Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

'Feeling guilty in BF, IAH-FRA! Uhm..., with kids!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Feeling guilty in BF, IAH-FRA! Uhm..., with kids!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2009, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental, American
Red face 'Feeling guilty in BF, IAH-FRA! Uhm... with kids!

Yes... another thread about kids in BF... leave now, you've heard it before I am sure.

So, while booking our Christmas Market vacation this year, I happened to see that all the "good" flights were taken. On the dates that did work, the ones with reward seats, CO happened to have BF seats open. There were coach seats too, but for 2500 extra miles per ticket, I could get BF.

We have four children, 6,4,2 and an infant who will be four months on the day of the trip. I'm not worried about the infant, she will sleep the whole trip. It's not the six year old, she's well mannered and disciplined. The 2 year old is also well behaved, does not cause problems.... it's the 4 year old, my son whom I fear... when his sisters call him a knucklehead sometimes, well you know. In all seriousness though, he is wel behaved, but he does get excited and talks loud sometimes until he is reminded to use his "inner voice".

We plan on keeping up the kids late the day before the trip, and the whole day of the trip (no naps), so it should help put them out after about 3 hours in flight.

It's only the IAH-FRA segment, so I guess some will appreciate that. But the question I have for you is, what would you have done? Would you pass up the opportunity?

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; Nov 12, 2009 at 5:21 pm
Old Nov 12, 2009, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
You have every right to buy whatever ticket you want, and you're being prudent as a parent by trying to minimize disruption to others.

I say kudos to you. Not all parents are that considerate. ^
Old Nov 12, 2009, 5:18 pm

Programs: CO Platinum
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp
Would you pass up the opportunity?
Hell no !! It's your dime my friend spend it as you wish. Never fear about your children. Enjoy your trip and cherish their youth ^
Old Nov 12, 2009, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Seat selection helps...

I've gone so far as to select seats so that my son is behind my wife in case he touches the seat in front... it will be my wife's. The other is too short, and it won't be a problem. The six year old is like an adult, she is a good traveler and knows to sit and enjoy herself.

It is hard to stay all in one row due to the seating arrangement, 2-1-2, so I got two rows of 2, and I will sit in the middle... a hall monitor if you will.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 5:30 pm

I've gone so far as to select seats so that my son is behind my wife in case he touches the seat in front... it will be my wife's. The other is too short, and it won't be a problem. The six year old is like an adult, she is a good traveler and knows to sit and enjoy herself.

It is hard to stay all in one row due to the seating arrangement, 2-1-2, so I got two rows of 2, and I will sit in the middle... a hall monitor if you will.
I usually enjoy kids on flights. The novelty to them is priceless and should be cherished. Now for the lil hellions whose parents gave up trying years before, that is entirely another story.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 5:33 pm

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
.. it's the 4 year old, my son whom I fear...
I have to chuckle at that comment....but as others said you have every right to the seats. I find it very respectable to know that you are considering others that are traveling and planning ahead. I hope you and your family enjoy the xmas holiday!
Old Nov 12, 2009, 5:34 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
I would do the same thing, and bully for you for booking it! No way I want to be on your flight, HookTheBrotherUp , but good catch and I hope you and your family enjoy the flight, seriously.

Will
Old Nov 12, 2009, 5:45 pm

Enjoy. Sounds like you are going out of your way to ensure that others do as well.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Why feel guilty? You have obviously have spent enough butt in seat time to earn the miles. You deserve to enjoy a vacation with your family. You seem to be the kind of parent that has consideration for others and tries your best, so don't sweat it, and have a good time.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
You deserve it, you earned it, now get those seats up front. Just get ready for some assh*t to shoot you a dirty look. When 2 year old Jasmine has her own seat with me up front, I just smile.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Trust me when I say that a C cabin full of Flyertalkers on their way to the *A Mega DO last week was far more disruptive to other C pax than three well-behaved children and a sleeping baby.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
I have 3 children and 4 grandchildren between 12 and 18. Never once would I have thought twice about bringing any of them into a BF cabin except for the expense in miles. We've taken them to fancy restaurants from infancy on. They've never caused a problem. They've had great experiences. Go for it and I'm sure you'll see more smiles than grimaces when you enter the cabin.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 6:43 pm

Programs: CO Plat, US Air Silver, SPG Gold
2500 extra miles per ticket?

So, while booking our Christmas Market vacation this year, I happened to see that all the "good" flights were taken. On the dates that did work, the ones with reward seats, CO happened to have BF seats open. There were coach seats too, but for 2500 extra miles per ticket, I could get BF.
Did CO change the rules for BF rewards? 2500 extra miles per ticket to get you in BF instead of coach?
Old Nov 12, 2009, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Nothing special/new... for a Plat...

I am not sure of the reward rules, but for what it's worth, I am a CO Plat and each ticket is a SaverPass reward for 52,500 points.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; Nov 12, 2009 at 8:43 pm
Old Nov 12, 2009, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
I am not sure of the reward rules, but for what it's worth, I am a CO Plat and each ticket is a SaverPass reward for 52,500 points.
Sounds like SaverPass BF at 52,500 vs. EasyPass Coach at 50,000 miles each way. Obviously, a no brainer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.