Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

JOIN IN - OFFICIAL 2009 Secret Santa Extravaganza!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JOIN IN - OFFICIAL 2009 Secret Santa Extravaganza!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2009, 9:32 am

Programs: DL, UA, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by wharvey
I will send out all the final assignments the following evening.
I can't wait!
Old Nov 30, 2009, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
"Outing" yourself is totally up to you...
William! I'm shocked .... shocked, I say. You making reference to one of my posts .... and in the same sentence using the word "outing." I thought FT had a policy of "Don't ask; don't tell!"
Old Nov 30, 2009, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
frogface63,

"Outing" yourself is totally up to you... some people do it... and others like to play the game of not telling who they are up front... and some have NEVER told their person who they were...
That brings up a question I was thinking about last week: if you'd like to play the secret game, how do you normally handle the return address on the envelope?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 8:35 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by jackal
That brings up a question I was thinking about last week: if you'd like to play the secret game, how do you normally handle the return address on the envelope?
Santa Claus
North Pole

use someone else's
Old Nov 30, 2009, 8:43 pm

You have "nothing bad to say on Wharvey", but you are ok with basically telling all of your previous Santa's (save one) publicly that their gifts were thoughtless?

That's kinda deserviing of coal-in-your-stocking IMO

Originally Posted by squeakr
I would love to be part of secret santa, and did so for a few years and I did some pretty awesome gifts if I say so myself.

Sad to say with one year's exception I was not the recipient of anything coming close to what I see others doing. And not just monetarily or even primarily so - it was the lack of thought I remember most.

So I have given up.

Nothing bad to say on wharvey - I doubt he assigned me to people who don't like me
Old Nov 30, 2009, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Santa Claus
North Pole

use someone else's
Ah. Better throw on some extra postage just in case...
Old Nov 30, 2009, 9:45 pm

Ah. Better throw on some extra postage just in case...
or take it to the actual post office
Old Dec 1, 2009, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA *Gold, Marriott PLT, Hyatt mid-tier whose stupid name I cannot ever recall
maintain the mystery

Originally Posted by missydarlin
or take it to the actual post office
in a city/state/country not your own. ;-)
Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
As others have suggested, just put "Santa, North Pole" as the return address, and hope everything goes well. Or just use your return address without the name.

If you have a family member with whom you discuss your deepest, darkest secrets ("Hi. My name is kevinsac and I am addicted to miles!") you can recruit them to help.

But you also can use other FT members to help! I have ordered and mailed things for others .... and I have been an intermediary to communicate between Santa and the recipient.

Many ways lead to Rome, especially on FT!
Originally Posted by SeeYa
in a city/state/country not your own. ;-)
I also have mailed packages while on trips.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Woo Hoo, Let Christmas begin!!! My partner arrived home today to find Santa had left a huge box from DisneyStore.com.... Forget saving this until Christmas, that poor box did not survive ten minutes in the house wth that Disney fanatic... Seeing how I am in Lake Placid this week, I will not get to see the fabulous snow globe until Saturday.

Thanks Flyertalk Santa from San Diego!!!!!
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
Mailed my package today! Pinged Santa to let him know. All done. Cheers and happy holidays.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:23 pm

I put my real name and my real address. One could easily figure out who I am, but I know that I have never scoured this thread to match things up so if someone else does and figures it out, good for him/her.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:42 pm

Re: signing your name or not
In past years I usually just wrote "Secret Santa." Now that people can participate 1, 2 or 3 times, I write something like "Your SS from NYC" just so the recipient knows which things come from me and which come from somebody else.

Re: not participating because of lame gifts
I've actually gotten very thoughtful gifts from people. On the other hand, I've worked really hard to send thoughtful gifts as well, and there have been years where once I added in the cost of cards, wrapping, postage, etc. the total spend was well over the suggested limit.

One thing I would strongly request is that people thank their Santas! One year my recipient posted approximately every three days how he was eagerly waiting for his gift, and I could sense his disappointment grow every day in December. According to the tracking info, his gift was delivered on December 23. I never saw one post saying whether he liked it, or even acknowledging that it had been received. That was a bummer. So, please! Post something that makes your Santa feel warm and fuzzy. It's such a great feeling to read a post that makes you feel like your effort was appreciated.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 4:20 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Santa is happy to announce that all assignments have been delivered to his helpers!

I hope everyone has a great Holiday season!
Old Dec 2, 2009, 4:26 pm

First present sent b/c it had to be sent directly from the source. Other presents ordered to be assembled and mailed later

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.