Wiki Posts
Search

Cashless Cabin Sales

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2009, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by featheroleather
The FA is supposed to check the ID and write down the seat # of the buyer. If there are any shennanigans, I suppose these pieces of info will help track down the offender.
Checking ID is a violation of the merchant agreement with MC and Visa.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Olton Hall
That seems odd. Maybe there is an exception for airlines. In any case, I was just parroting what it says in our company rule book.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 11:30 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Originally Posted by sbm12
I don't know if CO just expects to eat that loss or track it some other way. I think they put my seat number in on B6 when I did it; haven't had the chance yet on CO. Really not worth risking a federal wire fraud charge for a couple rum minis. And the logistics of going back during the deplaning process and having the confrontation then are not good.
Hmmm....then what's to keep me from using my old amex that I "lost" and "reported stolen" recently....and then I "accidentally" used it to get my drink on? Seems to be an easily bypassed and kind of dumb system in place now...although ymmv.....
Old Dec 4, 2009, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by theblakefish
Hmmm....then what's to keep me from using my old amex that I "lost" and "reported stolen" recently....and then I "accidentally" used it to get my drink on? Seems to be an easily bypassed and kind of dumb system in place now...although ymmv.....
The potential to be tracked down and convicted of a federal wire fraud charge. If that is worth it for the $6 to you then go for it.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 7:48 am

However, I think featheroleather was referring more to Duty Free shopping requiring ID/passport (not all on-board sales). I think for shopping they request passport/ID for customs, not for credit card authorization/fraud purposes. Just like how you have to show your passport/ID when going into a Duty Free shop at the airport.

I agree, I would think that checking IDs for all other on-board services would be against the merchant agreements, but that doesn't mean it isn't done, or that the variations in the rules won't confuse people.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by andyli
Just like how you have to show your passport/ID when going into a Duty Free shop at the airport.
At the airport they want to see your ticket proving that you are traveling internationally. I've not been asked for ID. On the plane it is pretty clear that you are, in fact, traveling internationally.

Perhaps the airline has a different merchant agreement specifically for those transactions. Or they're just violating it as a matter of principle. I don't buy duty free on board so that saves me from worrying too much about it.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:53 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
For your reading pleasure. According to this thread, a vendor can ask for ID, but not require it to complete a transaction.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...e-plastic.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.