FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Class of Service Bonus Miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1021048-class-service-bonus-miles.html)

tvetter01 Nov 26, 2009 1:53 pm

Class of Service Bonus Miles

I recently flew from IAH-EWR-FCO on a Z fare ticket. When the ticket was purchased, it was an A fare, but it became Z, when they tinkered with the fare buckets upon entry into Star Alliance.
The A fare did not receive any bonus RDM's for the flight (though it did receive 150% EQM's). The Z fare is now supposed to receive 150% RDM's and 150% EQM's.

The flight credit posted promptly, and I received 150% EQM's and 100% RDM's, plus my elite RDM bonus. I did not, however receive the 50% RDM bonus for the Z fare.

It was my understanding that all tickets that had been converted to Z fare with the change in buckets were treated fully as a Z fare (for mileathon, bonuses, etc.).

Should I have received the RDM bonus for the Z fare, or should I not have, because my ticket was originally purchased as an A fare?

Thinking about it, I don't believe I've ever flown a fare that was eligible for an RDM class of service bonus before (A fares, award tickets, or upgrades only).

Note: the flight was within the last week, and the remainder of the itinerary has not been completed, so if those bonuses normally take a while and I'm just being impatient, feel free to tell me so.

Thanks, as always.

Collins Nov 28, 2009 7:42 am

Z fares do not earn a RDM bonus per this page:
http://www.continental.com/CMS/en-US...ntinental.aspx

sbm12 Nov 28, 2009 8:10 am

The FAQ suggests that the Z fares would earn 150% RDMs these days, dropping to 100% on January 1. That was based on this thread, specifically point #7 in that post. Reading it again now I see that it isn't particularly clear that it is supposed to be that way. It could simply be that the 100% RDMs kicked in on the 27th instead and I misinterpreted in my reading of that thread.

Sounds like it is correct and I need to fix the FAQ.

tvetter01 Nov 28, 2009 8:38 am

SBM, I think your interpretation is correct, as per Continental the Z fares do earn 150% RDM (as of now, anyway).

CO insider stated that A becomes Z and is eligible for Z earnings, but I'm not sure if that includes the fares that were originally purchased as A fares and then converted, or not. If not, it's not a big deal - I didn't expect a 50% RDM bonus when I purchased the tickets, but if I'm supposed to get it, I'd like to.

sbm12 Nov 28, 2009 10:13 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I knew that he posted something about that but was unable to find it this morning. Based on what you have quoted I think that you are supposed to get the credit, at least until the first. I doubt that OPSC or WeCare2 will take FT as an authoritative source so you might be in for a challenge to get the credits but a well placed PM will probably solve the problem once the other avenues are exhausted.

radonc1 Nov 28, 2009 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Collins (Post 12890461)
Z fares do not earn a RDM bonus per this page:
http://www.continental.com/CMS/en-US...ntinental.aspx

This page also shows you earning 2 segments per flight. We have been told that this is dropping to 1.5 segments as well so it appears this chart needs amending. Just an FYI.

tvetter01 Nov 28, 2009 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 12890952)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I doubt that OPSC or WeCare2 will take FT as an authoritative source...

I would imagine not. I'll try OPSC after the entire itinerary posts.

tvetter01 Nov 28, 2009 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1 (Post 12891388)
This page also shows you earning 2 segments per flight. We have been told that this is dropping to 1.5 segments as well so it appears this chart needs amending. Just an FYI.

I hadn't thought about it, since the segments aren't important to me, but I did get two EQP's per flight, just like the chart would indicate - the current Z fare EQM's and EQP's are the same as the former A fare, though.

I guess beginning on 1/1/10, it would be 1.5 EQP.

Collins Nov 30, 2009 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1 (Post 12891388)

The 1.5 change doesn't take effect until January, though.

What's interesting is there are earning charts quoting two different earning rates for Z on the Continental website--which one do we believe? I'd say the OP has a chance to challenge it based on that link (you may want to screen cap it?).

My feeling, however, is that Z was moved down to become the new discount first/business fare versus A being moved up to Z (if that makes sense). If we consider the crediting of tvetter01's itinerary and the timing of the Z fare change (to coincide with the *A move), I'd bet the chart link I posted reflects the correct earnings.

While CO Insider did mention that A fares become Z and are "entitled to Z earnings" I'd take that statement to mean exactly that--former A earns what current Z earns.