Wiki Posts
Search

CO99 EWR-HKG..always delayed???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CX Dia, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Dia
CO99 EWR-HKG..always delayed???

I have a tight connection of 90 minutes on this flight 1 month from now and it seems every time I look to see the on-time performance this flight is delayed. Today it is delayed 5 hours for "maintenance." I am thinking I better make alternative arrangements and assume that I will not make my connection. I would think a flight like this would be on-time more often than not. I have flown CX on this route and never had any problems, why is CO late so often?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
It's because they don't have too many connecting customers at HKG on this flight, and the aircraft just sit at HKG for 15 hours overnight. So, there is no big hurry to get this flight out of EWR; and if they have a irregular operation and need a spare 777-200 for another route, they will do well to delay this flight out of EWR compared to most other routes with short turnarounds.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
I was in HKG last week and noticed this trend also only because I was there twice at the gate to pick up friends who came after me. I have been flying this route since it started and have never seen this before. The few times that I was delayed was never more than 1 hour. One time there was a problem with solar flares and we went over the Pacific but we were well compensated. The only connection Ive seen is HKG-CAN and 60 minutes there is considered a legal connection.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Many 772 flights have been taking MX delays lately. It hasn't been a good month for CO's 772 operations.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA
I have flown CO99 several times and have been lucky enough to have been late only once, by about 20 minutes.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12
Many 772 flights have been taking MX delays lately. It hasn't been a good month for CO's 772 operations.
Yep, people have to realize they arent brand new any longer and CO works them to the bone. (cant balme them there no sense leaving them relax some where when they could be bringing in some badly needed $$$

The main problem is that CO doesnt have a spare or 2 lying around like a relief pitcher on a baseball team. So since they work em hard when something goes wrong look out

Most of them land and rest an hour or so and then back to work, no real time to fine tune them

imagine what it would be like had HKG been a quick turn around
Old Nov 18, 2009, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
As another poster stated on a different thread, mechanics aren't happy with the pace and direction of contract negotiations.(2% pay raise) Not sure if they fall under the RLA, but they are smart enough to know the widebidy fleet is the backbone of CO's operation and they want to make sure everything is working 100%."By the book"

Just sayin.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by featheroleather
As another poster stated on a different thread, mechanics aren't happy with the pace and direction of contract negotiations.(2% pay raise) Not sure if they fall under the RLA, but they are smart enough to know the widebidy fleet is the backbone of CO's operation and they want to make sure everything is working 100%."By the book"

Just sayin.
But they are/look to be leaving gaps as well with some sloppy work...I just hope no one pays with their lives over contracts.

2% raise right now isn't bad, many companies asking for reduced pay and not giving raises.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold = nothing, UA Million Miler; Alaska MVP Gold 100K
Bad Night?

Looks like other ACs are in the MX mood.

-78 to ZRH (767-200)
-80 to GVA (767-400)

Both are running an hour to two late.

-Jim
Old Nov 18, 2009, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Steph3n
But they are/look to be leaving gaps as well with some sloppy work...I just hope no one pays with their lives over contracts.

2% raise right now isn't bad, many companies asking for reduced pay and not giving raises.
Planes are getting fixed, just a lot s l o w e r than normal. A mechanic told me that after reading this site, no broken seats or inop AVOD's will occur, no broken APU's etc. If you see a plane with a missing wing, let em know. Bankers on Wall Street got bonuses while mechanics on Main street should settle for 2% raises?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 7:05 pm

Programs: CO GOLD
This is anecdotal only, but when I had an ontime arrival in EWR in late July, I noticed a few hours later that the turnaround flight to HKG was announced delayed till 10 PM (or later).

Would SUCK if you booked another connecting flight outside Continental's grid.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 7:48 pm

Programs: OnePass, Royal Orchid Plus, Mabuhay Miles
Originally Posted by sjmoss23
I have a tight connection of 90 minutes on this flight 1 month from now
Others have explained this well. If there's a MX issue in EWR this flight is usually the one that gets the sick/late bird.

I've been lucky to have only missed 2 connections in the many times that I've taken this flight. CO has always taken care of me just fine (airport hotel & rebooking) even though they didn't originally book the connection.

Btw, if you have a departure that is 45~60 min late you'll still have time for the connection but ask CO to have an agent at the gate to carry you through the connection. They will do it & it'll make a big difference.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Steph3n
But they are/look to be leaving gaps as well with some sloppy work.
Please back up such an incredible and borderline libelous claim with something more than significant rolling delays in the wide-body fleet. What makes you think that there are gaps or that corners are being cut?

Originally Posted by craz
Yep, people have to realize they arent brand new any longer and CO works them to the bone.
Nah...it is a labor action.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 8:14 pm

99 (HKG) left 6 hrs late today.

Ditto for PEK.

The beating will continue till morale improves.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CX Dia, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Dia
Wow I had no idea there any problems with the mechanics, thanks for all the input. I am booked on a connecting flight with CX to MNL with only 90 minutes to spare. I think I might just cancel my CO reservation and book CX outright because if this trend continues the chances of me making my connection are slim to none.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.