Elite Member Redeeming Miles from non Elite Account

Old Dec 7, 09, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Elite Member Redeeming Miles from non Elite Account

I am consiering redeeming miles for myself (plat elite) from an account owned by a non elite family member. The miles are just sitting there for years, and I want to make sure that they are put to good use.

The itinirary I am looking for is only available in XN class (elite coach award). Specifically, I'm looking to understand if they would let me:

1. Redeem an XN award from a non-elite account (name on the ticket will be associated with a plat member, account miles are coming from is non elite)

2. Do a Same Day Confirmed Change (SDC) for free

3. Re-deposit miles for free if my plans change

I know that techinically the account determines the answer to these questions (so the answer should be "no" for all 3), but I wanted to know if anyone has had different expereince with any of the above. Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 09, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Numbers 1 & 3 are definitely no. Number 2 you might get away with though I'm not exactly sure how reward seats are treated for SDC versus revenue seats.
Old Dec 7, 09, 9:51 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
File under SOL

Re: #3 - the one time I dealt with a similar situation I was told that redeposits go back to the account where the miles came from, not to the account associated with the name on the PNR.
But what's the worry - since the miles don't expire just use them for your next reward ticket instead of draining your own account. Otherwise, what you are describing is a workaround that attempts to transfer between accounts without paying the fee.

Search this Thread