Search

Fifth Annual PBI-FLL Meet: Dec 5-7, 2008

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Fifth Annual PBI-FLL Meet: Dec 5-7, 2008

Note: The threads for the first four PBI-FLL Meets proved very popular and, as a result, became very long. It is quite possible that the same thing will happen this year and I don't expect anyone to read through a ton of posts to find the necessary information. To avoid that, everything you need to know will either appear in the first three posts or be linked to in those posts. If you are attending, be certain to keep an eye on these posts in order to keep up with any updates/changes.

Yes, we're doing it again! The Fifth Annual PBI-FLL Meet is officially scheduled for Dec 5-Dec 7, giving you the opportunity to escape the frozen north, head to Florida for the weekend, get tanned during the days and pickled during the nights.

Highlights:

** Free booze every night and free buffet breakfasts every morning (only for those staying at the Meet's central hotel,The Embassy Suites in Boca Raton.)

**An artery-choking dinner on the patio of Boca Raton's best ribs restaurant. (Don't worry -- it has a wide selection of other meats, seafood, and even vegetarian meals.)

**Doorprizes -- and you are guaranteed to win one.

**Shopping in Florida's biggest mall and also at one of its cheapest (no, they are not the same place).

Every year we have gotten between 30 and 50 FTers together for this event. A few have come to each of them. More have attended two or three times. Still, first timers are always welcome and are often the spice which makes the event perfect. (This is not to be confused with the hot sauce which always adds the perfect taste for the Meet -- and the meat.)

MRKEY has made arrangements for the big dinner on Saturday night. For the past two years it was held at Lucille's Bad to the Bone BBQ in Delray Beach and he will be able to get the same arrangements this year.

Of course, the earlier we can get some figures for him of how many people will be there, the easier it will be for him to work things out with Lucille's.

Socrates was able to get special rates for us at the Embassy Suites in Boca and that will serve as the central hotel for the meet. (Obviously, you are free to stay at the hotel of your choice but having stayed twice at the ES I can recommend it very highly.)
Please check Post # 101 of this thread for information on the group rate.

Last edited by Dovster; Nov 20, 2008 at 8:16 pm
Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Schedule:

Friday night, Dec 5:

We will meet at 5:30 pm at the bar of the Embassy Suites. This will be a preliminary get together, will probably last about an hour or so, and then each person will make his own arrangements for dinner.

At 9 pm we will have a more formal get together at a local bar -- Millers Ale House, 1200 Yamato Road. Hopefully, it will be within walking distance of the central hotel.

Saturday morning, Dec 6:

Trip to the Sawgrass Mills Mall, 11 am. See post # 299 for details.

Saturday night, Dec 6:

7 pm -- The Big Dinner: MRKEY reserved the patio of Lucille's Bad to the Bone BBQ, 710 Linton Ave. Delray Beach. (If you want a ride from the Embassy Suites, be prepared to leave at 6:30.)

We will not be getting a set menu -- each person is free to order whatever he wants (and, of course, pay for it himself). The menu is available on the website and is very reasonable -- and the food very good.

We have had a tradition at past PBI-FLL Meets that will be continued this year.

We have had doorprizes that work like this:

1. Everybody who attends the dinner on Saturday brings a prize. There is no dollar value set (or even suggested). Indeed, one of the best prizes I ever got was a freebie set of pajamas that somebody had been given when they flew AF in FC.

There are, however, a few requirements: The prize you bring should in some way reflect you. It can be something from your country (or state or city), something from the airline you prefer, something that reflects your profession or hobby -- that is up to you.

Also, it can not be liquid or too heavy or easily breakable (remember, most of us are flying back from the Meet).

2. The prizes are put out at a table at the Big Dinner and names are thrown into a hat. Everybody's name goes in -- even if he forgot to bring a prize. If a couple attends, each should bring a prize and both will win one.

3. The names are drawn. While everybody will get a prize, it will be on the basis of "first drawn gets first choice". To make certain that nobody goes home without a prize (even if some people forget to bring them) I will bring a few extra from Israel.

(As we will have some extra prizes, even the last person chosen will have a choice.)

Prices: Completely irrelevant. If you come from Italy and want to give a Lamborghini, just put the keys on the table. If you live in Atlantic City and want to give a box of salt water taffy, or a deck of cards from Caesars, that is also fine.

In the past, I have seen prizes which probably ran about $50 and others which were freebies (like the Air France pajamas that I won).

Sunday, Dec 7: Trip to the Festival Flea Market (11 am). See post # 299 for details.

You are free, of course, to attend only one event, some events, or all of them. If you will be skipping either the Friday night drinks or the Saturday night dinner, however, please make that clear in advance.

In addition, I am open to suggestions for additional events.

