Cashless Cabin Sales

Old Dec 3, 09, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Cashless Cabin Sales

So, Continental is going cashless in the cabin like SWA, among others. When they swipe the credit card, I assume it's being approved/authorized right away to prevent someone from using a bum card. How is that transaction information being relayed to the CC company for approval? How is that wireless communication any different from allowing passengers to use cell phones/broadband cards?
Old Dec 3, 09, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MKEFlyer View Post
How is that wireless communication any different from allowing passengers to use cell phones/broadband cards?
Most likely because it isn't GSM/GPRS/CDMA. Also because the devices are tested, verified and approved by the FAA, just like the Row44, OnAir, Aircell and Kiteline systems.

It isn't that wireless systems are inherently unsafe, it is that they aren't tested. Once testing is performed and the systems are validated to FAA specs they are permissible.

Finally, I'm not entirely certain that they are processed immediately rather than batched and run at the end of the flight when the ACARS system is back in range. I know that B6 limits the transactions to $25 max and I believe that is the max the CC companies permit without real-time verification/approval.
Old Dec 3, 09, 3:07 pm

Location: KFST (Nrst=KMAF) or wherever the airplane just took me from there.; PWP Botmaster
Programs: Pre Merger - CO Plat/1MM/STAR. Post Merger - UA 1K/2MM.
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Finally, I'm not entirely certain that they are processed immediately rather than batched and run at the end of the flight when the ACARS system is back in range. I know that B6 limits the transactions to $25 max and I believe that is the max the CC companies permit without real-time verification/approval.
They aren't processed in real time... yet. They are cached and batch processed once on the ground.

I have observed a WIFI SSID showing up on a 757 though, "SATlink". Going to do some digging through a couple of my contacts and see if I can learn more.
Old Dec 3, 09, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
This is my understanding as well; they batch them and transmit on the ground when systems are available. $25 can be charged without a signature, so it stands to reason they would allow this in the air.
Old Dec 3, 09, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by COFreqFlyer View Post
I have observed a WIFI SSID showing up on a 757 though, "SATlink". Going to do some digging through a couple of my contacts and see if I can learn more.
Your contacts at FlyerTalk have already done the digging for you.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...-wireless.html
Old Dec 3, 09, 5:50 pm

International flights have offered credit card purchases of duty-free merchandise with price tags in the hundreds of dollars for quite a while now with no apparent problems.

(On my last international flight I bought an item from the onboard duty-free catalog. The FA's only problem with the new electronic system was finding the abbreviated name of the item in the alphabetical list on its screen.)
Old Dec 3, 09, 5:55 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Hawaiian Airlines has had cashless cabin purchases for several years now....I wonder what system they use and how they process the transactions?
Old Dec 3, 09, 7:16 pm

Yeah, the info is stored on the unit until manually transmitted at a base -- and no, you can't use your hotel key card to game the system.
Old Dec 3, 09, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Moriens View Post
International flights have offered credit card purchases of duty-free merchandise with price tags in the hundreds of dollars for quite a while now with no apparent problems.

(On my last international flight I bought an item from the onboard duty-free catalog. The FA's only problem with the new electronic system was finding the abbreviated name of the item in the alphabetical list on its screen.)
The FA is supposed to check the ID and write down the seat # of the buyer. If there are any shennanigans, I suppose these pieces of info will help track down the offender.
Old Dec 3, 09, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by featheroleather View Post
The FA is supposed to check the ID and write down the seat # of the buyer. If there are any shennanigans, I suppose these pieces of info will help track down the offender.
Really, Moose? I have yet to see the memo stating that requirement ...
Old Dec 3, 09, 8:19 pm

Sorry to ruffle your feathers, Mr/Mrs self appointed CO know it all.

I fly NTA and work on the Duty Free Cart occasionaly, so there is no reason to make this up.

Now look at MyCoAir/Inflight/Policy and Procedures/International Information/DutyFree. Under Duty Free , there is a duty Free Sales Checklist.Under reminders, it states a passport or U.S. drivers license must be requested etc etc.

Originally Posted by LukeSkywaiter View Post
Really, Moose? I have yet to see the memo stating that requirement ...
Such negative energy.

You're welcome.

Last edited by featheroleather; Dec 3, 09 at 8:33 pm
Old Dec 3, 09, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by featheroleather View Post
Sorry to ruffle your feathers, Mr/Mrs self appointed CO know it all.

I fly NTA and work on the Duty Free Cart occasionaly, so there is no reason to make this up.

Now look at MyCoAir/Inflight/Policy and Procedures/International Information/DutyFree. Under Duty Free , there is a duty Free Sales Checklist.Under reminders, it states a passport or U.S. drivers license must be requested etc etc.

Such negative energy.

You're welcome.
My apologies, I read the referenced post assuming we were still talking about the new "cashless cabin" for headset/liquor sales.
Old Dec 3, 09, 9:12 pm

No worries.

Make love, not war.
Old Dec 3, 09, 9:20 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
I'm not clear here...do they transmit the info when the plane lands and then approach the pax before deplaning if there is a problem with the payment?
Old Dec 3, 09, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by theblakefish View Post
do they transmit the info when the plane lands
Yes.
Originally Posted by theblakefish View Post
and then approach the pax before deplaning if there is a problem with the payment?
No.

I don't know if CO just expects to eat that loss or track it some other way. I think they put my seat number in on B6 when I did it; haven't had the chance yet on CO. Really not worth risking a federal wire fraud charge for a couple rum minis. And the logistics of going back during the deplaning process and having the confrontation then are not good.

Last edited by sbm12; Dec 3, 09 at 9:33 pm

Search this Thread