Reload this Page >

"Oz Fest #7" – Adelaide South Australia - Memorial Day Weekend, May 28-30, 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Oz Fest #7" – Adelaide South Australia - Memorial Day Weekend, May 28-30, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2009, 6:49 pm

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Impressive!

22 definite starters in 21 hours. ^

This will probably be a winner.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
To be updated from time to time. Please PM error's & omissions

Platinum - Confirmed (in order of confirming will attend)
  1. ozstamps SYD
  2. MargoOz SYD
  3. Itsalongwaydown Aust
  4. Sue Oz Aust
  5. Serfty MEL
  6. To Market to Market MEL
  7. wijomas AKL NPE
  8. Bundy Bear BNE
  9. Efrem BOS
  10. f0zzyNUE NUE
  11. chchkiwi LAX
  12. Perthite PER
  13. falconea MEL
  14. Mr falconea MEL
  15. anat0l BNE
  16. tom911 SFO
  17. jswong WLG
  18. restlessinRNO RNO
  19. Where2next? DEN & AOK
  20. plusone DEN & AOK
  21. GreenFireFlyer SAN & LAX
  22. klc SEA

Gold Maybe
  1. Kiwiflyer AKL
  2. gvdIAD IAD
  3. Downunder girl SYD
  4. Mini DG SYD

Silver - Interested
  1. Mwenenzi MEL
  2. JohnK SYD

Bronze - can't make it
22 Definites for an overseas doo in way less than 24 hours must be a FT world record!

Great record keeping as usual by Mwenenzi.

And a big apology to partner in crime, Bill - itsalongwaydown

In error I typed his handle as fromdownunder in post #1.

That is the handle of a Senior Moderator on www.stampboards.com that I own and run, and he lives near Bill in Vic, and looks like Bill, and I had a brain fade when typing this thread up, right after stepping home after 40 hours on planes from Tierra Del Fuego Argentina-IAD-SFO-SYD yesterday!

All edited now, but for anyone wondering who "fromdownunder" was ..........

Well HE is in fact our beloved cat wrangler on the LEFT here!

Old Jun 17, 2009, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by ozstamps
22 Definites for an overseas doo in way less than 24 hours must be a FT world record!

Great record keeping as usual by Mwenenzi.

And a big apology to partner in crime, Bill - itsalongwaydown

In error I typed his handle as fromdownunder in post #1.

That is the handle of a Senior Moderator on www.stampboards.com that I own and run, and he lives near Bill in Vic, and looks like Bill, and I had a brain fade when typing this thread up, right after stepping home after 40 hours on planes from Tierra Del Fuego Argentina-IAD-SFO-SYD yesterday!

All edited now, but for anyone wondering who "fromdownunder" was ..........

Well HE is in fact our beloved cat wrangler on the LEFT here!
I have to admit getting a wee bit confused as to where fromdownunder came from. So first the dates are slightly whacked out and now you've mixed up the Bills. Looks like air travel is having a bit of a mushing effect on your brain, ozstamps - get some sleep! (In a real bed, that is, not an aircraft bed )

And cat wrangler - that's a new expression on me!

As for the sign up record - perhaps we should submit this to TalkMail, although I'm wondering whether the Airbus DO might have taken the cake on this one (sign up rate was rocketing at one point)...
Old Jun 17, 2009, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

anatOI ... no idea if they had 22 definites in less than a day?

Maybe someone might check?

And sure, anyone who wants to pass this onto to TalkMail for their consideration please do so .. the more that come the merrier!

If we had kept an email mail data base of all previous Ozfest attendees, so as to send them a heads up, we'd probably be at 40 Definites by now.

Yes a good night's sleep was nice ... UA Sleeper Suites are nice, but we both had colds after walking around Patagonia Glaciers hours before we left, so the brains were scrambled a bit after 40 hours on planes and in airports.

Old Jun 17, 2009, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anat0l

And cat wrangler - that's a new expression on me!
I think it is a term we coined at a much earlier OzFest.

