWA incuded a $ spend component to its mileage program.

It would have made more sense (from this perspective) not to disclose the threshold, and perhaps at the end of the year just pick the top X% of fliers by spend. That automatically keeps the program as exclusive as CO wants.
Old Dec 8, 09, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
Thanks Scott, these look great!
Old Dec 8, 09, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: PWP Postmaster General, :rolleyes: Sapphire, UA 1K, WN A-List, CM PresPlat, Marriott Gold
Great news!

Originally Posted by CO Insider View Post
  • They’re valid with all published fares. And without any upgrade co-pays!
Old Dec 8, 09, 6:02 pm

Location: KFST (Nrst=KMAF) or wherever the airplane just took me from there.; PWP Botmaster
Programs: CO Plat/1MM/STAR;Hilton Diamond;PriorityClub Plat;SPG Gold;Marriott Gold;Hertz PrezCircle;Hyatt Plat

The earning clock will start 1/1/2010. Earnings toward System-wide Upgrades will begin on Jan. 1, 2010 and will be based on earnings within a calendar year (Jan. through Dec.)

The earning clock will start 1/1/2010. Earnings toward Presidential Platinum will begin on Jan. 1, 2010 and will be based on spend within a calendar year (Jan. through Dec.)

The spend threshold for 2010 is $30,000. Elite members will be invited to become Presidential Platinum Elite members based on their annual spending on travel on Continental, Continental Micronesia, Continental Express and Continental Connection. The initial spending qualification will be $30,000, and yes, Platinum Elite members will be able to track their eligible spending at continental.com starting mid-year 2010
Uh huh, you must have been watching my signature to figure out where to set the thresholds.

4MM = Presidential Platinum for life. We have replaced the 4 Million Miler lifetime benefit, which was formally Platinum Elite for life, with Presidential Platinum for life
Aha, do I see a new category of 3MM which would equate to regular Platinum for Life?

Good news across the board. Thanks Scott!!
Old Dec 8, 09, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
I wonder how the corporate customers are going to react to the Presidential Platinum status. This could encourage employees to spend more on tickets than they otherwise might. IIRC, there was a lot of pushback a number of years ago when TWA incuded a $ spend component to its mileage program.

It would have made more sense (from this perspective) not to disclose the threshold, and perhaps at the end of the year just pick the top X% of fliers by spend. That automatically keeps the program as exclusive as CO wants.
Most larger companies have pretty strong safeguards/audit against employees traveling outside of policy. Of course, there are always people and ways of at least attempting to the game the system.
Old Dec 8, 09, 6:03 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
I'd love to know if it is revenue I spend on my personal flights, or revenue I spend while logged into my account. I also book travel for 9 others. All 10 of us flew well over 300,000 miles each this year. The travel did not all go to Continental as we need to go nonstop when it exists, but I spend a lot more than the 30k threshold on Continental, so it will be interesting to see if they value what I spend while logged in.

Search this Thread