Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental FA - Abuse of Power to Have Passenger Removed from Plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2009, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Plat

On a recent flight while sitting in the front of the plane, I saw a CO FA clearly abuse her ability to have a passenger removed from the flight. I won't get into specifics and have never had an major with a FA but where does one draw the line? It was clearly an abuse of power (in my opinion) to have the passenger removed and it wouldn't be fun to be on the receiving end when a FA is having a bad day.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
It is difficult to give advice without any details.

If you think the FA was out of line, based on the facts at hand, then you can always file a complaint.

Getting directly involved at the time may come with risks.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

I didn't know the individual removed from the plane. Unfortunately, I wasn't thinking fast enough to pass along my business card for reference of the removed passenger.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nachosdelux

Getting directly involved at the time may come with risks.
PS. I agree.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 2:08 pm

How do you know it was an abuse of power, and expect any of us to take you seriously without telling us what happened? Even if you did give an accurate account of what YOU saw, you have no idea what may have transpired that called for the action.

A year or so ago, we had someone removed from the plane because while an FA was walking towards the back, he hit her in the stomach and said he "wanted to get [her] attention".

None of the other passengers would have known what was going on, and for all they know, it might have looked like he was being removed for no reason.

So please, don't go and start making blind accusations without knowing all the details, and certainly don't go and make blind accusations here without at least giving us the courtesy of providing some details.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 2:19 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Foolish Post

How silly to start such a juvenile rant

with NO explanation
Old Oct 19, 2009, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

LS - It isn't a blind accusation. It clearly happened in 1st class and I saw the whole conversation and interaction take place as the passenger was one of the last to board the plan--also another 1st class passenger.

Personally, I have no interest in discussing this specific case but would rather discuss that at the time of occurrence there isn't a lot of checks and balances when the decision is made to remove a passenger from a plane. What is CO's SOP? Can one FA make the decision? Do they have to have some consensus among the FAs?
Old Oct 19, 2009, 4:29 pm

The flight attendant did not have anyone kicked off of the plane. The ultimate decision is up to the Captain or the GSC (Red Coats usually) They could base their decision based of facts. BUT THE FLIGHT ATTENDANT NEVR KICKS ANYONE OFF. That is our policy. I am a flight attendant for Continental.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

TG - Thanks for the internal info. Is it a judgement call by the GSC or Captain or are there some defined guidelines?
Old Oct 19, 2009, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
You said it was the last onboard, there could have been an altercation on the jetway or at the GA, you simply don't KNOW and are making the story fit your own preconceived notions.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 5:02 pm

If a passenger is threatening or abusive, absolutely he can be removed.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 5:03 pm

I believe it is a judgment call by the Captain or the GSC. I do not know their policies or guidelines if any they have. I would think a GSC would have more guidelines then a Captain.

Originally Posted by bidhere23
TG - Thanks for the internal info. Is it a judgement call by the GSC or Captain or are there some defined guidelines?
Old Oct 19, 2009, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
On a recent flight while sitting in the front of the plane, I saw a CO FA clearly abuse her ability to have a passenger removed from the flight. I won't get into specifics and have never had an major with a FA but where does one draw the line? It was clearly an abuse of power (in my opinion) to have the passenger removed and it wouldn't be fun to be on the receiving end when a FA is having a bad day.
So, you're wrong on the underlying policy (not the FA's decision) and you won't conceal the facts?

Yet you felt the need to come and make an anonymous, self-aggrandizing post?

Please don't waste our time in the future...either specify facts, or stay quiet.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 6:22 pm

LS - It isn't a blind accusation. It clearly happened in 1st class and I saw the whole conversation and interaction take place as the passenger was one of the last to board the plan--also another 1st class passenger.
You only saw 100% of what you saw. There may well be something you didn't see, and you really can't comment on what you didn't see.

I'm not saying FAs never make rash decisions; I flew with a captain once who was talking about an FA who wanted to kick passengers off for not wanting to gate check their bags and take their seats. But as travelguy70 has pointed out, it (thankfully) isn't the FAs decision. We can only inform the captain and GSC of a situation in which a passenger potentially needs to be removed, and they will make their decision based on the situation and sometimes after interviewing the passenger involved.

That being said; I have only been on 3 flights in which a passenger needed to be removed. Two were for being obviously drunk and obnoxious, and one was for the situation I mentioned a few posts earlier. If you wanted to PM me the details of what you saw, I'd be more than willing to see if I could either agree or disagree with you regarding your account and Continental's reaction, granted it still wouldn't solve the puzzle as there are probably other details you failed to witness (not because you weren't paying attention, but perhaps because they occurred behind the scenes). You may be correct or incorrect in your assumptions, it's just hard to read those assumptions without you providing any further details. But as travelguy70 stated, in short, there are procedures set in place, and it's not the FAs decision.

Cheers.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Yup

Originally Posted by CO FF
So, you're wrong on the underlying policy (not the FA's decision) and you won't conceal the facts?

Yet you felt the need to come and make an anonymous, self-aggrandizing post?

Please don't waste our time in the future...either specify facts, or stay quiet.
I"m sure you meant "reveal" and not "conceal" but otherwise

you have hit the nail on the head

This O/P clearly has no credibility and is just spouting off

Next case

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.