Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Flew UA, Provided OnePass #, Credited to UA MP Regardless

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2009, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, SPG Gold, National Exec

I flew UA from SYD-SFO last weekend and have been patiently waiting for the miles to post to my OnePass account. 4 days later and nothing, so I decide to check my UA Mileage Plus account. Surprise! The flight posted to UA, for both me and my travel partner.

Our tickets were booked before CO joined *A, so we had intitially provided our MP #. After CO joined *A, the UA website wouldn't let me update the FF# because the flight was booked as a NZ codeshare. At online check-in UA.com gave me a "please enter valid acount number error" when entering my OP# so I left my MP# in place. At airport check-in at SYD, we provided our CO *G cards and agent entered our OP #. Our boarding passes list CO *G and our OP#. We were given lounge access and priority customs/boarding.

So how then does UA get away with crediting the miles to my MP account?

I haven't called them yet, but I'm speculating it might have something to do with the fact that we were in E+ after I bought the E+ Annual Option associated with my MP account. The T&C for the Annual Option states that the miles must be credited to the MP account. If UA gives me that excuse for my ticket I guess I don't have a say, but my travel partner shouldn't be restricted as the E+ Annual Option was tied to my account.

I'm just was surprised and thought I'd share to see if anyone else had experienced this.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 11:13 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JetSetBen

I haven't called them yet, but I'm speculating it might have something to do with the fact that we were in E+ after I bought the E+ Annual Option associated with my MP account. The T&C for the Annual Option states that the miles must be credited to the MP account. If UA gives me that excuse for my ticket I guess I don't have a say, but my travel partner shouldn't be restricted as the E+ Annual Option was tied to my account.
In regards to the first statement, UA followed the T&Cs. You sat in E+ so the miles go to Mileage Plus not OnePASS. If you knew the T&Cs for the annual E+ option then you should have asked to be reseated in "E-" so you could credit the miles to OnePass.

As for the second part, I am not completely familiar with the E+ annual option but were both of you in the same PNR? If so UA's system may not be able to exclude the additional pax from the E+ section.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 5:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
The best way to remove a FF number is to call and have an agent do it. Simply updating FF numbers on websites does not always remove the first FF number entered.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 5:41 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
I flew UA from SYD-SFO last weekend and have been patiently waiting for the miles to post to my OnePass account. 4 days later and nothing, so I decide to check my UA Mileage Plus account. Surprise! The flight posted to UA, for both me and my travel partner.

Our tickets were booked before CO joined *A, so we had intitially provided our MP #. After CO joined *A, the UA website wouldn't let me update the FF# because the flight was booked as a NZ codeshare. At online check-in UA.com gave me a "please enter valid acount number error" when entering my OP# so I left my MP# in place. At airport check-in at SYD, we provided our CO *G cards and agent entered our OP #. Our boarding passes list CO *G and our OP#. We were given lounge access and priority customs/boarding.

I'm just was surprised and thought I'd share to see if anyone else had experienced this.
If your boarding pass shows your CO OP # and status send it in to claim missing miles.

tht
Old Dec 4, 2009, 5:45 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
In regards to the first statement, UA followed the T&Cs. You sat in E+ so the miles go to Mileage Plus not OnePASS. If you knew the T&Cs for the annual E+ option then you should have asked to be reseated in "E-" so you could credit the miles to OnePass.

As for the second part, I am not completely familiar with the E+ annual option but were both of you in the same PNR? If so UA's system may not be able to exclude the additional pax from the E+ section.
That might be the rules, in the past I would leave my UA MP number in for E+, and then have them change it to my BMI DC number at the gate. They never changed my seat. The only time this caused an issue was with weather when they sent me via ORD for a LGA-IAD-LHR, and I did not have time to update the number as my flight was closing as I arrived.

tht
Old Dec 4, 2009, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I switched at the gate for one UA flight from UA --> CO, and it worked no problem. Posted to CO in 3-4 days.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Yes we were both on the same PNR. Makes me wonder what would have happened if my travel partner had never provided a FF# until providing the OP# at check-in. Since no MP # would have been on file, it would appear no miles would have been earned at all for him.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tht
If your boarding pass shows your CO OP # and status send it in to claim missing miles.

tht
Isn't that sort of "double dipping" audited between aliance partners?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:18 pm

I'm booked on UA flights next week and used UA miles to upgrade to F. I'm considering switching the FFP number at check in to CO. Is this allowed?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by airzim
I'm booked on UA flights next week and used UA miles to upgrade to F. I'm considering switching the FFP number at check in to CO. Is this allowed?
Yes. You don't have to wait until check-in necessarily.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:23 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by airzim
Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes. You don't have to wait until check-in necessarily.
Just did that last week. Using miles for an upgrade is different than a free upgrade given because of status.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:29 pm

Just did that last week. Using miles for an upgrade is different than a free upgrade given because of status.
That's great. I was worried that they would cancel the return upgrade if I didn't have the correct MP number in the record to make sure the points are deducted correctly.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Isn't that sort of "double dipping" audited between aliance partners?
If it's printed on the boarding pass then UA's posting is an error, and the mileage will be credited to OnePass. However, if the UA number is printed on the boarding card, then the miles went exactly where they are supposed to go. Always verify on the boarding card what mileage plan the flight is being credited to, BEFORE you board the plane...that is your only method to confirm.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transportbiz
If it's printed on the boarding pass then UA's posting is an error, and the mileage will be credited to OnePass. However, if the UA number is printed on the boarding card, then the miles went exactly where they are supposed to go. Always verify on the boarding card what mileage plan the flight is being credited to, BEFORE you board the plane...that is your only method to confirm.
Yup my CO OP# is clearly printed on the boarding pass stub I retained.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.