Last edited by Dovster; Dec 1, 2008 at 3:03 am
Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:17 am
Original Poster

When you know what hotel you will be staying at, and the dates you will be there, please post it so that we can update this list.

Definite:

ALCARLOS (Saturday dinner only)
aSiAnRiCk (Local resident -- Friday only)
bdnyc (Friday only)
BellaB + 1 ((Embassy Suites, Boca, Dec 5-7)
bk3day
Dovster (Embassy Suites, Boca, Dec 5-8)
Flygirl555 +1 (Ale House only)
Getiton
Green Dragon + 1 (Embassy Suites, Boca, Dec 5-7)
Jim + Sandee
KathyWdrf (Embassy Suites, Boca, Dec 5-7)
kudzu + 1 (Marriott Residence Inn, Boca, Dec 5-7)
LegalEagle (Renaissance, Fort Lauderdale, Dec 5-8)
MikeMpls + 1 (Embassy Suites, Boca, Dec 5 - 7)
MRKEY + 1
Ms. Xyzzy (Saturday night dinner only.)
MsEverywhere (Marriott Renaissance, Boca, Dec 4-7)
scoow (Embassy Suites, Boca, Dec 5-7)
ShopAround
Socrates (Embassy Suites, Boca, Dec 5 - 7)
wendyhamburger (Saturday night dinner only -- local resident)

Possible:

msvacation

Last edited by Dovster; Dec 6, 2008 at 11:14 am
Old Jun 25, 2008, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
We will be there.

Originally Posted by Dovster
For the first time ever, I am arranging a meet which I am not 100% certain I will be able to attend.
In which case, perhaps Traveller's gorgeous blond sister will take advantage of your absence?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
In which case, perhaps Traveller's gorgeous blond sister will take advantage of your absence?
If she shows up I will be there no matter what my doctor says!

(Edited to add that I am now definitely attending.)

Last edited by Dovster; Aug 31, 2008 at 3:13 am
Old Jun 25, 2008, 9:40 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Great, except we'll miss. I have something in LA on Dec 5th that I can't get out of - ie, it's client-related & my contract is up for renewal in Dec so to the client's I'll go.

Ok, this is the 2nd time I've asked - what's up w/ the you can't walk up hills & you get the doc's permission in 60 days? What did I miss? Hope you're ok!

Cheers.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Ok, this is the 2nd time I've asked - what's up w/ the you can't walk up hills & you get the doc's permission in 60 days? What did I miss? Hope you're ok!

Cheers.
Ah, but I answered you the first time you asked. All you had to do was follow the link to this thread.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:19 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Between the time that we exchanged private messages and now, I found out that I have a final examination in order for me to earn my Managerial Coaching Certification.

It is scheduled for December 6, which is the last day of class for me.

I then find this thread, hoping that this is not scheduled for that weekend, but it is. This figures.

I cannot miss the examination, but I will ask and see what I can do...
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canarsie

It is scheduled for December 6, which is the last day of class for me.

I then find this thread, hoping that this is not scheduled for that weekend, but it is. This figures.

I cannot miss the examination, but I will ask and see what I can do...
There were a few reasons why this particular weekend was chosen (including the fact that you thought you would be able to attend).

The big ones were that the weekend before it is Thanksgiving and the weekend after it is getting close to Christmas.

You certainly have to take that examination but would it be possible for you to fly down after it? That should get you there in time for the big dinner.

In the meantime, I will list you as a "Possible".
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:29 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

You certainly have to take that examination but would it be possible for you to fly down after it? That should get you there in time for the big dinner.

In the meantime, I will list you as a "Possible".
You know...that is a thought.

After all, December 6 is the only day I have scheduled.

Yes, please list me as a “Possible”...
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:00 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I'd like to attend... if any airline still offers service to either FLL or PBI by then.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
I'd like to attend... if any airline still offers service to either FLL or PBI by then.
Don't worry. There is a last ditch routing available for you. It has the additional advantage of getting you big-time MQMs.

Air France is doing quite well so it is certain to still be in operation in December. You can fly IAD-MIA with a connection in CDG. It is only a short ride from Miami to whatever hotel is chosen as our central place.

I am listing you as a "Definite" but if that is not right, let me know. Also tell me if anyone will be joining you.

I'm looking forward to seeing you there, assuming I have not died. If I have died, make certain that Cholula forks out for expensive champagne.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:21 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
I am not allowed to miss this Meet.
Please put me down +1 as a definate.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MRKEY
Please put me down +1 as a definate.
Done. And as you and your Plus One have made it 5 definites, I am now free to ask for it to be added to the Consolidated Do List Thread. That's not too bad a record for a Meet which has only been announced for four hours.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 1:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I am now free to ask for it to be added to the Consolidated Do List Thread.
Added.

And you can put Mrs. Cholula and me down as possibles. We have a trip to the NE scheduled for that weekend but things can always change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.