Herding 40 or 50 Flyertalkers to be in one place, at one time, is harder than herding cats to do anything together.

Talk to anyone who has ever organised any large FT doo and they'll know exactly what the term means.

Many who attend these things have absolutely no idea of the dramas and nonsense and pettiness that goes on totally behind the scenes, and the 100s of hours it all takes to pull together.

As in life generally, 1% of the population cause 99% of the issues.

Glen
Old Jun 17, 2009, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Ok. Time to make a possible return to Australia. Put me down as a maybe along with a +1.

Have to see how things look come then, but should be a good time to escape the office, right before everything goes crazy.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Please add Mr & Mrs BiziBB onto your Gold list; we will go Plat once I check dates and arrange flights.

As OzStamps says, it's those infamous OMG 1 percenters at the airport mucking up the cat herding. Hopefully not mucking up the FTers, though.
Fortunately, I've heard 1%ers are not welcome in SA any more.

(OzStamps, have you made it to an alpaca station on your travels? Cool pic.)
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:36 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's too early to use my (otherwise useless) Delta miles, so please put me down as maybe. This Kangaroo Island looks adorable and so much to do! Could we go and stay over instead of rushing around same day? Or have that option in lieu of winery and come back with you all?
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:03 am
In Memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
sounds awesome
put me down as Platinum please
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by LLM
It's too early to use my (otherwise useless) Delta miles, so please put me down as maybe. This Kangaroo Island looks adorable and so much to do! Could we go and stay over instead of rushing around same day? Or have that option in lieu of winery and come back with you all?
Kangroos Island is best done over several days as an adjunct to your OzFest travels.

It's basically a day there and a day back (unless you fly -no miles or points :shock- could be done in the one day but you would not see much.

More here: http://www.tourkangarooisland.com.au/

Last edited by serfty; Jun 18, 2009 at 4:58 am
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
We might have to spend longer, to see Kangaroo Island, too.

^ Good idea and a good tip. Keep them coming.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 6:04 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
I have to admit getting a wee bit confused as to where fromdownunder came from. So first the dates are slightly whacked out and now you've mixed up the Bills. Looks like air travel is having a bit of a mushing effect on your brain, ozstamps - get some sleep! (In a real bed, that is, not an aircraft bed )
.... and I thought it all sounded perfectly normal for ozstamps!
Old Jun 18, 2009, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I initially post the wrong dates each year .. an OzFest tradition by now.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 7:14 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Please add Mrs. DUF, Micro DUF and myself to the Gold list for now. Date is reserved.

ADL is a great destination. Been there thrice this year already. And one of the best things about Adelaide is QF81. Nothing better than to start your domestic flight at this international QF F Lounge with Eggs Benedict.

I hope the flight will still be there next year. Doesn't look good as it is not showing in the timetables.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 8:07 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
The only IC hotel there is a Holiday Inn. There is a fair distance between that and the Hilton, but the Holiday Inn is closer to Rundle Mall and the street where the JetBus runs through compared to the Hilton.

Unless your extended family has spy cams everywhere, most of the activity (I believe) will be either in the city or far out (perhaps, a possible tour of the cricket ground excepted). So that shouldn't be a problem
Hmm I think I might like the Hilton more than the Holiday Inn . Maybe its time to talk status match at Hilton. I will go with general consensus of where the main activities are. If rates get ridiculous, I have loads of rellies to stay with .

No, my rellies dont have hidden spy cams LOL, but once they HEAR I am in ADL (with Mini DG) they will expect a visit...oh dear. I will have to schedule a stop to my 98 year old grandma though^.

I was wondering who the person was who was trying to copy my name....this fromdownunder person! Glad he is not actually using that handle on FT .

BTW make me go PLAT please with MINI DG as +1. I am GOLD on all my other programs. What the heck....I can always downgrade later if there is enough room in "coach" . I want to help your attendee 21 hr record and there are some FTers attending that I have always wanted to meet.

Last edited by Downunder girl; Jun 18, 2009 at 8:14 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.