Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So I finally made elite status...now what?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2009, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

So I finally made elite status...now what?

Finally got to silver elite. Anyone have a quick rundown on the riches about to be bestowed on me?
Old Nov 5, 2009, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
some free baggage, priority baggage, checkin and security on CO only. not much for alliance partners. Oh yes, about a 5% chance of upgrade on domestic routes overall, significantly increase your chances if you pick routes strategically.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 3:44 pm

Key benefit is early boarding (overhead space still available) and seat choices. An occasional upgrade is a bonus. And the elite call-in number usually gets you to an OK agent.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steph3n
some free baggage, priority baggage, checkin and security on CO only. not much for alliance partners. Oh yes, about a 5% chance of upgrade on domestic routes overall, significantly increase your chances if you pick routes strategically.
Upgrades are, as I'm sure they are with most folks, what I'm most interested in. Any tips on what to do or how to maximize my chances? I almost always fly out of Sacramento to Houston and connect from there.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by folsomfella
Upgrades are, as I'm sure they are with most folks, what I'm most interested in. Any tips on what to do or how to maximize my chances? I almost always fly out of Sacramento to Houston and connect from there.
Fly on Tues/Wed/thurs to reduce business travel traffic, and fly at times business people normally 'would not' fly. (redeye is normally good but i don't know SMF schedule to know if they have one)

With DEQM twice this year, there are a lot of silvers, some of them don't fly much so you don't really fight with them unless you both are not flying much, at the same time
Old Nov 5, 2009, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Oh yes, about a 5% chance of upgrade on domestic routes overall, significantly increase your chances if you pick routes strategically.
5%? He said he made Silver, not Platinum. j/k

SMF-IAH is relatively easy. Chances are better on off-peak days/times and on planes with larger F cabins.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Does Continental mail out a "elite features" pamphlet or anything along with the card (or do they even give you a card anymore)? I'm just not clear on how the whole upgrades request works and their web site is fairly terrible.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Does Continental mail out a "elite features" pamphlet or anything along with the card (or do they even give you a card anymore)? I'm just not clear on how the whole upgrades request works and their web site is fairly terrible.
The CO Website is pretty good at providing documentation about the program.

You'll get a similar such pamphlet with your card in the mail.

You do nothing for the upgrades. Just sit back, and if they come through, they come through. You could agonize over it and obsessively watch the online upgrade lists like most of us do, but it won't help your blood pressure.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 5:01 pm

Programs: A shadow of my former self
Our OP fella ought to become best friends with pda.continental.com on his iPhone, Blackberry, or other portable electronic device -- anything that transmits or receives a signal. Then he can watch as his upgrade chances evaporate.

David
Old Nov 5, 2009, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Hertz PC,National EE
Like people said, the website covers roughly what continental will give you, but I think the most valuble feature you get is instant upgrades to 1st from Y an B fares. You'll trump platinums etc. with that...the problem is you're looking at $1000 tickets, so you kinda earned that upgrade. If it's for business, great...if it's personal well...you probably aren't buying that many super high end tickets.

Like someone said above. pda.continental.com is really useful. Go there before your flight and you can see how far down the list you are for getting upgraded. In all liklihood, this will depress you more than anything, but it at least helps you temper expectations
Old Nov 5, 2009, 6:58 pm

Programs: CO non-elite, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by astan100
Like someone said above. pda.continental.com is really useful. Go there before your flight and you can see how far down the list you are for getting upgraded.
Since the OP is new to CO, it's worth pointing out that the same information is on the regular continental.com website under flight status. The PDA is very convenient from your mobile device, however. ^
Old Nov 5, 2009, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
..significantly increase your chances if you pick routes strategically.
I.E. do EWR-MCO roundtrips from Tuesday to Thursday. Otherwise get used to seeing your name at #22 or below on all upgrade standby lists.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 7:16 am

Programs: Continental One Pass Platinum; HHonors Gold
SAC does have a red-eye flight to IAH. Leaves about midnight CA time and arrives in Houston about 6 am local. Me and my coworkers have taken it a couple of times. Upgrade success on it has been nearly 100%...but most of us are plat or gold. As a silver best benefit is early boarding IMHO.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:28 am

Programs: CO Silver
Originally Posted by TommyC80
I.E. do EWR-MCO roundtrips from Tuesday to Thursday. Otherwise get used to seeing your name at #22 or below on all upgrade standby lists.
Funny that you mention, I actually got a silver upgrade on EWR-MCO about two weeks ago and I think I was #2 on the list with 11 open seats ... LOVED IT
Old Nov 6, 2009, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by danacara
Funny that you mention, I actually got a silver upgrade on EWR-MCO about two weeks ago and I think I was #2 on the list with 11 open seats ... LOVED IT
Good! That's a painful flight to do in the back. In the nursery school that CO calls Coach, there is usually a mixture in the air of dirty diapars and baby formula which pairs perfectly with the screaming and crying all around you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.